Early Call on Arkansas

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Early Call on Arkansas

Postby billybud » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:08 pm

Back in April when I had Arkansas in my top power teams, there were some questions and one or two hoots...although the archive doesn't go back that far, I remember posting that I liked Steele's analysis of their 2005 season...close losses to decent teams.

Looks like Steele had this one right.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:53 pm

I don't remember, but if he had Arkansas at the top he made a pretty good call.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:58 pm

Guess Steele must have give them a pass on the Southern Cal game. :roll:

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:32 pm

Steele had the Hogs number 13 in his preseason poll.

Also, the SEC coaches, at the beginning of the year picked the preseason all SEC first, second, and third teams. Auburn had the most players selected to the three all sec teams with 14, Arkansas and Florida came in with 12 a piece. I guess the SEC coaches saw something special with this group of guys as well.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:58 pm

The Razorbacks are a good group, one of the best, but there are a couple of things they are going to have to overcome ..... the early season loss to Southern Cal and their QB situation.

I believe that's what has the voters a little spooked and is the basis for their concern when it comes to the Hogs.

All a team can do is, "Just keep winnin', baby"

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:29 pm

I think the QB sitiuation is resolved. Casey Dick is the starter. If not for a back injury right before the USC game in week one Dick would have started from day one. He gives ARk. a little bit more experience, and more of a passing threat right now. He started the last four games of last season and was impressive.

Used to before the BCS days....you could lose at the beginning of the year and still have a shot at the big game. For example the Trojans lost their first game of the season to Arkansas in the mid 1970's...can't remember the year, but did not lose again and won the National Championship. Am I saying the Hogs are NC caliber....no. All they can do is go out and win games. If they keep winning they will get the respect. If they can win out....and win the SEC championship game....I think they have a case to playing for the NC. They would have beaten: Auburn (on the road), Tennessee, LSU, and Florida. I don't think it will happen but that would be impressive and would mean the Hogs had won 12 straight games.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:47 pm

The so called experts on ESPN are predicting Arkansas to play in the Sugar Bowl against either Notre Dame or Louisville.

Ivan Meisel says Arkansas vs. Louisville in the Sugar Bowl

and

Mark Schlabach says Arkansas vs. Notre Dame

I know it does not mean anything. They change their minds every week. But Arkansas finally getting credit for winning football games.

Here is the link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2627844

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:57 pm

"Just keep winnin' baby." :wink:

Return to “General Discussion”