SEC

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:23 pm

Yeah...but FSU plays a tougher schedule than Arkansas, year in and out...and teams play SCHEDULES, NOT CONFERENCES.

FSU plays a tougher schedule than Alabama....LSU....Tennessee...Ark

..................................SOS RANK...........................................

Team..........98........99......00....01.....02.....03....04.....05

FSU..............5.........11......12.....2......3.......2......29....30

Bama..........7..........1.......17.....36....15......,3......73....59

Ark..............46........53......63.....18....18.....35.....38....51

LSU.............23........42.......59.....20....33.....28.....46....50
Tenn...........24.........13......70.......1.....45.....30....37....32
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:00 pm

Healthy team? What's that?
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:49 pm

billybud wrote:Healthy team? What's that?

I hear ya. The Big 10 voted not to take bye weeks and run 12 straight. Ohio State has Alex Boone(LT) out (last week and at least this week). The guy who took his place isn't nearly as good at protecting Troy Smiths blind side. Not anything near the problems that FSU has had, but if he isn't back for Michigan I may as well start crying now. Without him Woodley will be eating TS for lunch.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:38 pm

I would definately be in favor of the SEC going to straight games. That has hurt Georgia this year, because we are playing 11 straight games. It's helped us before, teh schedule rotates around...Making it "fair".
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:59 pm

HeismanHog wrote:Pardon me, but I think we (Arkansas) are the best SEC team this year, we beat auburn, who beat fla, who beat tenn, blah blah. You prove my point by stating that the SEC has a tough time putting there "best" team in the BCS. Ofcourse they have a hard time b/c you have teams from conferences that have easier roads to ho end up undefeated and go in place of a one loss SEC team. Now I'm not saying that say an udefeated Lousville or Rutgers shouldnt be considered for a BCS game over a one loss SEC team. But be honest and look at the usual competitive teams in the SEC.
Either Louisville (or Rutgers) would make a better representative than a one (or two) loss SEC team. Taking nothing away from them, they can't 'close the deal'. Tuberville knew he needed to be undefeated. Arkansas really has no excuse, either. SEC competition while very good, isn't 'superior' to any other conference, in my estimation. That's likely 'fabrication' on your part, based on circumstantial evidence. How long (prior to Auburn's win over V.T.) since SEC was in position to win a NC? Florida or Tennessee?.
Auburn wasn't in position to win, 2004, but I credit them for being 13-0.

HeismanHog wrote:Obviously any team has to face ATLEAST two of the top three teams in their own division every year, plus a lot of the time one of those powers from the OTHER division is on the rotating schedule, PLUS if you do someone manage to win your own division, THEN you have to go and beat the other divisions best team in the chamipionship game.
Nearly every conference has a 'similar' although not 'identical' approach to the SEC. It's far from 'unique'. And, like I said, they seem to have a difficult time sending a deserving team to the BCS, nearly every year. This year, there's no 'dominant' team.

HeismanHog wrote:I'm sorry but no other conference in the nation has this tough a road for their own conference champion to have to survive. Not the Big10, not the PAC10 - which has NO CCG, not the Big (L)East, not the ACC, not any conference. And that isn't even considering that the "lower" teams in the SEC are liable to reach out and bite anyone on any given week, especially when the underdog is at home, you just don't see that in other conferences. Although I will say the PAC10 is rapidly catching up with the SEC in this area.

Confernece title games, aren't the 'be-all', 'end-all' as anyone would tell you. Auburn will likely be 'left out' this year. They serve a purpose, but they aren't 'perfect'. I credit the Pac-Ten for applying a 'competitive' approach, this year, every team plays every other team, within the Conf.

Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:01 pm

Spence wrote:
billybud wrote:Healthy team? What's that?

I hear ya. The Big 10 voted not to take bye weeks and run 12 straight. Ohio State has Alex Boone(LT) out (last week and at least this week). The guy who took his place isn't nearly as good at protecting Troy Smiths blind side. Not anything near the problems that FSU has had, but if he isn't back for Michigan I may as well start crying now. Without him Woodley will be eating TS for lunch.

Don't sweat it; I'm sure Ohio State has some lineman waiting in the wings. They'll do fine against Michigan, no problems at all.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:14 pm

That was the problem, Boone's back up didn't play well. The LT has to protect the QB at all costs. You can't let the QB get hit from behind like he was doing. Schaffer can back Boone up for a few plays and do alright, but if he is in there the whole game, Ohio State is in trouble.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Return to “General Discussion”