Paterno takes a big hit.

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Paterno takes a big hit.

Postby Spence » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:15 pm

Joe got tackled on the sidelines by a Penn St player going for a 1st. down. Paterno had to be forced to sit while the checked out his leg. I hope Joe is alright. Had the hit been a little higher it would probably have ended Paterno's season and quite possibly his career. How would you like to be the Penn State player responsible for that?
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Paterno takes a big hit.

Postby donovan » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:50 pm

Spence wrote:Joe got tackled on the sidelines by a Penn St player going for a 1st. down. Paterno had to be forced to sit while the checked out his leg. I hope Joe is alright. Had the hit been a little higher it would probably have ended Paterno's season and quite possibly his career. How would you like to be the Penn State player responsible for that?

Joe has had game time issues this year....the Big D and now this....
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:27 pm

This one may keep him in a chair for a while. He flew back ahead of the team. If he doesn't have a broken leg I will be surprised. I think he may rather have the touch of D rather then this.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:11 pm

Looks like Joe has fractures in his tibia. The fact that they use the word "factures" usually means it wasn't a clean break. Which means probably surgery, pins, and months of rehab. He could probably coach from the sidelines, but it looks like he will have to change his hands on approach to practices and give up some control to his coaches. He won't like that at all.

I think people using this as a reason for him to step down should be ashamed. Paterno has spent 40+ years on the sidelines of Penn State and deserves to walk out on his terms. He is a legend. He has single handedly(sp) done more for that program then anyone in its history. You don't fire legends, it never works out well. (see Woody Hayes)

Same goes for Bobby Bowden. Florida State football owes everything to him. If he wants to try and outlast Paterno and coach for 5 more years it should be his decision to make. These guys are very competitive. They love what they do, and they love to win football games. They have earned the right to try and do just that.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:56 pm

Spence wrote:

I think people using this as a reason for him to step down should be ashamed. Paterno has spent 40+ years on the sidelines of Penn State and deserves to walk out on his terms. He is a legend. He has single handedly(sp) done more for that program then anyone in its history. You don't fire legends, it never works out well. (see Woody Hayes)

Same goes for Bobby Bowden. Florida State football owes everything to him. If he wants to try and outlast Paterno and coach for 5 more years it should be his decision to make. These guys are very competitive. They love what they do, and they love to win football games. They have earned the right to try and do just that.

I agree, and people that do not like this, can just send their kids to some other school....Programs are much bigger than the players that are there for four years....not matter how large or small the school.

It is up to the school to maintain a consistent standard. Take Stanford...absolutely no lessening of the requirements for entrance. None. So some years the football teams sucks. But at least everyone knows the rules and can decide.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:52 pm

Spence wrote:I think people using this as a reason for him to step down should be ashamed.

Same goes for Bobby Bowden.

They have earned the right to try and do just that.

Amen ......

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:19 pm

Edited version to comply with the anti infringment copyright of some no count beat writer at AP...who can not get the stories right on the war, economy and certainly on sports.....but they imply that Coach Paterno has been told he can not coach from the sideline. He may be able to do it from the pressbox.... citing some worthless AP article.

I hope he stays as long as he desires. We need more Paterno's.
Last edited by donovan on Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:05 pm

donovan wrote:I hope he stays as long as he desires. We need more Paterno's.

Could not agree more .... we need more Paterno's.

Same goes for Coach Bowden ..... I did a fist pump and gave a big, "You tell 'em, Coach", when Bowden told an interviewer just what was what when asked about retiring from coaching and about firing some of his existing coaches to appease his critics.

Hell, somebody's got to lead, show others how to act and not wilt in the face of adversity.

I admire these guys, I really do.

************************* EDIT ******************************

Oh, and by the way donovan, I forgot to mention that the AP gets upset and sends CFP nasty-grams about copy write infringements when their articles are copied and pasted to the forum. Going forward, please, either paraphrase the article or link the article within the post.

Thanks, The Mountainman

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:14 am

mountainman wrote:
donovan wrote:
************************* EDIT ******************************

Oh, and by the way donovan, I forgot to mention that the AP gets upset and sends CFP nasty-grams about copy write infringements when their articles are copied and pasted to the forum. Going forward, please, either paraphrase the article or link the article within the post.

Thanks, The Mountainman

I will repent......but I need to tell you....on the list of things I need to repent of....this is not real high on the list....say about 1,212 down...nevertheless...I will comply......not humbly...but obediently.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:55 am

You can link the article if you want or you can paraphase and it is OK. The only way to really be able to copy and paste an AP article is to get their permission.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:36 am

Donovan...I think I'm going to enjoy your company on this board...

A lilt of Irish irreverance, touched with sly humor. I enjoy your posts...kudos.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:29 am

donovan wrote:I will repent......but I need to tell you....on the list of things I need to repent of....this is not real high on the list....say about 1,212 down...nevertheless...I will comply......not humbly...but obediently.

Thanks donovan, Saint Peter will appreciate that.

As you see and others will discover, Saint Peter didn't make the rules, he just made an agreement to determine whether or not the rules have been complied with ....

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:56 am

mountainman wrote:
Thanks donovan, Saint Peter will appreciate that.

As you see and others will discover, Saint Peter didn't make the rules, he just made an agreement to determine whether or not the rules have been complied with ....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “General Discussion”