Bowl Season

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Bowl Season

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:08 am

I for sure though Marshall would put up a better fight ...

They got turnover happy, and Central Florida certainly took advantage of it.

There were bursts where the Herd seemed as if they were going to stay in it; but those fizzled out quickly. If you can't protect the ball, you're gonna have problems. If the other guy is scoring off of your mistakes, that's a bigger problem. If the other guy is getting penalized twice as much as you, and you cannot keep up ... that is just a disaster.

Great game plan by UCF. Defensively, they kept after the QB all game long. They practically lived in Marshall's backfield. Even when they didn't bring the pressure, Marshall's QB acted as if he was expecting it. He over threw open wide outs, by gunning the ball faster than they could react. And when the pressure got through, he was throwing the ball away, more frequently than at his receivers.

I did see several mistakes by Marshall's Defense that left me dumbfounded. The one that sticks out the most, is a huge run right up the middle by the UCF Halfback, that went all the way for a Touchdown --- Look, if you are as fast, or get juked, I get it ... you got beat on the play. However; when the HB breaks the line, and there are no Linebackers at the 2cnd level, then the Safety needs to be in position to make the play --- When the HB gets through the middle of the D-Line, and there are no Linebackers to beat, and there is no Safety in the Defensive Exterior ... and the Corners are all pressing the line ...

I don't no if Spence was watching, but if he was, he had to be shaking his head.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:41 am

I didn't get to see it, but it sounds like the coordinator called a bad defense. It sounds like some of them were in man while they had a blitz on with with the lb's. If you have to get pressure on the Dline.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:23 am

Turnovers by The Herd + Points off turnovers by the Knights + Lack of defensive execution by the Herd + Offensive execution by the Knights + The Herd’s loss of poise + the Knights’ quickness and speed = Buttocks Bruises. :?
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:17 am

Merry Christmas everyone....... :D

BYU gave Hawaii an early Christmas Present on Christmas Eve....... I’m suspect that Cane and Highfly must have either shook the present and figured out what it was or saw the gift before the BYU Coaching Staff got it wrapped and knew it was a BRAIN FART!!!!!!! :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:00 pm

Merry Christmas!

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:48 pm

Merry Christmas....to all.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:48 pm

And Miami goes down....La Tech's defense was enough to shut out the Canes...
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:48 pm

Miami doesn't seem to know what they want to do. I watch them try to play side to side the whole game. You can't make a living moving the ball unless you figure out how to go north and south. 3 different QB's, nothing cohesive about the offense at all. It wasn't that they were over matched.
On Defense Miami played decent except in the secondary. Their secondary, especially Blades, didn't play well.
I don't think Diaz is ready to be head coach. He has to pick a QB, develop an identity, develop his QB, and not be so indecisive. Miami has better players than a lot of teams they play. They have good enough players to win 7-8 games on just talent. There is no reason for them to be below .500. None at all.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:24 pm

Miami has athletes....maybe, like FSU, it is coaching, scheme, etc.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:03 am

billybud wrote:Miami has athletes....maybe, like FSU, it is coaching, scheme, etc.

It is definitely partly coaching. The oline plays ok. The dline and linebackers are decent. Their backfield isn't very good. Even the qb (Williams) isn't bad. Not probably their savior, but serviceable. Their offensive scheme is awful. Coaching on that side of the ball can't be great. I can see flashes of talent covered up by bad route running, backs not running to the holes. Lots of confusion. Lack of preparedness. I think that is worse than just getting beat. It is easier to take when the other team is just better.

I agree Florida State was a lot the same way. Hopefully both can right the ship. I think FSU has the right guy. I think he was hired with the right criteria and for the right reasons. I'm not sure that was the case with Taggert.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:36 am

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:38 am

I don't like the current trend of leaving for NFL conditioning rather than play in the bowl....I can see why the kids don't want to risk a possible career in a meaningless bowl game...but..

For instance....FSU will be without their All ACC Defensive Tackle Marvin Wilson, three year starter DB Stanford Samuels, star running back Cam Akers...

The teams at the bowl are weaker than they were during regular season...

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:50 am

Talented, but inexperienced quarterbacks and piss-poor offensive line play...... it was like watching the Mountaineers last season and deja vu all over again for me. :|

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... r-reports/

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:55 am

The Canes were without a half dozen players....Both defensive ends...LB Pinckney..were key losses. Going to NFL....opted out.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:06 pm

The Hurricanes had a tough end of season....

...Jennings... out for season...injury

...Hill....opted out of bowl...NFL

...Thomas...opted out of bowl...NFL

...Garner....opted out of bowl...NFL

...Huff...academics forced red shirt

...Dallas...out...injury

...Steed....out...injury

...Williams....academics forced RS

...Martell....out much of season...personal leave of absence...only had 5 yards passing all season (in the bowl)

...Bolden....out...injury

...Pinckney...opted out of bowl...peparing for NFL draft

...Linguard...knee injury

Return to “General Discussion”