Ohio State - Michigan Rivalry

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.

Greatest Rivary in CFB

Ohio State - Michigan
31%
Alabama - Auburn
13%
Texas - Oklahoma
13%
Florida State - Miami
No votes
USC - Notre Dame
13%
USC - UCLA
No votes
Florida - Georgia
No votes
Oklahoma - Nebraska
6%
Army - Navy
25%
Notre Dame-Michigan
No votes

Total votes: 16

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Ohio State - Michigan Rivalry

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:52 am

Since 1936 when AP poll started:

Michigan leads 35-31-4
Michigan points: 1175
Ohio State points: 1072
Avg. Score: Michigan-16.8, Ohio state-15.3
Record at the Big-House: Michigan leads 17-16-3
Record At Horseshoe: Ohio State leads 18-15-1
Games Decided by 3 Points or Less: tied 5-5-4
Games Decided by 7 Points or Less: Ohio State leads 14-13-4
Michigan Longest Winning Streak: 4 (1945-48, 1988-91)
Ohio States Longest Winning Streak: 4 (1960-63)
Current Winning Streak: Ohio State;2
Biggest Michigan Win: 58-6 (1946)
Biggest Ohio State Win: 50-20 (1961)

When Ranked AP poll (including this year, 71 years)

Times both teams were in top 25 when played: 40
Michigan leads: 20-15-4
Times both teams were in top 10 when played: 20
Michigan leads: 9-8-2
Times both teams were in top 5 when played: 10
Ohio State leads: 5-3-1
Times one of the teams was ranked number one when played: 8; OSU 5, Michigan 3
Record when number one: Michigan 3-0, Ohio State 2-1-1
Number one vs. Number two: First time
Number One vs. Number three: Never
Number One vs. Number four: 3 times, (1-1-1) all played in Michigan
Avg. score: Ohio State 15, Michigan 14.6

I can't be sure that these numbers are absolutely correct, but they are very close. This is why we (Buckeye Fans) believe this is the greatest rivalry in sports. As you can see the numbers for both teams are very close. It is rarely a give me game.

Before 1936 Michigan dominated not only Ohio State, but most of CFB.
Last edited by Spence on Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:07 am

That is why I included Texas -Oklahoma in the poll. It is a big game.

I think Ohio State - Michigan is better (#1 because of my bias) and because it is the last game of the season. Lose and your out. Texas or Oklahoma can come back from a lose in the shootout. Neither Ohio State or Michigan gets another chance.

I looked it up a while back and I was thinking that something like 70 or more times this game has had a hand in deciding the conference championship.

The big reason I think it is the best, though, is the streaks. No team has won more then 4 in a row in 70 years. That means that neither team has had more then four down years in the conference for over 70 years. That is an awesome stat IMO.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:47 am

The greatest rivalries are not necessarily the games that have the most impact in the polls, standings or even the conference. They are the games where the tradition is so strong, that a win there will cover the sins of the rest of the season.

Certainly the ones in the poll are there, save a couple of exceptions...but in state contests are always so intense.

The best games in this category, I think, is what Spence said...the ones that are the last game of the year. That is wild football week all over the country.

Go to the Oregon Oregon State Game this year and no one is going to care about the records....will be wild.

Washingtons Apple cup....win that and you will Coach another year.

BYU versus Utah....The Saints versus the Aints....

USC and UCLA....

I think Army Navy is the longest reigning one, although no one cares who wins...they are so bad....Maybe Kerry should have said that if you are not educated you will have to play football at Army.....
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:10 am

I like the Army - Navy game. I watch almost every year. I did think about Washington -Washington Washington St and Oregon Oregon St., but I generally there isn't alot at stake. Army-Navy may not be a game where there is lots at stake in terms of football, but there is lots at stake in terms of them havong to live with the results their whole lives. (When these officers get their commissions)

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:28 am

LubbockHasNoTrees wrote:
Spence wrote:I looked it up a while back and I was thinking that something like 70 or more times this game has had a hand in deciding the conference championship.

That's not fair to OU-Texas cause we used to be in different conferences... I think that means OSU-Mich has been a bigger game for longer, but not necessarily a bigger rivalry.

Not because of the longevity, but two thirds of the games played between these two teams had a hand in deciding the conference title. It is almost aways a close game. Even if one team is a big underdog it usually doesn't come out that way. One team is rarely overmatched by the other.

In terms of school pride the two rivalries are probably a wash. All rivalries are probably a wash in terms of school pride. That is what defines CFB.

Indiana - Purdue doesn't mean as much in terms of impact nationally most years, but in terms of school pride it means as much to them as any other rivary in sports.

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Greatest Rivalry

Postby RazorHawk » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:48 am

The answer to this question depends on what you think determines "Greatest"

Longest term and national recognition = Army vs Navy , but no one really cares which team wins.

Biggest fan hatred of opponent = Auburn vs Alabama I really was not aware of the true dislike for each other before moving to the South.

Determining conference champion = Ohio St vs Michigan

I guess everyones biggest rivalry probably includes their personal teams. To a Boilermaker, the game versus Indiana is huge.

As a Hawkeye and a Razorback, the Hawkeyes two biggest rivalries are Minnesota and Iowa St. In recent years Minny has not been very competitive, but in the 50's and early 60's this often time meant a Big 10 Title and was the final game of the season. Iowa St rivalry has been a bigger issue for the Cyclones than it has for the Hawkeyes.

On the Razorback side, Texas was always our biggest game when we were part of the old SWC. It however was probably the third biggest game for the Whorns behind Texas A&M and OU. Since joining the SEC, Arkansas is still trying to identify a rivalry. It could become LSU, but the Hogs will need to make this game be more meaningful for division titles. Currently LSU has been the better team in recent years, even though we have pulled a couple of upsets.
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:28 pm

I think Army Navy is the longest reigning one, although no one cares who wins...they are so bad....Maybe Kerry should have said that if you are not educated you will have to play football at Army.....

Don't you think you're being a little hard on Navy? It's a difficult situation to win at, and they'll be headed for their 4th consecutive bowl appearance.

Sure in-state rivalries are good, but for most seasons, nothing has more on the line than Michigan-Ohio State. My personal favorite is the Iron Bowl, but there's a reason why it's called "The Game." I think Michigan/Ohio State is pretty passionate too.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

ktffan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Ohio State - Michigan Rivalry

Postby ktffan » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:12 am

Spence wrote: Since 1936 when AP poll started:
Record at the Big-House: Michigan leads 17-16-3
Record At Horseshoe: Ohio State leads 18-15-1

I can't be sure that these numbers are absolutely correct, but they are very close.

Michigan leads 19-13-3 in Ann Arbor, Ohio State leads 18-16-1 at Ohio State. Other than that, they check out.

Spence wrote:
This is why we (Buckeye Fans) believe this is the greatest rivalry in sports. As you can see the numbers for both teams are very close. It is rarely a give me game.

For my money, the best rivalry in college football is Alabama/Auburn, but for closeness, Michigan/Ohio State tops them. Missouri/Kansas is very close.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:36 pm

I didn't check the numbers and they weren't my numbers, so that is why I qualified it. I knew you were back hanging around and I knew if I didn't qualify it you would catch me for not being thorough. :lol: :lol:

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:17 pm

LubbockHasNoTrees wrote:
That's not fair to OU-Texas cause we used to be in different conferences... I think that means OSU-Mich has been a bigger game for longer, but not necessarily a bigger rivalry.
Are rivalries really about 'location', or 'position'? I always thought they were about 'bragging right's. TCU & Baylor don't play in the same confernece, haven't since the SWC disbanded, but rest assured, their 'rivalry' is still going strong, despite their not having played lately.
LSU & Tulane still have a rivalry going, believe it or not!
And, that's what makes college football 'fun', in my opinion.
Colorado Nebraska is like the only 'rivalry' I know of where one team (Nebraska) refuses to acknowledge it (again, part of the 'fun) where the other, makes a pointed attempt to keep it alive (credit Hawkins for that).
I don't think there is one game that 'stands' alone, but I'm glad Army & Notre Dame are going to play again, this year (and I don't think it will be an 'easy' win for the Irish, either).
Aren't rivalries, the 'heart' of what college football is all about? That's what makes it 'special', moreso than any other sport, I can think of.
Penn St, & Pittsburgh is a rivalry I wouldn't mind seeing 'renewed'.
Basically, anyone Notre Dame plays is an 'instant' rival, so I struggle putting any one game 'on a pedestal' but USC vs. Notre Dame is 'special'.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:43 am

I picked Army-Navy...although the OSU/Michigan is a good one, but not as good as Army-Navy

IMO, the Georgia-FL game is more of "hate" than rivalry. As we each spend about 10-20 years of controlling the other. As much as Georgia has lost in the last 15 years, I dont call it a rivalry.

The Georgia-GT game is more of a rivalry to me personally.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

BYUfan1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby BYUfan1 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:39 am

C'mon, Tennessee-Florida is a bigger rivalry than Florida-Georgia. Just because more people get drunk at Florida-Georgia doesn't make it bigger. Texas A&M-Texas needs to be on the survey too.
The critic is one who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
-- Oscar Wilde

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:27 am

There are only 3 as I see "in the discussion" in my opinion. Michigan/OSU, Bama/Auburn, and Army/Navy. I give Alabama and Auburn the nod. But I thought Michigan/OSU was appreciated more on a national scale than this :?
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:45 am

I have to agree on Ohio State-Michigan but then again look where I live and was born and raised. I wouldn't know any different.

I do think it is odd though to see USC up on the list above twice and yet neither one listed is USC-UCLA. In my mind, the Trojans and Bruins are each other's greatest arch-nemesis. In fact I have always seen the Pac-10 as 5 sets of arch-rivaled pairs.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:49 am

It was a typo. USC-Michigan should have been USC -UCLA

In terms of a fan rivarly I have always heard that Alabama - Auburn is the only thing that compares to Ohio State - Michigan. I have heard that fans in Alabama have it on their mind all year, same as fans in Ohio and Michigan.

In terms of a school rivalry nothing compares to Army-Navy. It is more then a game for them.

Return to “General Discussion”