Coaching Changes

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

Coaching Changes

Postby Eric » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:06 pm

The openings at the moment are Michigan State, North Texas, Iowa State, and probably Miami. Who gets these jobs?

What about Butch Davis being the new coach at North Carolina? I think UNC has enough talent to go to a bowl game, it's just that Bunting has underachieved there. I say, depending on how forgiving the schedule is, that they'll be 6-6 in the Meineke Care Care Bowl, or if NC State grabs that bid, the MPC Computers Bowl. They'll have a new culture there once Davis comes to Chapel Hill.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Openings

Postby RazorHawk » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:07 pm

Could we get some stats on this issue? :twisted:
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Openings

Postby donovan » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:08 pm

RazorHawk wrote:Could we get some stats on this issue? :twisted:

Yes you can...there is a 50-50 chance the information is correct.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:04 pm

If it is the sporting news the odds are more like 40-60. Then you have ESPN at 25-75. :lol:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Howdy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Coaching Changes

Postby Howdy » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:33 pm

Eric wrote:The openings at the moment are Michigan State, North Texas, Iowa State, and probably Miami. Who gets these jobs?

What about Butch Davis being the new coach at North Carolina? I think UNC has enough talent to go to a bowl game, it's just that Bunting has underachieved there. I say, depending on how forgiving the schedule is, that they'll be 6-6 in the Meineke Care Care Bowl, or if NC State grabs that bid, the MPC Computers Bowl. They'll have a new culture there once Davis comes to Chapel Hill.

----------------------------------------------------------
Yes
It is true about Iowa St.
Dan will finish the year but he did resign.
Just last year they gave him a new contract.
Thing sure can change in a years time.
I do not look for him to be out of coaching long.

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:36 pm

That's sad for Iowa State. They have the potential to have a pretty good football team and McCarney just took them to bowl games in '04 and '05, so I really can't come up with a reason why they went donwhill this year. Everything was pointing towards a contender for the North title in the preseason :?

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:51 pm

Bunting has the facilities, the money..but the talent hasn't shown what they can do.

NC has had problems of late in certain spots...the defense (LB's and safety's) have been a half step slower than most ACC defenses and unable to control the edges, the QB's have been shaky, the talent at WR (past Jaborsky) has been thin. NC does have some good red shirts ( the 2007 class was the best in years). That will be good next year for someone
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:05 pm

I think Butch Davis is going to do well there in year #1. He should be able to lead the Tar Heels to a 6-6 season, don't you think?

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:20 pm

It depends on how easy the OOC schedule is. They do have talent, well, enough to get to a bowl game.

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:31 am

Here is one situation I have my eye on after the 2007 season: will Utah State fire Brent Guy and have John L. Smith go back to his roots as head coach of the Aggies?

Some others I see opening up are NC State, Duke, Miami, there's a lot of firing talk going around with Stanford for some reason, could Minnesota open up if Mason fails to go bowling?, and there will likely be some other openings at small schools from the MAC and Sun Belt. It's likely too early for Mississippi State to fire Sylvester Croom, but if he fails to do anything and they keep losing to teams like Tulane next year, he probably shouldn't come back.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:18 am

Spence wrote:If it is the sporting news the odds are more like 40-60. Then you have ESPN at 25-75. :lol:

I would have to use negative numbers on ESPN. 8)
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:24 am

TDDVandy wrote:My gut tells me Amato is done at NC State, Coker at Miami, and Bowden may decide to hang it up at FSU. Groh may also be done at Virginia.

I'd be surprised if NC State dumps Amato that fast. He's a NCSU alum and has done pretty well there. It's not like the Wolfpack has a rich history of ACC Championships. From 1957-1979 they won seven conference titles, but haven't won one since then. I don't like Amato, but that's just a shallow comment based on his looks and actions. He must be a good coach, though - just look what's happened to FSU since he and Mark Richt left.

I'd be shocked if Bobby Bowden retired. He's not going out on a couple of down years because he honestly believes he has recruited good athletes and can still win.

Dumping Larry Coker would be nuts, in my opinion.

Al Groh is a possibility but I don't think it will happen this year. They were only expected to make to a minor bowl, at best.
"Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

Return to “General Discussion”