Overrated/Disrespected

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

Overrated/Disrespected

Postby Eric » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:41 pm

What teams do you think are the most overrated? Underrated?

I have 2 teams for most overrated because it is a tie. Boston College and Wisconsin. I think both of these teams are solid, but they have taken advantage of weaker-than-usual conferences. Boston College upset Clemson, I don't believe that BC is actually better. If they rematch that game, I think Clemson would win more times than not. They beat a down Virginia Tech team. BYU and Central Michigan gave them some big-time struggles. They didn't play great against Maine. They beat a down Florida State team. People look at it like "wow! This team beat Clemson, Florida State, and Virgnina Tech!" Most years, that would be super impressive, this year, not so much. I like Boston College as a team; O'Brien is consistently the most underrated coach in the country and Ryan is the toughest player in all of football, but I think this is a decent team, not one that will challenge for an ACC crown most seasons.

Wisconsin is another that has beat up on weak competition. Wisconsin is a good team, no doubt, but a top 15 one? Eh, that's iffy. Even so, with all of the ESPNU I've been watching lately, Luginbill and McShay are in love with this team. Sure, P.J. Hill has been great. But look, the Big 10, team-for-team is the worst of the "Big 6" even when it has 2 of the nation's best teams. Illinois is terrible, Indiana is bad, Minnesota is bad, Northwestern is terrible, Purdue is a bad team, Michigan State is decent when they are focused and not enduring a downward spiral, and Iowa has played pretty bad so far. Penn State hasn't been too flashy either. Wisconsin has a legit shot at tying for 2nd place in the Big 10 with one loss and being ranked in the top 10, and only because the conference is so bad.

Now most underrated would be Tulsa and Hawaii. Hawaii has lost to some pretty good teams in Alabama and Boise State (both on the road). Hawaii has played very impressively and will be 10-2 when it is all said and done. They have by far the best passing attack in the nation and are a great team at Aloha Stadium. They will not lose another game in the WAC and will be locked up in shootouts vs. Purdue and Oregon State at the very end of the season. Look for them to beat both of those teams and finish with a very good record.

Tulsa is a good team and they are head-and-shoulders the best team that C-USA has to offer. Paul Smith is a very efficient quarterback and their schedule sets up nicely. UTEP may challenge them this coming Friday, and Houston may. I don't think either really do and Tulsa finish with 1 loss. This is a pretty good football team.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

colorado_loves_football

Re: Overrated/Disrespected

Postby colorado_loves_football » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:29 pm

Eric wrote:What teams do you think are the most overrated? Underrated?

Well, I guess it's all in what you mean by that. I've almost always thought Notre Dame was 'over-rated' by the media attention they receive, each and every year, but it doesnt' mean they aren't a very good football team, in any event. But, they rarely live up to the 'hype'.

I think Boise St. 'may' be over-rated. Again, I think they have a good team, but they haven't played anyone who (as of yet) is considered 'very good' by anyone (outside of their conference). Taking nothing away from Oregon St, they needed a late 'surge' to beat USC, not exactly what I'd call 'overwhelming' evidence, either way (but it makes for headlines!).

Their win over Hawaii is looking a lot better, all the time, though. Hawaii beat Idaho (a 'decent' WAC team) 68-10. Sure, it's Idaho, but that's impressive! Had Hawaii not lost to Alabama, there might even be talk of Boise St. for the N.C. game. So, Boise St. gets my vote, 'over-rated'.

"Under-rated"? Well, I've been impressed, with how Brigham Young has played, all season long. They nearly beat the Eagles in regulation, but their F.G. was short & wide (by quite a bit, actually). And, they probably should have beaten Arizona, but didn't (credit the Wildcats for winning it).
Since then, they've played a lot 'smarter' football, not so many turnovers.
Good teams find ways to win close games, obviously, but BYU looks good.

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:11 am

I do agree that Auburn is overrated. They were completely dismantled by the Hogs, and are squeking by inferior competition (just look how the Hogs played against Ole Miss in back to back weeks: Hogs won 38-3 and the Auburn Tigers needed a late field goal to break a tie in a game that they trailed for most of).

As for Arkansas I am not sure if they are underated. I think they are about where they should be right now. They were beat by USC, squeked by Vanderbilt, and Alabama at the beginning of the season. They have played very well since. Beating Auburn was a good win....however if you think that Auburn is overrated then that diminishes the Ark win over them. Another reason Ark looked has looked good is that they played South East Missouri State, Ole Miss, and Louisiana Monroe. They did win big in all three like they should have. If Arkansas wins their next 2 games then they will be in the top 10 and looking like a lock for the SEC West title. They will get the respect.......you have to earn it though.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:30 am

Boise State is not over rated, nor are they under rated....they are, as so often is the case when a mid or minor program creeps into the area where large schools feel they have a divine right to be and only they, regardless of their current records, should remain, a thorn. :wink:

And like all thorns, they are tolerated until the time is to pluck them out.

As for under rated, it is Ohio State. They are a far better team than they are given credit for. They will sail through. Their problem is, there is no one of their caliber to play in the National Chamipionship and that will diminish how good they really are. :)

Over rated, USC...but that will soon come to an end. :cry:
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:11 am

How can being #1 all season long make you under-rated. :lol: It isn't often the Buckeye's are under-rated. Ohio State is on par with the top teams this year. They haven't played anyone except Texas, yet. but Michigan is going to be a true test. If Ohio State gets past Blue then I think they will deserve to play in the championship, haveing played two #2 teams. The rest of the schedule, though, is bad. undeserving of any props.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:01 pm

Spence wrote:How can being #1 all season long make you under-rated. :lol: It isn't often the Buckeye's are under-rated. Ohio State is on par with the top teams this year. They haven't played anyone except Texas, yet. but Michigan is going to be a true test. If Ohio State gets past Blue then I think they will deserve to play in the championship, haveing played two #2 teams. The rest of the schedule, though, is bad. undeserving of any props.

Such humilty is unbecoming! 8)

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:10 pm

donovan wrote:Boise State is not over rated, nor are they under rated....they are, as so often is the case when a mid or minor program creeps into the area where large schools feel they have a divine right to be and only they, regardless of their current records, should remain, a thorn. :wink:

And like all thorns, they are tolerated until the time is to pluck them out.
I don't fault Boise St, for their schedule. I think, overall, they've played a 'fair' one, but none stand out, at least not in my mind. Their most impressive win, was against Utah, and Utah (other than their win over Texas Christian) has since 'tanked', mostly (they beat UNLV, last).
You can't blame them for not having played "better" opponents, OOC. Actually, within conference, they have beaten good teams (NMSU, Hawaii)
Those teams are strong, offensively, and put up good numbers, also. Against Wyoming, they faced a strong defensive team and was held to 17 points (just enough to win). There are a few ? in my mind, how they would do against say, Louisiana St. Simply stated, we really don't know (yet) just how good the Boise St. Broncos are, nor will be until January.

Donovan wrote:As for under rated, it is Ohio State. They are a far better team than they are given credit for. They will sail through. Their problem is, there is no one of their caliber to play in the National Chamipionship and that will diminish how good they really are. :)
Abolultely ridiculous, to imply they are somehow 'under-rated'.

Donvan wrote:Over rated, USC...but that will soon come to an end. :cry:
Please tell me you wrote this 'before' last week's game?

Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:21 pm

but I do think that there isn't a team in college football this year that will even test them to their limits or even come that close to beating them.

I disagree. Michigan has a good shot at them, not that I think they will or anything. West Virginia will get a go at them in the BCS Championship game, but I might want to edit that at 11:30 tonight and replace it with Louisville :lol:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:40 pm

LubbockHasNoTrees wrote:
donovan wrote:Such humilty is unbecoming! 8)

It's easy to be that way when you're on top :wink:
I too think Ohio State is under-rated... they are far and away the best team in my opinion... West Virginia will give them a great game in the NC but Ohio State is easily the strongest team.

And Spence, you asked how they can be under-rated and still be #1... the idea that Michigan or West Virginia or anyone will test Ohio State or even have the ability to beat them this year is why they are under-rated... I don't believe there is a team out there to test Ohio State this year... they've been my pick since the preseason and I see no signs of them letting down... they'll continue to roll uncontested. Ohio State is NOT THE MOST UNDER-RATED team... BUT I don't think they get the credit for how good they really are this year... and you're just paranoid that they'll lose.

1st. I am not that humble, as many here can attest.

I think that Michigan will test Ohio State in a major way. Michigan's D line is the best in the country. If they can keep pressure on Smith, it will be tough on Ohio State to win. Do I think Michigan can stop Ohio State? No, but I think they can slow then down enough to win the game if the Michigan offense can play well. That is the key to the game. How well Michigan's offense plays in relation to Ohio State's defense. Ohio State has trouble stopping the screen passes and Michigan lives on the screen. Also Ohio State needs to stop Hart. Which is possible because Ohio State is pretty good in stopping power backs, it is the scat backs that the Buckeyes have had trouble with.

Whick leads me to West Virginia. They have two guys who can spread a defense and make them look silly. Ohio State doesn't match up well with West Virginia, I would much rather face Louisville who runs a more traditional offense.

There are eight to ten teams in the country who could beat Ohio State. In college football everyone has holes. No one is unbeatable.

What the Buckeyes have going for them is depth. The coaches have rotated over 50 guys in and out of the game in the first half of every game they have played this year, including Texas. Texas thought that the boys from Ohio would wilt in the Texas heat, but they rotated so many players in and out that Ohio State was the team that was fresh at the end of that game. It has also allowed Ohio State to have several injuries this year and be none the worse for wear. Two D linemen have missed games with minor knee surgery and haven't been missed. Ted Ginn is playing with a broken toe. Russel Anderson (starting safety) was lost for the year during the Iowa game. Gonzo, Pittcock, and Ray Small have missed games with concussions and Boone (OT) is out this week for knee surgery. Ohio State has played through all of it thanks to the coaches rotation. Putting players in to the game during the heat of battle and getting them comfortable.

Ohio State is a good football team. I am not trying to say they aren't (trust me), but they aren't head and shoulders over everyone in the country. No one is.

Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:44 pm

I think Michigan's defense will make Ohio State look mediocre offensively, but Michigan doesn't have nearly enough pop offensively to really contend in that game. Manningham would have to be 100% healthy for us to have a legit shot at them.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:55 pm

It is going to be a classic game. There is usually no blowout in this game when one team is bad. No way this is a high scoring affair. The only way something like that happens is if one team turns the ball over several times.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:09 pm

colorado_loves_football wrote:
donovan wrote:
Donvan wrote:Over rated, USC...but that will soon come to an end. :cry:
Please tell me you wrote this 'before' last week's game?

see my last week picks on the Pac 10 predicting that could be the upset. USC has not been that strong this year....and they will lose two more..

Your "Please tell you wrote...." sounds like Jack Nicholsen in "A few good men.....and when it comes to football not only can not stand the truth...I do not even want to hear it.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:30 pm

Spence wrote:
1st. I am not that humble, as many here can attest.
I second that motion, ask that it be taken into evidence, if the judge will allow it.

Spence wrote:I think that Michigan will test Ohio State in a major way. Michigan's D line is the best in the country. If they can keep pressure on Smith, it will be tough on Ohio State to win. Do I think Michigan can stop Ohio State? No, but I think they can slow then down enough to win the game if the Michigan offense can play well. That is the key to the game. How well Michigan's offense plays in relation to Ohio State's defense. Ohio State has trouble stopping the screen passes and Michigan lives on the screen. Also Ohio State needs to stop Hart. Which is possible because Ohio State is pretty good in stopping power backs, it is the scat backs that the Buckeyes have had trouble with.

I second that motion, but in 'reverse'. I think Ohio St's offense will 'stretch' Michigan's defense, which so far really hasn't been 'tested' yet (outside of Wisconsin's). Michigan's offense is 'sound', but it relies, heavily, in my opinion, on one player, Mario Manningham. Mike Hart, gives Michigan the 'running' threat they desperately need, but he seems to be an 'in between the hashes' sort of running back. I dont' think he'll 'stretch' Ohio St's defense much, if at all. The game rests on Chad Henne's shoulders. How he plays, will weigh heavily on the final outcome, similar to how W. Virginia's offense fared by Pat White's game.
Final analysis: If Michigan can keep Troy Smith 'in check', keep their offense on the field, it could be a long afternoon for the Buckeyes.

Spence wrote:Whick leads me to West Virginia. They have two guys who can spread a defense and make them look silly. Ohio State doesn't match up well with West Virginia, I would much rather face Louisville who runs a more traditional offense.
They needed both players, to beat Louisville, unfortunately. Does Ohio St have a running back?

Spence wrote:There are eight to ten teams in the country who could beat Ohio State. In college football everyone has holes. No one is unbeatable.
No one is 'unbeatable' but the team that finishes 'undefeated' should be given 'priority' absent of a playoff, IMO.

Spence wrote:What the Buckeyes have going for them is depth. The coaches have rotated over 50 guys in and out of the game in the first half of every game they have played this year, including Texas. Texas thought that the boys from Ohio would wilt in the Texas heat, but they rotated so many players in and out that Ohio State was the team that was fresh at the end of that game. It has also allowed Ohio State to have several injuries this year and be none the worse for wear. Two D linemen have missed games with minor knee surgery and haven't been missed. Ted Ginn is playing with a broken toe. Russel Anderson (starting safety) was lost for the year during the Iowa game. Gonzo, Pittcock, and Ray Small have missed games with concussions and Boone (OT) is out this week for knee surgery. Ohio State has played through all of it thanks to the coaches rotation. Putting players in to the game during the heat of battle and getting them comfortable.

The 'trademark' of any good team, is having competent backups, who can play, when needed. Ohio St likely has them in 'droves'. But, there are clearly other aspects that affect how a team does, over a 3 month span. I still think the key is playing together as a 'unit' regardless of who's in the game. No one player can make a team 'better' on his own.

Spence wrote:Ohio State is a good football team. I am not trying to say they aren't (trust me), but they aren't head and shoulders over everyone in the country. No one is.
I doubt anyone is suggesting as much, I know I'm not (all credit to the Buckeyes football program).
On any given Saturday (apologies to Oliver Stone) anything can happen.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:33 pm

CLF wrote:I second that motion, but in 'reverse'. I think Ohio St's offense will 'stretch' Michigan's defense, which so far really hasn't been 'tested' yet (outside of Wisconsin's). Michigan's offense is 'sound', but it relies, heavily, in my opinion, on one player, Mario Manningham. Mike Hart, gives Michigan the 'running' threat they desperately need, but he seems to be an 'in between the hashes' sort of running back. I dont' think he'll 'stretch' Ohio St's defense much, if at all. The game rests on Chad Henne's shoulders. How he plays, will weigh heavily on the final outcome, similar to how W. Virginia's offense fared by Pat White's game.
Final analysis: If Michigan can keep Troy Smith 'in check', keep their offense on the field, it could be a long afternoon for the Buckeyes.

Manningham is great, but without Hart and stout offensive line play, he can't beat Ohio State. Ohio State's secondary is very good. Ask Limas Sweed, plus they are better now.

Hart's ability to draw the defense up is what makes Michigan's offense work. Henne needs time or he will make mistakes. Michigan's ability to make the play action work for them is their bread and butter.

CLF wrote:They needed both players, to beat Louisville, unfortunately. Does Ohio St have a running back?

His name is Antonio Pittman. He ran for 1300 yards last season. This season he has 900 yards and is averaging 5.5 per carry and 11 yards recieving. Our second RB is Chris Wells and he has 400 yards and is averaging 4.8 yards per carry and 8 yards receiving. Wells is a true fresman and he still plays like a true freshman, but he is an absolute bull rush back with amazing speed for a guy who goes 235. Ohio State's receivers get most of the pub, but we can run the ball pretty well.

Ohio State can run every type of base offense effectively. Troy Smith can make all the passes you want a QB to make. Ohio State will run every formation against Michigan, including the "I". Michigan is good enough to slow them down, but they won't stop the Ohio State offense. How much they slow the Buckeye offense will be key.

CLF wrote:The 'trademark' of any good team, is having competent backups, who can play, when needed. Ohio St likely has them in 'droves'. But, there are clearly other aspects that affect how a team does, over a 3 month span. I still think the key is playing together as a 'unit' regardless of who's in the game. No one player can make a team 'better' on his own.

That was my point. Ohio State drove the length of the field on Texas using the entire second team offensive line in the 1st. half of the game. They play 10 offensive lineman in every game. They do the same on defense. If that is not working as a unit, I don't know what is would be called.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:30 pm

Spence wrote:Manningham is great, but without Hart and stout offensive line play, he can't beat Ohio State. Ohio State's secondary is very good. Ask Limas Sweed, plus they are better now.
I seem to recall Ohio St having some trouble keeping Cincinnati 'in check'. And, they aren't necessarily what I'd call an offensive 'powerhouse'. It's not necessarily about their talent. I think it's about 'heart', something you really can't 'calculate', that wins a NC. Any team can win with talent.

Spence wrote:Hart's ability to draw the defense up is what makes Michigan's offense work. Henne needs time or he will make mistakes. Michigan's ability to make the play action work for them is their bread and butter.
It would appear (to me) that Michigan has Hart, working in their favor, and Henne at the controls. With Manningham serving as the 'throttle'. How can they lose?

Spence wrote:His name is Antonio Pittman. He ran for 1300 yards last season. This season he has 900 yards and is averaging 5.5 per carry and 11 yards recieving. Our second RB is Chris Wells and he has 400 yards and is averaging 4.8 yards per carry and 8 yards receiving. Wells is a true fresman and he still plays like a true freshman, but he is an absolute bull rush back with amazing speed for a guy who goes 235. Ohio State's receivers get most of the pub, but we can run the ball pretty well.
Those are good numbers, but I think Ohio St, still needs more 'balance' in how they approach it, personally. I like Troy Smith, he may even win the Heisman, but NC's are won (and lost) by how well a team plays as a whole. Generally speaking, they don't coincidel although they can. Pittman is clearly an outstanding running back.

Spence wrote:
Ohio State can run every type of base offense effectively. Troy Smith can make all the passes you want a QB to make. Ohio State will run every formation against Michigan, including the "I". Michigan is good enough to slow them down, but they won't stop the Ohio State offense. How much they slow the Buckeye offense will be key.
I don't necessarily have a problem with how the Buckeyes approach the game, but I think they could stand to be a little more 'humble'. I don't really like seeing them put inordinate scores on teams, just to prove a point. They did that against Cincinnati, it didn't really impress me all that much.

Spence wrote:That was my point. Ohio State drove the length of the field on Texas using the entire second team offensive line in the 1st. half of the game. They play 10 offensive lineman in every game. They do the same on defense. If that is not working as a unit, I don't know what is would be called.
They are entitled to play whoever they want, whenever they want. That's their prerogative. Jim Tressell is a very good (if not outstanding) football coach. All things being equal, I still hope the Wolverines give them a game. A NC pairing, of teams, IMO.

Return to “General Discussion”