Hmmmm, Worth Reading .....

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
mountainman

Hmmmm, Worth Reading .....

Postby mountainman » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:33 pm

For some time now the NCAA has been cautioning members schools about being mindful of how much money is being spent on college athletics .......

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/w ... index.html

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:09 pm

You can always count on the good ole gov't to find a way to strip some more money out of our pockets. Who would pay for this tax? The people buying tickets and supporting the schools athletics. All taxes get passed on to the consumer, whether you see them or not. We pay for every tax that is passed by congress. It is all added into the price of all goods and services. I hope one day that people will come to understand that and quit the fight about who should be taxed and start a fight with the people who want to tax. Everyone who works in that body, no matter what letter goes after their name and state, wants to find a way to separate us from our money. That is their primary job and we need to change that.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:27 am

If you tax money enough at every point of exchange, eventually they get all the money......

This is like when the government fines one of its own agencies for misdoings......and who really pays the fine.

Von Mises where are you when we need you.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:28 am

You are a bright man.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:47 am

There are some posts that are already quite 'taxing' ..... :lol: :D :lol:

Please, keep the comments coming ...... I would appreciate all perspectives and thoughts ..... don't really know what's driving this or on which side of the issue, if I knew what it was, I would come down on.

Thoughts, please, ladies and gentlemen.

For what it worth, here's where I am currently:

At first glance, I would be against such a notion, but I also would not want championships to simply go to the highest bidder, so to speak. Those should be reserved for the ones who scores the most points and not the ones with the most dollars.

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:18 am

Delaney makes a valid point when he ponders what profit there would be to tax. The basic goal of a tax-exempt business is to simply cover its costs to break even. This is not suggesting that I am in favor of a tax. To the contrary, I believe that further investigation would prove there is little, if anything, to be taxed.
"Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:19 am

..fanatic wrote:Delaney makes a valid point when he ponders what profit there would be to tax. The basic goal of a tax-exempt business is to simply cover its costs to break even. This is not suggesting that I am in favor of a tax. To the contrary, I believe that further investigation would prove there is little, if anything, to be taxed.

This is one of the myths of a tax-exempt or non profit business. It is absolutely not ta fact they do business to just "cover costs to break even." It only means they do not distribute the profits to stockholders private individuals. Some of the most profitable companies in this country or non-profit.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:43 am

What is driving this is an effort to force athletics to do something they want them to do. It isn't the first time congress has stuck their nose into college sports.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:02 am

Ron Gilmore did a segment during a game last Friday night, as I recall, about the top money spending schools as compared to the lowest ones. Cannot help but wonder if this issue is somehow related to his piece or was the stimulus for it.

One thing that leaps out at me and is somewhat confusing to me is that, as I understand it anyway, the colleges and universities are either financed by the states or private interest. Which leads me to question why this is being considered at the federal level? :?

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:26 pm

It shouldn't be. I can't speak for other schools, but Ohio State athletics are fully funded by the athletic department. The school or the state gives them zero dollars. Actually the athletic department gives money to the university for some non athletic pursuits.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:36 pm

Is that operating costs, Spence ..... what about capital expense? :?

The reason I ask is I would really like to know what the basis is for the issue. :?

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:41 pm

Spence wrote:It shouldn't be. I can't speak for other schools, but Ohio State athletics are fully funded by the athletic department. The school or the state gives them zero dollars. Actually the athletic department gives money to the university for some non athletic pursuits.

This is not an issue about Football. This is a fundemental problem with the Federal Government. For many years now, the purpose of taxation is not to fund programs that a legitimate functions of government but to merely redistrubute income. They will find any lump of money that they can lay seige to and redistribute it. Think it is senseless to look for reasons why other than the core problem.....now that I am worked up again...

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:44 pm

Spence wrote:It shouldn't be. I can't speak for other schools, but Ohio State athletics are fully funded by the athletic department. The school or the state gives them zero dollars. Actually the athletic department gives money to the university for some non athletic pursuits.

From first hand knowledge I suspect that most universities do not receive money for athletics but the programs are self funding. Like Ohio State,I know this to be true for the University of Washington, Washington State and Bosie State. Their football programs,(Basketball is self funding) pay for the entire athletic program of the school as well as money into General Revenue of the school, oft times for special projects.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:47 pm

Easy there, Planter of Evergreens. :lol:

I'm considering e-mailing Ron Gilmore and asking him what's up before I contact my congressional representative.

Just want to be able to ask an intelligent question. :wink:

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:50 pm

donovan wrote:From first hand knowledge I suspect that most universities do not receive money for athletics but the programs are self funding. Like Ohio State,I know this to be true for the University of Washington, Washington State and Bosie State. Their football programs,(Basketball is self funding) pay for the entire athletic program of the school as well as money into General Revenue of the school, oft times for special projects.

Did the Boise State Athletic Department fund the construction of their athletic facilities, such as their stadium, or was the state involved?

Return to “General Discussion”