Congratulations Louisville

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:48 pm

How about a game with Rutgers and Wake Forest? Two perennial cellar dwellers who have great teams this year. That would be a great game for the Gator Bowl.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:49 pm

Yeah...that would be a good game....
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:55 pm

I do have a flyer of a bet for the first five takers...I'll bet $1,000 CFP that the ACC goes over .500 in their bowls.

I think I'll avoid that. The matchups, like you said, are good ones for the conference. Nevada will likely play a team like VT or Miami in the MPC Computers Bowl, A pretty good ACC team will play Navy in the Meineke Car Care Bowl, an ACC team like Boston College gets a sad Alabama or Georgia team in the Music City Bowl, a team like Florida State gets a team like Minnesota in the Champs Sports Bowl, etc.

The ACC would be my bet to win that Challenge Cup this year. Conference depth plays a lot into that. Some conferences like the Big 10 and SEC are top heavy, but the conference bowl records are decided by the matchups of mid-tier conference teams vs. others, and the ACC clearly has an advantage in that aspect of the game.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:03 pm

billybud wrote:OK Spence...you are on....I'll bet against the Big ten and for the ACC...1,000 CFP each bet....good luck, LOL

It will probably be a wash, but sounds good to me. I will post it.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:35 pm

I just looked at the ACC bowl projections.

Washington State vs. Florida St.
BC vs. Kentucky
Maryland vs. Iowa
Navy vs. Clemson
Va Tech vs. Alabama
San Jose State vs. Miami
Wake Forest vs. West Virginia
Georgia Tech vs. Auburn

I think I have been suckered. :oops:

BC, Clemson, and Miami are locks for a win. That mean the ACC has to only win one of the remaining to go .500

The B-10 projected bowl bids.

Maryland vs Iowa
Purdue vs. Nebraska
Penn State vs LSU
Wisconsin vs. Tennessee
Cal vs. Michigan or Ohio State
Louisville vs. Ohio State or Michigan

Yes I have definately been had.

No wonder you were so quick to pull the trigger. I guess I should look before I leap. :roll:

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:32 pm

Spence...I didn't have a clue about the Big Ten Bowls and haven't seen any projections....I was only betting on my faith that the ACC teams have been beating each other and are actually better than the record shows and thus will do better in the bowls....

I wasn't intentionally suckering you...I do offer you a chance to bail
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:39 pm

I made the bet, I will stick with it. I never back out of a bet.

I'm not saying that you had looked at it, only that I should have.

I have said before that the difference between the best major conference and the worst isn't that great a difference. Sometimes it seems that way, but when you get right down to it, save a couple of teams, they are very close.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:53 pm

Yeah...and I am not so sure about those projections....You offered the Big Ten and I should have looked as well...

Louisville does not match up well to a team with a good defense and a good running game...OSU or Michigan should win.

Cal vs Mich. or OSU should be a Big 10 win

Wis vs Tennessee....I like the Vols on this one

Penn State vs LSU...I like LSU

Purdue vs Nebraska...OK State just pummeled the Huskers 41-29...toss up

Maryland vs Iowa...I dunno...think I like the Terps...Hawkeyes up and down

I think the Big Ten may have trouble breaking .500

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:21 am

The B-10 won't break .500. I offered them up before I saw the ACC matchups. I thought is would be a wash. Bad move on my part.

Purdue won't beat Nebraska. No chance. Purdue is bad. Really really bad.

I have no clue about Iowa. They seem to be lost. There is talent on that team, but as soon as something goes wrong they roll up. Unusal for a Kirk Ferentz coached team. I don't know what their deal is.

Penn State -LSU easy for LSU. The Penn State QB is a deer in the head lights LSU will tee off on him.

Wisky- Tennessee - I don't know about Wisky. I thought Auburn would clean their clocks last year and it didn't happen. They aren't fast, but the are very big. It depends on how it translates on the field.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:24 pm

Spence wrote:I just looked at the ACC bowl projections.

San Jose State vs. Miami

I think I have been suckered. :oops:
I'm 'editing' this, as I occasionally do, for reasons that should be obvious to anyone who cares.
That game (SJSU vs. Miami, FL) is the 'projection' for the MPC Computers Bowl, which I believe goes to the #2 WAC team, this year.
Since, Hawaii has already 'committed' to the Sheraton Hawaii Bowl, that leaves SJSU & Nevada. They, apparently think SJSU is a 'better' pick than Nevada, I'm not sure I agree, myself.

Spence wrote:The B-10 projected bowl bids.

Cal vs. Michigan or Ohio State
Louisville vs. Ohio State or Michigan
Those two, I'm sure are 'projections' for the Rose Bowl & BCS title pairings. I think it's premature, myself for anyone to make 'gross' projections. In any event, there are several teams still in the 'mix'. But, it's certainly one possiblity.

Spence wrote:Yes I have definately been had.

No wonder you were so quick to pull the trigger. I guess I should look before I leap. :roll:
I don't think you've been had, Spence, I think that whoever made those projections, likely pulled the trigger on themselves. The games (regular) still have a bearing on the final pairs.
Last edited by colorado_loves_football on Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:32 pm

CLF...Billybud wrote none of what you quoted...it was Spence, and you misquoted me...not for the first time and, I suspect, not for the last.

Read the posts...look up your team record to get it right...anything but just flail away at the keyboard.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:08 pm

billybud wrote:CLF...Billybud wrote none of what you quoted...it was Spence, and you misquoted me...not for the first time and, I suspect, not for the last.

Read the posts...look up your team record to get it right...anything but just flail away at the keyboard.

Spence,,,you have just been sold out for mess of pottage.........
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:16 pm

I think if Minnesota or Purdue go to bowl games that they will pull of the upset. I've seen both teams and both are really bad, but as we have learned, bowl season doesn't care about mismatches or how bad one of the teams are :lol:

I wouldn't be so quick to pull the trigger on the ACC winning the MPC Computers Bowl. I think we might see Virginia Tech vs. Nevada. Nevada would get that bid over San Jose State. Well.......they might. I see San Jose State playing New Mexico in the inaugural New Mexico Bowl. So if Nevada plays VT or Miami........WATCH OUT!

We remembered what happened with Virginia/Fresno State in 2004, don't we?

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:32 pm

CLF Wrote

That would be the MPC Computers Bowl, which is in the last year of a deal, that sends the #7 team to Boise, ID.

WRONG....the ACC sends #8 to MPC...not #7. The MPC has the last choice of any bowl for a designated ACC slot.

Return to “General Discussion”