louisville/rutgers

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Swamp Daddy
Coordinator
Coordinator

Louisville at Rutgers

Postby Swamp Daddy » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:14 am

Well, UL had some rude awakenings last year in their first Big East year :oops: ; but, I think they are extremely focused this year. Rutgers has to be better than the 55-6 loss they took last year at Papa Johns. But, UL also has had a year to get better and I think they are. I think the defense is better; and, at times has shown it. Score on the road will be closer; but, UL will take the game. 8)

Now, if you want a good Big East team to possibly be in the NC game and maybe have a chance -- it is UL.

Some of you guys have a lot of wishful thinking in your thoughts. The loss to USF was a fluke last year; but, a fluke with reasons behind it. The people at USF did some planning and made some smart moves -- they redshirted seniors and juniors to save them for their first Big East year. It was a good move and they did well. Now, they are down to what may be their normal level at the moment -- look at this year's record. And, they didnt' fair well in their trips to Papa John's Stadium which is where they are THIS YEAR for the game.

Again, Missouri style will prevail. The game will be played and all the talk will be moot. :!:

Swamp Daddy
visit: http://thecrunchzone.com/ for news
site moved to: http://cardinalforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1 for discussions

generic university site is: http://www.gocards.com/

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:46 am

I can't say I have been all that impressed with the Louisville defense. Not just the WVU game, but all year. I still don't see anyone else in the B-East that can keep up with the Louisville offense. West Virginia was the only team I saw that had a shot. Rutgers can't do it. Pittsburgh would have to have a really good day.

As long as Brohm keeps playing well, Louisville will keep winning. If the offense struggles at any point, though, I don't believe the Cardinal defense can pull it out for them.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Swamp Daddy
Coordinator
Coordinator

Louisville - Rutgers

Postby Swamp Daddy » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:28 pm

Hi: Well now, I did not claim the defense was a world beating outfit; just that they were better than last year. And in 3 games, Miami, Kansas State, and Middle Tennessee State it was the defense that did the job.

And, if Rutgers does not drastically alter their offensive style I think the defense will again be facing the ideal opponent and will do well. Only a day and a half until we find out.

Swamp Daddy 8)
visit: http://thecrunchzone.com/ for news
site moved to: http://cardinalforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1 for discussions

generic university site is: http://www.gocards.com/

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:38 pm

I believe there is a common denominator when Louisville does not play their best--they go on the road. UConn, South Florida, Cincinnati, Syracuse, and Kansas State over the last 2 years. Louisville is extremely beatable on the road.

Rutgers will have a great chance at winning this game. It will be closer than most people assume. I like the Scarlet Knights, but I like the Mountaineers to beat Rutgers when they play on the last week of the season.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

wvjohn
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby wvjohn » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:39 pm

37-34 Rutgers

There I did it didn't think I would but I did.
Big 12

FEAR NONE RESPECT ALL

IT IS A GREAT DAY TO BE A MOUNTAINEER WHERE EVER YOU MAY BE

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:24 pm

Atta boy, WVU ...... put yours thoughts out there before the game is played.

Glad to see there's none of that, "play it safe" and waiting until the game is over and then declare "I knew all along that was going to happen" type of attitude down there along the banks of the Tug River.

Although I respect your willingness to make your call, I don't agree. I believe the Cardinals will prevail. They better bring their "A-Game" though, Rutgers is going to be Rockin' ..... I hear you cannot buy a ticket and it is going to be quite an environment.

And by the way, Louisville's Marching Band will be allowed to perform at halftime. :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:

Enjoy the game. :wink:

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:20 pm

Rutgers didn't look very imposing playing North carolina who is winless in the awful ACC this year...Im am not yet impressed by the Scarlet Knights.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:05 pm

There's a lot of folks with the same or similar opinion, billybud. I can understand that .... Rutgers has not been a very good team in seasons gone by, but that was then and this is now.

I've watched them play 4 games so far this season and here's my take.

The Scarlet Knights have a fast defense that likes to attack the offense to go along with a very good running game on the other side of the ball. Throw in an enthusiastic home crowd on a Thursday night on the national stage and stranger things have been known to happen. :lol:

My take, for what it's worth:

Keys for Rutgers will be whether or not their defense can disrupt Brohm and the Cardinal's passing game and the Knight's offense's ability to keep Louisville's offense on the sidelines. The Knights will probably need a defensive or special teams TD and maybe a +2 in the turnover margin to win.

My pick, Louisville by 6.

Enjoy the game. 8)

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:57 pm

Speaking of Big East football ... the Mountaineers are going to get their character tested this weekend when the Bearcats from the University of Cincinnati come to Morgantown.

I believe the Mountaineers have more talent, but the Bearcats will bring an attitude and are the kind of team that will test a team's will to win.

The Cincinnati defense is tough and will absolutely lay a lick on you. On the other side of the ball they run a power offense with a good young QB and an outstanding tight end. The Mountaineers better wrap and strap it up tight and forget about the Louisville loss or things can go south in a heartbeat. :shock:

The word out of Morgantown is that there has been some re-evaluation on the defensive side of the ball and the freshman punter, :evil: bless his heart :evil: , that called 'cover left' in the huddle and then kicked the dag-gum ball dead right against Louisville, :twisted: which the Cardinal's returned for a TD, :twisted: is going to get to think about it this weekend while watching the game from the sidelines. :roll:

Not to worry though ... I suspect it'll make a better player and a better person out of him. He'll get another chance. :wink:

Enjoy the game. 8)

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:24 am

Sometimes they just need to think about it.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:12 am

In the wasteland of Idaho, they are pulling for UL to win. Boise State has played Louisville and the record is 1-1. But that was history. If Louisville wins Rutgers will drop down and Boise State has a chance to move up. If the opposite is true, then Louisville will move down a few spots and ...a lot more than you might think because the Elite eight do not want some mid major making it...I digress....and Rutgers moves up and Boise is out.

So I predict that Rutgers will win by 14. They will be beat before seasons end. NC game will be Florida and Ohio State ......will change my mind on all of this in the morning.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:45 am

Since the ACC #5/#6 plays the Big East #3 in a bowl, this game will have a lot to do with deciding one side of the match up. I'd prefer Rutgers play the ACC fifth or sixth team. A mid conference ACC team matched with WVU or Louisville might be overmatched.

I wonder about Louisville's defense...they do not look good. Rutgers runs the ball and Louisville is weak against the run. The Bearcats, running for 219 yards, just busted through the Cards.

Rutgers must slow down Louisville's offense because Rutgers offense is not a quick strike offense..the Knights grind it out.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:10 am

billybud wrote:Since the ACC #5/#6 plays the Big East #3 in a bowl, this game will have a lot to do with deciding one side of the match up.

Which bowl would that be, billybud? :?

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:48 pm

Meineke Car Care is the bowl for the BE #3....

However, I see that for this year only, Navy has been issued a preseason invite..

So...I don't know where the BE #3 goes.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:22 pm

http://football.about.com/od/bowlgames/ ... hedule.htm

The sites list the BE #3 as Car care bound in Charlotte...but since Navy has scarfed that up this year, it may be that the BE #3 is El Paso bound...to the Sun Bowl.
Last edited by billybud on Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion”