Go Hogs?

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Go Hogs?

Postby Yeofoot » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:00 pm

Definition of irony: I'm moving to Bentonville, Arkansas and (hopefully) will be attending the Sam Walton School of Business at the University of Arkansas.

I was out there interviewing last weekend, and there was a sports bar in my hotel, so of course I'm wearing my burnt orange sweatshirt with a big longhorn on the front, and go down to watch the Tech-Texas game, apparently the Razorback game was on, and the rather sizable room was packed. It was something out of a movie. I walked in, and I swear the room fell deafly quiet as everyone turned to give me the evil eye. I took a shot, and get the heck out of dodge. I felt like I was wearing a white pointed sheet over my head and just walked into a black panther rally.

I've been highly advised to remove all things longhorn from my car if I don't want it set on fire. They hate the 'Horns more than OU and A&M combined. This is going to be interesting.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:32 pm

:lol: :D :lol: Good Luck Yeofoot .... it's quite a stretch from a Moooooo to a Soooooooeeeeeee. :lol: :D :lol:

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:52 pm

hey...shouldn't be tough to switch...hogs and steers are both just farm animals with steers being bigger and hogs being smarter.

And you eat both between slices of bread. Hogs just don't have that cowpuncher romance...people can say they are a rancher and puff out their chests...being a hog farmer doesn't have the same cachet.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:17 pm

Yeafoot...I was born and raised in Bentonville, Arkansas.....the Home of Wal-Mart. Anyway, Razorback football is serious in Northwest Arkansas. Like I have said before when a child is born in Northwest Arkansas you are taught to hate the Longhorns before you are taught to love the Razorbacks. The Razorbacks dominate life in Northwest Arkansas especially during Football season, oh and Basketball season, oh...I forgot and Baseball season...well pretty much all the time. I have two degrees from the UofA and loved going to school there. I think you will like it too. If you have any questions about the area then let me know. Of course you should not wear any longhorn stuff into public...especially during Football season. I live in California right now and am hopefully moving back to Northwest Arkansas next year. Good luck with school.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:38 pm

billybud wrote:hey...shouldn't be tough to switch...hogs and steers are both just farm animals with steers being bigger and hogs being smarter.
Only thing I know comes from Arkansas are 'steers & queers'. I 'borrowed' that line from "Officer & a Gentleman".
Mayonaisse, you are a 'yellow-belly'. Louis Gossett, Jr, as the D.I.

Billybud wrote:And you eat both between slices of bread. Hogs just don't have that cowpuncher romance...people can say they are a rancher and puff out their chests...being a hog farmer doesn't have the same cachet.
I woudl'nt think either one would be that glamourous. I have some 'acquaintences' who are cattle ranchers. It's ok, but I think I'd get pretty tired of tending to farm animals, day-after-day (not that it's not a good career field for those who enjoy it). I simply don't like doing that kind of work, personally. As the saying goes "to each his own". And, I march to my own 'drummer'.
Last edited by colorado_loves_football on Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Whorns

Postby RazorHawk » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:50 am

I am from Iowa, but attended the Univ of Arkansas in 1963 and definitely the game that meant the most and the team we hated the most was Texas. The hatred was because we usually lost and it often times meant the SWC title. Also the old SWC had 8 and 9 teams in it, with all but Arkansas being Texas schools. There were no referees from the state of Arkansas, you guessed it, all were from Texas.

I actually have a great amount of respect for the Texas program and traditions, but also get a great deal of satisfaction on beating the Longhorns, and wish we still played them every year.
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:16 pm

Well, Razorhawk, we will play the Longhorns the next two seasons. I too wish they would make that a perminent game on the schedule.

Go Hogs!
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:59 pm

The best rivalries were born more out of respect then hatred.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:48 pm

The best rivalries were born more out of respect then hatred.

Usually the only thing that rivals hate more than each other, is other rivalries that think their rivalry is bigger.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Go Hogs?

Postby donovan » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:32 pm

Yeofoot wrote:Definition of irony: I'm moving to Bentonville, Arkansas and (hopefully) will be attending the Sam Walton School of Business at the University of Arkansas.

Hmmm so Walmart Business school....so are tickets to the Univ Of Arkansas games..like $2.99. Does the turf come from China? PLayers?
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

mountainman

Re: Go Hogs?

Postby mountainman » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:36 pm

donovan wrote:Hmmm so Walmart Business school....so are tickets to the Univ Of Arkansas games..like $2.99. Does the turf come from China? PLayers?

:lol: :D :lol: donovan, I don't think you need any encouragement, but there are times you really crack me up. :lol: :D :lol:

Return to “General Discussion”