louisville/rutgers

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
mountainman

Postby mountainman » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:04 am

Call you crazy????? No way. If anything I would call you a good judge of the potential of a team. :wink:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:38 am

I don't know. I think that Rutgers will struggle based on what I saw out of them the other day. They have potential, but this is the biggest game of their lives and they haven't played in very many, if any, big games. Their program is an up and comer, but I don't think they are quite ready for prime time yet. A teams ability to play in the big games is the key to getting over the hump. Louisville has played in big games. They biggest being last night. I think the only way Louisville loses is if the suffer a major hangover in emotion after last nights game. Louisville has a better team then Rutgers.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:58 am

Oh, I think so too, Spence, Louisville simply has to much offensive firepower and Rutgers is not geared to play catch-up, but if Louisville pulls a "Clemson" and Rutgers pulls a "Virginia Tech" the Cardinals can very easily lose that game. :roll:
Last edited by mountainman on Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:20 am

One thing about Rutgers is they are trying hard...campaigning....Did you watch half time at last nights game...as half time that only lasted six hours.....what was with that...I digress...anyway...it seemed like an infomercial for Rutgers only without Ron Popeil...2000 dollar suit on the coach....have to give them credit for trying to give reasons for the voters to jack them up if the should win...East Coast bias was not even subtle. (talk about paranoia...but I will take it on.)
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

wvjohn
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby wvjohn » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:50 pm

This will be a tough game to call I'm kinda in the middle as of now.
Big 12

FEAR NONE RESPECT ALL

IT IS A GREAT DAY TO BE A MOUNTAINEER WHERE EVER YOU MAY BE

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:53 pm

Congrats on the big win.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:34 pm

Rutgers looked very close to a very bad North Carolina team (the stats show a fairly even match)...but then again, Louisville has problems defending the rush...the Rutgers strongest suit. Louisville's defense is suspect.

For example, the Cincinnati Bearcats put up 239 yards rushing on the Cardinals and converted 50% of their third downs in their 6 point loss...

Cincy only rushed for 56 yards against Ohio State while OSU pummeled them with 196 yards rushing and 278 yards passing...

Still, I think that Louisville's offense is enough to win going away.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:51 pm

Remember, this team is going ON THE ROAD (warning flashes should be going off in all of our minds). Louisville is a very mediocre team on the road. They did not play well against Kansas State, Syracuse, and Cincinnati because of that. Last year, they got hammered by a mediocre USF team in Tampa and UConn almost knocked them off. They can play well on the road at times (West Virginia in 2005, Miami in 2004) but it seems lately, they've been extremely beatable.

I don't know what it is about Rutgers, but Schiano and Rutgers have that winning attitude. It'll be a close game either way. And just because they almost lost to a terrible UNC team doesn't mean they aren't good. That was one game, it should be taken into account, but I believe it's obvious that the Scarlet Knights have improved since their games against North Carolina, Ohio, and Hampton.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:48 pm

billybud wrote:Rutgers looked very close to a very bad North Carolina team (the stats show a fairly even match)...but then again, Louisville has problems defending the rush...the Rutgers strongest suit. Louisville's defense is suspect.
Unless I"m mistaken, that was the season opener, for both teams, and it was played in front of a 'partisan' N. Carolina home crowd. And, Joe Dailey was QB (a player who has lead NC to their only win, to date). You are good at 'picking' one game, as if it's the only one that matters, and putting 'all the toppings' on it. Do the same thing, but this time, apply Illinois to your 'argument'. When Rutgers beat N. Carolina they were calling it a 'major' upset. Simply because N.Carolina 'tanked' shouldn't sully it, in the eyes of the public.

BillyBud wrote:For example, the Cincinnati Bearcats put up 239 yards rushing on the Cardinals and converted 50% of their third downs in their 6 point loss...

Cincy only rushed for 56 yards against Ohio State while OSU pummeled them with 196 yards rushing and 278 yards passing...

Still, I think that Louisville's offense is enough to win going away.
I think it's been shown that Cincinnati isn't a bad team, overall. They beat S. Florida (a 'good' Big East team, in my estimation). And, Cincinnati has played other teams close, but lost. Again, an example of your 'taking one game' putting your entire position on it, as if that's the only one. And a win, for the Cardinals. 'Shaky' would be a compliment.
Last edited by colorado_loves_football on Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:13 pm

Did you watch the same Cincinnati vs. Ohio St game I did? Apparently not. But, for a fortuitous pass deflection, the Bearcats are ahead at halftime.

Obviously I watched OSU/Cincinnati with a different set of eyes...whebn the Buckeyes whipped the Bearcats 37-7, it's a tall order to "spin" that the Bearcats were somehow close.

OSU pasted the Bearcats 37-7...wasn't close..
Virginia Tech pasted the Bearcats...wasn't close
Pitt pasted the Bearcats...wasn't close

Louisville struggled to win by 6...Louisville's defense let the Bearcats run wild.

Rutgers might run some on Louisville.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:36 pm

The VT/Cincy game was kind of close there for a while. VT ran away with it the 4th quarter of course, but it was closer than the other games he mentioned. Everyone makes such a big deal about Cincy leading OSU 7-0, but what about the other 37 consecutive points for OSU? :roll:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:36 pm

Of course today the Illinois defense pulled the Buckeyes pants down between their legs. Illinois defense out played Ohio State the whole second half of the game. The Buckeye O-line got beat badly most of the game. Ohio State was lucky to get out of Champaign-Urbana with the win. We got out played today.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:49 pm

I can't exactly same the same about Michigan's game with Ball State. Michigan clearly outplayed the Cards, but the Cards were more opportunistic. They held Michigan to quite a few field goals and got 9 points on defense. 508 yards normally doesn't equate to a final-second-drive type of finish. Michigan was looking ahead, pressed on defense when Ball State began to come back, and didn't capitalize on scoring touchdowns today.

From what I saw, Ohio State got caught looking ahead. Hopefully, Lloyd and Tressell won't put up with it and risk losing next week to dash the title hopes. I honestly don't think the 2 teams will have any issues. They learned their lessons.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:50 pm

I also think Michigan's win was worse. I know a win is a win, but come on. A 3-6 Ball State team (who got beat by North Dakota State this year) comes into the Big House and makes a game out of it? Terrible.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:06 pm

Eric wrote:From what I saw, Ohio State got caught looking ahead. Hopefully, Lloyd and Tressell won't put up with it and risk losing next week to dash the title hopes. I honestly don't think the 2 teams will have any issues. They learned their lessons.

I don't think Ohio State was looking ahead. Illinois just played faster. Their D line was in the backfield all day. Alex Boone was out because of an injury, but we rotate lineman so that isn't an excuse. Ohio State just flat got out played today.

Return to “General Discussion”