BCS Projections

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

BCS Projections

Postby Eric » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:06 pm

I don't know about you guys, but this is what I've got:

Rose Bowl:
Cal vs. Michigan

Sugar Bowl:
Florida vs. Louisville

Orange Bowl:
Tennessee vs. Georgia Tech

Fiesta Bowl:
Notre Dame vs. Missouri (Edit: I put Texas up there without thinking since they are so heavliy favored to win the conference, but don't count the Tigers out of it yet; if they lose to Nebraska this weekend, I'll eat my words, but I think this will be the conference championship game upset of the year like FSU/VT was last season)

BCS National Championship:
Ohio State vs. West Virginia

Okay, okay, this is totally wrong, I know :roll:

I assumed Missouri would win this week but Nebraska spanked them pretty good. I'm going to substitute Nebraska for Missouri. I think the Cornhuskers will suprise a lot of people when they win the Big 12. Now watch, now that I said that, the Cornhuskers will blow the lead and let Missouri in the championship game :roll: Also, if there is a major upset of a low-ranked team in the 20s, that would open up the door for a one-loss Boise State team. If they lose a game yet maintain a higher ranking than a BCS conference champion, they go. Which is what I'm afraid might happen if Maryland or Nebraska win their respective conferences.

Okay, so this is my new projections*:

Rose Bowl:
Cal vs. Michigan

Sugar Bowl:
Tennessee (yes, I still think they'll find a way in) vs. Notre Dame

Orange Bowl:
Georgia Tech vs. West Virginia

Fiesta Bowl:
Nebraska vs. Boise State

BCS Championship:
Ohio State vs. Florida

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but if we have a 3-way tie in the Big East (West Virginia lost to Louisville, Louisville will lose to Rutgers, and Rutgers will lose to Louisville), it comes down to whoever has the higher BCS ranking, correct? In the end, I think West Virginia gets the bid as co-Big East champions.
Last edited by Eric on Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

colorado_loves_football

Re: BCS Projections

Postby colorado_loves_football » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:21 pm

Not too bad, Eric, you caught the 'imagination' which is what matters most, IMO. I don't think there will be two Big East teams in the BCS.
One team is 'sufficient' in any respect (my argument all along, as far as 'automatic' bids are concerned).
Secondly, I think you maybe should give Boise St. the 'benefit-of-the-doubt', given how hard it's been for them to qualify themselves. That isn't to say they might not make it (Nevada is looking 'pretty good' as is SJSU). But, I think they have momentum working for them. And, Oregon St, beating USC gave them a 'push' as far as their schedule goes.

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:24 pm

Secondly, I think you maybe should give Boise St. the 'benefit-of-the-doubt', given how hard it's been for them to qualify themselves. That isn't to say they might not make it (Nevada is looking 'pretty good' as is SJSU). But, I think they have momentum working for them. And, Oregon St, beating USC gave them a 'push' as far as their schedule goes.

Yeah, I didn't overlook Boise State, I just feel they will be 11-1 when the season ends. Nevada will have nothing to lose and will play spoiler in Boise's last game of the year.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:31 pm

Eric wrote:Yeah, I didn't overlook Boise State, I just feel they will be 11-1 when the season ends. Nevada will have nothing to lose and will play spoiler in Boise's last game of the year.

Well, if that were to happen, it would definitely be an upset of monumental proportions, but I don't see it happening, myself.
A more likely proposition, is their losing to Fresno St, this week, or to SJSU later on, they are teams that might 'sneak' up on the Broncos, and SJSU seems to play pretty well, at home (as do the Bulldogs). La Tech doesn't really bother me, and I think Boise St will beat Utah St.
Nevada, might give Boise St a game, but I don't think they will, myself.

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:35 pm

Well, IMO anyway, Nevada is the toughest team Boise State has left to play and it's not on the Smurf Turf. Fresno State is really, really struggling and that is @ Boise State. SJSU is improving though.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:38 pm

Way, way, way to much football left to be played for me to even take a guess at that one, Eric. :lol:

Indiana could knock off the Wolverines, the SEC, PAC-10, Big East, Big XII, and the ACC are still up for grabs. :wink:

It's fun for us to talk about it as members of the forum, but I can't help but think that the media is getting way ahead of themselves. :roll:

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:42 pm

Eric...there is a major flaw in your picks from the SEC. I don't think there is a way both Florida and Tennessee make it from the SEC East. First, Florida would have to lose another game for Tenneessee to make it into the SEC Title game...thus more than likely keeping them out of a BCS game with 2 losses. That is how you have it. Because the Sugar Bowl takes the SEC champion if they are not selected to play in the BCS Championship. If Florida wins out they will find themselves in the Sugar Bowl and Tennessee would miss out on playing in the SEC Championship game. They could with only one loss still make a BCS game but not the Sugar Bowl (only if Florida wins out and Tennessee wins out and Florida is selected to play for the BCS Title game can your scenario work for the SEC teams...and I don't think that will happen...plus you all ready have selected two non SEC schools for the title game). 2 SEC schools playing in a BCS bowl...probably, but not how you picked them.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:18 pm

Well, Tennessee doesn't have to win the SEC title to be a BCS team. All they have to do is finish with 1 loss and have Florida do the dirty work. I think Florida wins the SEC but because Tennessee would only have one loss, they would get into the BCS over a 2-loss Auburn team.

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:30 pm

You are right, but unless Florida is in the title game they will be playing in the Sugar Bowl (assuming they win the SEC). I would not count Arkansas out just yet from the SEC. The only SEC team without a conference loss. We will find out a lot the next two weeks. If Arkansas takes care of business against South Carolina and Tennessee, they can clinch the SEC west and a trip to the SEC championship game with a win against Miss State the following week (before they have to play LSU). Arkansas does not have to win out to play in the SEC title game. They can lose one of the remaining four to win the SEC WEST...without any help from anyone else. If they lose 2 of the 4 remaining then they would need Auburn to lose again (I think Auburn goes down to Bama at the end of the year). Anyway, overall your predictions look good. But lots of football are left and anything can happen.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:13 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that, you did point out my error; Tennessee would be in the Orange Bowl and Florida would be in the Sugar Bowl.

Hey, I'm not counting out Arkansas either. They have a real opportunity, but I think South Carolina will win, Tennessee will win, and LSU wins. I think Arkansas is a really good team, but they're just entering a really tough stretch and I'm afraid the Gamecocks will come up sneaking on them this weekend.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:57 pm

HuskerMoon wrote:*Insert really backwoods woodshed hick accent * "BOONE PICKENS STADIUM"

I can handle that part for you. :lol: :D :lol:

Good to hear from you HuskerMoon. 8)

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:49 pm

I hope it is just how you have it, Eric? You make me nervious by picking Ohio State over Michigan, I know how your picks work. :lol: No self respecting Michigan boy should ever pick Ohio State to beat Michigan. :wink:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:06 pm

It's called "Reverse Pick'em". Let's see if it works :lol:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:39 pm

I know, that is what worries me. :wink:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:19 am

Arkansas versus Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl.....Not a bad pairing....Nutt versus the school that allowed him to get back to his roots.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Return to “General Discussion”