ABSURD poll (3rd installment)

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:39 am

Looks like the computer my have been right after all. That is why it is better to wait until the end to be critical. That way your arguments will hold for a longer period of time. :wink:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:02 pm

I think the real question right now....who is the third best team in the country. Ohio State and Michigan did not do themselves any favors. Not so much the score, but they did not have the dominant control of the game...which I think non computer wise, is very influential.

So who is the third best team in the Nation...?
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:04 pm

The 3rd best team in the naiton is Michigan. I feel Florida is probably better.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:07 pm

Spence wrote:I set up a scenerio, that you asked about, with Texas and Ohio State reaching the NC game. I have never once said that the Buckeye's are a lock to beat Michigan. I know the history beat the two teams and I know how good Michigan is this year.
Well, I"m not sure I agree, myself. Michigan, as good as they are, have struggled at times. Ball St gave them a game, maybe deserved to win, but for a late 'rally' that fell short, they beat the #2 team in the country, in their own backyard. Ohio St, as good as they are, still haven't really shown me they belong there.
Wisconsin, if properly motivated, might beat either one, in a conference title pairing. Heck, they really weren't beaten that badly, by Michigan.
A 'rematch' between those teams, at a neutral site, could easily go the Badgers way. Whichever team won, could then play in the Rose Bowl, against the Pac-Ten champion. The winner, would be in a 'Final Four'.

Spence wrote:What I said was that if Ohio State gets to the championship game, then Texas shouldn't get a rematch. Just like Michigan shouldn't get a rematch if Ohio State wins. If Michigan beats Ohio State then I have no problem with Texas going to the championship game.
I wouldn't want to see Ohio St and Texas in the NC, personally. It would just create controversy (if Texas won). But, if all games, regular season, were conference games, it would make sense.

Spence wrote:Also the regular season is the only thing that gets weighed when deciding who goes to the championship game.
That, and a good pre-season ranking, go a long ways, toward that end.
Do you think Rutgers (if undefeated) will be represented? I don't, myself.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:36 pm

It won't matter because Rutgers won't go undefeated.

Texas beating Ohio State in a championship wouldn't cause controversy. It would be Texas winning 2 out of 3 in the series. No controvery in that. That isn't why I don't think Texas should be in the game, unless they are the only once beaten, they had a shot and blew it. Same as Ohio State had a shot and blew it last year. Someone else should get a shot.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:41 pm

Spence wrote:Someone else should get a shot.

I keeping a close watch on Southern Cal ..... they've got the schedule, if they can win out. :wink:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:56 pm

If Louisville doesn't win out, then SC has a good shot, but if Arkansas wins out or Florida wins out, I would throw my support that way based on the schedules they play.

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:24 am

colorado_loves_football wrote:Well, I"m not sure I agree, myself.

:shock:
"Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:24 am

I hate rematches....FSU ran the table in 1996...beating Miami and great Danny Wuerfful led Florida team (who's only loss was to FSU). FSU, a month later, had to replay Florida for the NC even if it had already been decided on the field...Florida won the rematch. Both teams were 12-1 with a loss to each other...Florida won their only NC...
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:45 pm

Spence wrote:It won't matter because Rutgers won't go undefeated.
How do you know that? They have as good a chance as anyone else, maybe better (they play Louisville at home). I would'nt count them out, if I were you.

Spence wrote:Texas beating Ohio State in a championship wouldn't cause controversy. It would be Texas winning 2 out of 3 in the series. No controvery in that. That isn't why I don't think Texas should be in the game, unless they are the only once beaten, they had a shot and blew it. Same as Ohio State had a shot and blew it last year. Someone else should get a shot.
There is no 'series', that I can think of. They are 'successive' years, they really aren't comparable (other than to 'size the teams up' relative to each other). Title games should be 'reserved' for the teams 'most deserving' of the distinction. Assuming Texas & Ohio St are both represented (a 'gross' assumption), I think there would be contoversy, if Texas won (they would be 'tied' for all intents & purposes). More than likely, there would be a 'split' National Champ.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:16 pm

Rutgers has four games left on their schedule. I will bet you $5000.00 CFP bucks that they will not go undefeated. Put you money where your mouth is and if they go undefeated I will gladly transfer the $5000.00 to you. All you need to do is confirm.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:10 pm

I would bet someone $500 CFP bucks that Rutgers will not go undefeated.

I would be more...but I have no CFP bucks....I get about .47 cents for everyone of my lame posts....How come I am so poor?

No sycamore trees on my estate....just trailers...some still with their wheels......
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:15 pm

Are you sure your not from southern Ohio? :lol:

Return to “General Discussion”