Upset Alert: Alabama vs. Mississippi State

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:29 pm

donovan wrote:
mountainman wrote:Beats raking leaves ...... :lol:

and I bet Ohio State, Michigan and West Virginia have bigger and better leaves than anywhere else in the country.........

Don't know about that ..... you see, we agreed to be part of something where two human polls and a set of computers judge and rank our leaves as compared to leaves from all over the country.

Sometimes we agree with how our leaves are judged and ranked and sometimes we don't. It's really out of our hands and all we can do is rake 'em. :wink:

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:31 pm

Correct, Mountainman.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:35 pm

Bias...bias...leaves don't fall in Florida....and just think of poor UTEP and Texas Tech...they have no leaves...
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:34 pm

Eric wrote:Yeah, the ACC is a pretty balanced conference. It has improved vastly from when it started the season, IMO. Everyone made such a big deal about it being a "down" conference (don't get me wrong, it is in 2006), but not as much as people think. Who's better, team-for-team, than the ACC (besides the SEC and Big East, well, at least that's what I think)?
I do'nt think I ever suggested that. There's something to be said for playing to the level of your competiton. I think that's been the 'trademark' of the ACC, this season, in general.

Eric wrote:In the Big East, we have really good teams in West Virginia, Louisville, and Rutgers, mediocre ones in Pitt, Cincy, and USF, and bad ones in UConn and Syracuse.
I'd qualify that to read: Two 'oustanding' teams (W. Virginia, Louisville), one 'remarkable' team (Rutgers), two 'very good' teams (Pittsburgh, USF), and 3 'respectable' teams (Cincy, Syracuse, UConn). There are no 'bad' teams, this year, IMO.

Eric wrote:In the SEC, we have really good teams in Tennessee, LSU, Florida, Arkansas, and Auburn with mediocre ones in Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, maybe even Kentucky, with bad ones in Ole Miss, Mississippi State, and Vanderbilt.
Again, I'd say at least 4 'outstanding' teams (Auburn, Arkansas, Florida, LSU), 4 'good' teams (Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, S. Carolina), 4 'respectable' teams (Mississippi, Mississippi St, Kentucky, Vanderbilt). None are 'bad'.

Eric wrote:So if we look at the ACC, we have really good teams in.......eh, in my judgement, nobody.
I think the W.F. Demon Deacons are 'very good' if not 'outstanding. Maryland has a 'very good' team, in my opinion. V.T., B.C. G.T. & Clemson are all about the same, which is to say they are all 'exceptional'. Even Virginia & NC State have all played well, at times. N. Carolina & Duke constitute the ACC 'cellar'.

Eric wrote:I think we have more of a discussion when it comes to best conference than people think. Everyone is quick to point out the SEC (which I think is the best conference), but the gap isn't as large as most think.
It's hard to quantify 'success'. Lord knows I've tried! It's not just about winning (although it's certainly one way to 'gauge' it). It's in the 'details'.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:52 pm

CLF wrote:It's hard to quantify 'success'. Lord knows I've tried! It's not just about winning (although it's certainly one way to 'gauge' it). It's in the 'details'.

That may have been the best sentence you have posted since you have been here. My comment would be - exactly.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:51 pm

Sycamore leaves? sissy stuff.

Southerners know about Magnolia leafs...they were designed by satan...they are tougher than leather and take decades to rot, they form a cup and land cup side up to hold water and breed mosquitoes, they are heavier than the average Chicago brick and thus never blow into your neighbor's yard...

I hack down every magnolia sprig I find (I, alas, have two towering trees) and it is my life mission to see the Magnolia go the way of the american chestnut.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:14 pm

billybud wrote:Sycamore leaves? sissy stuff.

Southerners know about Magnolia leafs...they were designed by satan...they are tougher than leather and take decades to rot, they form a cup and land cup side up to hold water and breed mosquitoes, they are heavier than the average Chicago brick and thus never blow into your neighbor's yard...

I hack down every magnolia sprig I find (I, alas, have two towering trees) and it is my life mission to see the Magnolia go the way of the american chestnut.

I can't speak to the Magnolia leafs, but Sycamore leaves are wide and the trees reach around 100ft. The Sycamore is just a junk tree. The wood is good for nothing, except butcher blocks(it is too hard) and I have at least 50 on my property. I am hoping one day someone will dicover a good use for the Sycamore and I will gladly sell every tree on my property.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:44 am

In the Pacific Northwest we learned a long time ago...Plant evergreens..no leaves....
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:38 am

I didn't plant, more like inherited.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:35 am

Spence wrote:I didn't plant, more like inherited.

Then I think with this admission an inheritance tax is in order.

I will volunteer to be the CFPRS agent...and I think ....including penalties and interest a fair tax would be $1.32 CFP bucks per board foot of tree. Understanding the trees are worthless for anything but butcher blocks...there is a credit of .004 cents per board foot. You do the math....I just collect the money......
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:43 am

Hang in there, rolltide.

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:27 pm

Alabama will be back next year.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:47 pm

donovan wrote:
Then I think with this admission an inheritance tax is in order.

I will volunteer to be the CFPRS agent...and I think ....including penalties and interest a fair tax would be $1.32 CFP bucks per board foot of tree. Understanding the trees are worthless for anything but butcher blocks...there is a credit of .004 cents per board foot. You do the math....I just collect the money......

That is it, I am cutting them down. :lol:

RT, Bama's in rebuilding mode. Last year was their year, except Protho got hurt and ruined it. I wouldn't get to down because the talent is there. Bama will be back. Sometimes the reason a coach doesn't adjust it because he can't. Example Ohio State - Illinois, Illinois was keying on someone giving away what side of the line the play was going. They were in the backfield on Troy Smith the whole second half. Tressel was calling plays up the gut, because he had no choice or Troy would have gotten killed. Result was that we looked terrible. We were terrible. Most coaches know the limitations of the team, sometimes we are too hard on the coach for doing the only thing they can do.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:11 pm

Spence wrote:Result was that we looked terrible. We were terrible.

Looked terrible!!!!!! :shock: No way ... try this ....

How about six fumbles (lost three, one returned for a TD), blown pass coverages, can't catch a dag-gum kicked-off ball, and a punter that calls "cover left" in the huddle and then punts the dag-gum ball dead right (where there's no coverage) returned for a TD. :evil:

Now that's TERRIBLE :twisted:

Make you feel better, rolltide? :wink:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:20 pm

Yes, but WVU shot themselves in the foot. Illinois knew what the Buckeyes were doing before they did it. They took it to us and almost won. If West Virginia would have taken care of the ball they would have won by a touchdown.

Return to “General Discussion”