Rutgers...another victim to name recognition?

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Rutgers...another victim to name recognition?

Postby Jason G » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:23 am

With USC falling to Oregon State yesterday there is now quite a bit of speculation in the media stating that the Ohio State-Michigan winner could play the Louisville-West Virginia winner in the national championship game.

My question is simply Why isn't Rutgers being considered in the same way as the Cardnials and Mountaineers? Both Louisville and WVU have a great shot at the championship game if they make it through undefeated but there seems to be little doubt that if Rutgers made it through unblemished that they would still fall short. Why? The strength of schedules between the three schools isn't that drastically different at all. The only thing I can think of that would place the Scarlet Knights on a lower plain is name recognition. In my opinion, the fact that so much is determined by name recognition, past seasons, and tradition is one of (if not the) biggest problems with college football today.

I think this will all turn out to be moot anyway as I think Rutgers will probably fall to one or both of the other undefeateds in the Big East. Still, there is the question of "What if?".

Do you all think that if Rutgers were to go undefeated that they would be given the same opportunity that WVU or Louisville would if they went undefeated? Do you think they should be?

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:32 am

Rutgers didn't start in the top 25, that is their problem. It is a little about name recognition, for lack of a better term. I do believe that if Rutgers beats West Virginia and Louisville that they should get the same treatment WVU or UL would have gotten in the polls. I also believe that they will get the same treatment in the human polls, but maybe not the computers.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:39 am

Rutgers would fall short if they went undefeated. I don't think there would be a question about it. They would finish, at highest, #2 in the country, but like Spence said, they would likely not be #2 in the computers. Rutgers began way too far back to have a legit chance. I do think the human pollsters will treat Rutgers with respect, the computers might differ though.

Which I think would be unfair if Rutgers got through the Big East. So far, the only real contender they have played is a semi-overrated Pitt team. So if they made it through West Virginia and Louisville, they would have the right to cry foul.

From what I've seen, the Scarlet Knights have a really good team. It's not out of the question to suggest that they split with Louisville and West Virginia and wind up with one loss. However, I think UConn will give the Knights a run for their money tonight.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:42 am

That's interesting. I would have thought it the exact opposite with better numbers from the computers than the human polls.

Rutgers is another example of why there shouldn't be any rankings made until at least mid-season.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:44 am

Yeah, there probably shouldn't be. I still think pollsters would come into the season with preconcieved notions however.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:47 am

I agree, but if they waited until mid season I still have my doubts Rutgers would be ranked any higher then they are right now. They need to beat West Virginia and Louisville to get poll respect.

mountainman

Re: Rutgers...another victim to name recognition?

Postby mountainman » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:54 am

Jason G wrote:Do you all think that if Rutgers were to go undefeated that they would be given the same opportunity that WVU or Louisville would if they went undefeated? Do you think they should be?

Well, the Scarlet Knights would be crowned the Big East Conference Champions .... same as any other team in the conference. They would gain an automatic bid to the BCS Bowls .... same as any other team in the conference .... that much we know for certain.

The TV and media guys might not be so keen on it due the audiences of other teams that have more national appeal which would translate into more dollars for them (the media guys). The guys trying to 'politic' their way in would howl, rationalize, and claim 'befuddlement' .... right Charlie? :lol:

If the college football is indeed true, which, in the final analysis, I believe it is, sure they would and of course they should.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:00 pm

I don't think that TV would be a problem. That area is home to one of the largest TV market in the US and that area would likely support the team well in terms of ratings if they were to make it to the championship game.

Rutgers, if they win against West Virginia and Louisville should be given the same respect that those teams have gotten this year. If they finish undefeated, they should be in the championship game. This year if an undefeated WVU or Louisville comes out of the B-East they will make it into the championship game, I think that Rutgers should get the same respect.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:32 pm

But football teams aren't equal. They may all start with the same won loss record, but they aren't equal. A few years ago, Oklahoma made the NC game after losing to K-State. They made it based on the fact that they had played a very good schedule and evidence supported them being in the game. If they were treated the same as WVU or Louisville, this year, by losing they wouldn't have made it to the BCS let alone the championship game. Oklahoma got respect based not only by what they had done that year, but the few years previous. I don't think that is wrong, but it is a different standard then is being applied to the B-East this year. The team that loses in the Big East will drop off the BCS radar.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:10 pm

Rutgers are a much better team this year than in the past and are victims of 2 things.

#1 Public perception due to past years.

#2 Public Perception due to past years.

Would they stand up to OSU, Michigan, Texas or Auburn in the NC game?

No.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:25 pm

I may not think so either, but if they beat two top 10 teams in Louisville and West Virginia, who is to say they don't deserve the chance to try?

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:33 pm

Because they have will have beaten 2 top 10 teams to get there. Big difference IMO.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:13 pm

Over a 1 loss Texas team? Florida? Michigan? Auburn? Cal? I don't know if I'd let Boise State in over those teams. We're talking BCS championship game, right?

If we're talking about allowing Boise State to go to the BCS, then I agree. Just not the championship game. If there are no 1-loss teams left and Boise is the undefeated team left, they should be let in.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:47 pm

I don't think an undefeated Boise State should make the championship game over a 1 loss, say Texas. Texas will have played a few ranked teams and will have only lost to highly ranked Ohio State. If you allowed Boise to go over a 1 loss Texas, Florida, Arkansas, or any one who played tough schedules against ranked competition, in the next few years everybody would be trying to dumb down their schedule so they can run out. You would have mid major conferences falling all over them selves to schedule the weakest teams they could schedule. That doesn't make any sense to me.

If Boise State had even one opponent on their schedule that was ranked in the top 15 at the end of the year, I would agree they deserve a shot, for the same reasons I said Rutgers would. But you shouldn't be allowed to make the championship game by playing 12 teams that 50 teams in CFB could go undefeated playing. It cheapens what going undefeated means.

BYUfan1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Rutgers

Postby BYUfan1 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:00 pm

As someone who grew up in New Jersey, I think it is great that Rutgers is as high in the polls as they are. It had been a long time since they were even ranked. To be honest, Rutgers football meant nothing to me growing up. The television converage in south Jersey was Penn State and big Ten football (Late 70's). Rutgers basketball was on tv all the time, not the football team.

I think Rutgers is not getting the same recognition as WVU and Louisville because people don't see them beating both of them. No matter who it is, a one-loss Big East team is not playing for the national title. I really don't see Rutgers beating either of them, forget about both of them. Rutgers passing game is limited. With White, WVU has a better running game than Rutgers and their passing game is better. Teal is still learning and the WR core is thin and missing its best guy. The tight end is beat up physically too and not playing as well as expected. Rutgers handled Pitt's passing game, but Louisville's is one of the best. The concern right now is beating UCONN tonight.
The critic is one who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
-- Oscar Wilde

Return to “General Discussion”