Rutgers...another victim to name recognition?

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
mountainman

Postby mountainman » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:14 pm

The possibility is there, although I think it remote. I mean, Southern Cal dropped like a rock after their loss this past weekend. :shock:

There would have to be a collapse by a number of currently undefeated and one loss teams between now and the end of the season for it to happen. :wink:

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:18 pm

I still think the possibility is higher than people assume it is if there are no one loss teams other than Boise State left. In order for this to happen, West Virginia and Louisville would have to lose a game. If West Virginia and Louisville are undefeated, then Michigan has no chance at going to the title game.

I think Michigan can win at a neutral site, not at the Horseshoe.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:36 pm

I think Michigan can win at a neutral site, not at the Horseshoe.

Check Michigan's record against Ohio State in the 'Shoe. It is better then you may think. Home field hasn't had much to do with the game. Also Ohio State is replacing the turf for the second time in a month because the field is so slippery and in bad shape. It is really affecting the passing game and players ability to make cuts. It works against Ohio State's speed. Hopefully this time it will be right, but if it doesn't turn out any better then the last time the field will favor Michigan and their defense.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:25 pm

Man-o-man, this is the time of the season to live for. 8)

All the preliminaries are out of the way, it's conference play, rivalry games, weather is a factor, players are nicked and banged up, freshmen and sophomores are grown-up, juniors and seniors are showing leadership, the pretenders have been exposed and fallen by the wayside while those with the heart of a champion have that look of resolve, the wrinkles have been addressed and ironed out and all three phases of the game are working, and any one of them can win or lose a game for you.

And for the teams that have overcome adversity and have survived the first 2/3rds of the season, they have worked, suffered, come together as a team, and positioned themselves for a chance at a place very few ever get to go.

This is truely the time of the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:02 pm

I hope everyone here experiences the thrill of victory in their big games during the regular season. Well everyone except Eric. :lol:

We has a little blast of warm weather today so I cut out of work early and went to the golf coarse for one last round (probably). Football weather has settled in. Last week it was 44 degrees in the 'Shoe and as soon as the ground gets hard we will know it is Michigan week in Columbus. :wink:

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:10 pm

Spence wrote:I
We has a little blast of warm weather today so I cut out of work early and went to the golf coarse for one last round (probably). :

Played in Phoenix Friday....great weather...but remember Phoenix in July....Here in Washington, the wet and cold has started so golf is just about done....Sports here is just conversation....UW WSU...Seahawks...Mariners, Sonics......not a pretty picture. Feeling is here that the Sonics will not stick around. Taxpayers have had it with building arenas....Safeco Qwest Field...blowing up building not paid for..Kingdome...rebuilding projects done five years ago and not paid for..Key Arena....other than that....all is well.

And most important...only about five months until spring training.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:33 pm

Eric wrote:It is, Mountainman. The point of the season in which you lose should have nothing, repeat, NOTHING to do with the final standings. If Michigan played Ohio State the first game of the season and lost, why should that make a difference if they lose later? I really felt that Oklahoma deserved to be in the championship game in 2003 even though they got hammered in the last game of the season. If we look at the entire body of work, what teams have done over the course of the entire season should be the only thing that matters.
In reference to the Big XII title game, I thought Oklahoma embarrassed themselves, if they were trying to show they deserved a spot in the NC, they failed, miserably. If anything, K-State should have been selected, based on the result. As it was, the BCS was stuck with a 'pseudo' national championship pairing of teams.
Coincidentally, Oklahoma was being touted as the 'best ever' leading up to that game. Seems to me that's something a team needs to earn.

Eric wrote:If Michigan and Ohio State are really the #1 and #2 teams in the country, why shouldn't they get a go at it on a neutral site? That might make a difference.
I'm not sure 'neutral' really matters all that much, IMO. Sure, Ohio St will have a 'logistical' advantage, playing at home. That adds to the competitive aspect of that rivalry. If it were played in a 'neutral' site, you would lose that aspect, which would be bad, in my opinion. Hopefully, Rutgers and W. Virginia will both be undefeated, end of season. That way, there are two 'preliminary' games leading up to the NC. I seriously doubt, Ohio St & Michigan will be paired, two consecutive games, with only one having any bearing on who wins the NC. Redundant (or is it 'retarded'?).

Eric wrote:There are 3 teams with a legit reason to be #1 (that would be all 3 of our teams, Spence and MM). If there is another undefeated team besides Boise State, they should get the chance instead of the Michigan/Ohio State loser. If there are other 1 loss teams and Michigan loses a really close game, the only one you could really make an argument for is Florida or Auburn.
I don't think you can necessarily exclude any team from the NC, unless circumstances warrant it. That means, it's very possible Michigan and Ohio St 'could' be paired together, if both teams meet the standard being applied. Texas maybe deserves some consideration, given how they are defending NC. Notre Dame's only loss, to date is against the Michigan Wolverines, so if Michigan beats Ohio St, why shouldn't N.D. be considered? I don't have a problem with allowing the SEC a representative to the NC, but it better be Arkansas, given how they beat Auburn. If it's Auburn, I think I'll puke.

Eric wrote:If West Virginia and Louisville lose during the course of the season, I truly believe that the national championship should be Michigan and Ohio State.
Obviously, only one of those teams will be undefeated at season's end, barring some as yet unforseen event.
So, it would appear reasonable to conclude that any Big East team might be considered for the NC, provided they meet the eligibility requirement.

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:43 pm

I'm not sure 'neutral' really matters all that much, IMO. Sure, Ohio St will have a 'logistical' advantage, playing at home. That adds to the competitive aspect of that rivalry. If it were played in a 'neutral' site, you would lose that aspect, which would be bad, in my opinion. Hopefully, Rutgers and W. Virginia will both be undefeated, end of season. That way, there are two 'preliminary' games leading up to the NC. I seriously doubt, Ohio St & Michigan will be paired, two consecutive games, with only one having any bearing on who wins the NC. Redundant (or is it 'retarded'?).

#1: I'm talking about a neutral site making a difference on the outcome of the game. I'm not saying they should play the regular season game at a neutral site like Texas/Oklahoma or Georgia/Florida does.

#2: Rutgers and WVU both can't finish undefeated because their paths cross once this season.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:34 pm

Eric wrote:I think this possibility is more than people realize. The disparity between #2 and #3 is huge right now in the BCS even though West Virginia will have to play USF, Cincinnati, Pitt, Louisville, and Rutgers. If the loser gets beat by less than 3 points, I think it's a real possibility they meet at a neutral site for a rematch.

If West Virginia or Louisville made it out of the Big East unscathed, I would want them to go over the Michigan/OSU loser, but it might not happen. If the AP drops the loser of The Game to #3, the computers might differ and stick them at #2.

I didn't say it can't happen. I just don't think it should happen. I am not a big fan of rematched when there are several other viable teams in the country that deserve a shot first. I'm not sure that even Texas or Notre Dame should be given a rematch (depending on who wins) , but I think it would be more reasonable then letting someone you played the last game of the regular season have another shot. That would be double elimination without anyone else getting a chance to play.

That is the emotional argument against a rematch, this is the football argument. Look at the SOS of both Ohio State and Michigan. Neither team has played a better schedule then any 1 loss team from the B-East, SEC, PAC-10, or Big 12. In fact both teams have really only played one team. Why should a one loss team from the B-10 this year play over a one loss team who has played a better schedule? We talk about this all the time when refering to mid major conferences, the same should apply here. No matter which team that losses in The Game, Ohio State or Michigan, they shouldn't get another shot based purely on playing a bad schedule. If Ohio State hadn't have scheduled Texas they wouldn't have a nationally competitive team on their schedule until Michigan. It may not be their fault, but that doesn't really matter. You are subject to be judged by the schedule you play.
Last edited by Spence on Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:41 pm

[/quote]There are 3 teams with a legit reason to be #1 (that would be all 3 of our teams, Spence and MM). I believe that the national championship should be Michigan and Ohio State.[/quote]

or in the words of Marie Antoinette..."let them eat cake."

It is so humbling to be in your presence.....how do you genuflect on a computer.......[[/quote]
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:31 pm

In light of the events Thursday night, I thought I'd delve into the archives and bring this topic back since it seems to have even more relevance now than it originally did.

For the record, I agree if Rutgers goes undefeated they should be playing in the national championship game. I will be rooting for them to run the table just to see how all this plays out. That being said I think the Knights will have their hands full with the Mountaineers when that game comes around and I think the Cincy game should definitely be on "Upset Watch".

To me, though, it is totally absurd to think that an undefeated Rutgers should be given any less respect or opportunity than an undefeated Louisville or West Virginia would have been and if either of them had unblemished records at season's end they would have been in Glendale in January.

Plus, if the BCS is going to place a certain six conferences on a pedestal over the rest of college football (I won't deliberate on that now) and only two teams from those 6 conferences go undefeated isn't it only common sense that those two teams would meet to determine a BCS champion?

One more point....many in this forum have said it is the computers that would not respect Rutgers as much as the human polls. I think quite the opposite. Going into last week Rutgers was in the mid-teens in both. human polls but their BCS computer average was ranked #8.

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:39 pm

Rutgers has no chance to be in the National Championship game, as it should be. If going unbeaten is the criteria for playing for the national championship then teams will downgrade their schedules as much as possible and the advantage then goes to the teams in the weakest conferences.

I don't think they will beat W Virginia and even if they do, they will not pass the SEC champion, Texas, USC.

I did love them beating Louisville, as Louisville had a chance to be in the national championship game, and I also did not feel they were worthy coming out of the Big East conference.
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:56 pm

I understand the point you are making. I don't necessarily believe that Rutgers is the best opponent for (presumably) the OSU-Michigan winner. Then again I don't necessarily NOT believe it either.

My points are simply..why doesn't an undefeated Rutgers garner the same attention and opportunity as an undefeated West Virginia or Louisville? The only thing I can come up with is the name on the front of the jersey and performance in past years as opposed to THIS year.

The other point...why designate some conferences as BCS conferences if you can be an undefeated team in one of those leagues and still not have a shot at the championship? What does a school like Rutgers have to be expected to do to have a legitimate shot? In my opinion, teams should never be penalized for the strength or perceived abscence of strength of their league. That, in no way, shape, or form is the fault of the team itself. You only control 3 or 4 games on your schedule and most of those games are set up years in advance so in a lot of ways it is somewhat of a gamble.

Compare Rutgers non-league schedule to those of some of the other top teams and you may find that the Knights' is weaker but in most cases not overwhelmingly weaker. Remember Illinois lost to Ohio State by 7..Rutgers blew them out. Navy is a difficult team to play and will be bowling again...Rutgers won on Navy's field 34-0. Ohio University is in line to win their division of the MAC and Rutgers beat them as well. Howard is the team they should never have scheduled but then again a lot of powerhouse teams tend to schedule a team like that every year.

Return to “General Discussion”