Opening Night

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Opening Night

Postby highfly24 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:15 pm

The season is here. Several games kick tonight and I'm curious what your thoughts on them are. If Tennessee is as good as advertised they should be able to wear down and beat a decent but overmatched Appy State team. Louisville should win handily, letting someone rest a little easier tonight :D , and I just dont care what Indiana and FIU do.

South Carolina vs Vandy is hyped up being a SEC game but neither will actually be good on the big scale. Vandy putting up a good fight is prolly the most we can ask for. I think the best matchup is Rice vs Western Kentucky. Neither team has the hype but a conference game with a league favorite breaking in a new QB is intriguing.

Swamp Daddy
Coordinator
Coordinator

Re: Opening Night

Postby Swamp Daddy » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:00 pm

:lol: Expected blowout materialized quickly into a 56-0 lead at halftime. 2nd and 3rd strings played the whole second half with the score a 14-14 tie; end score 70-14 in UL's favor.

New super QB Lamar Jackson set a new record in passing for 6 TDs and rushing for 2 more in the first half.l.even ESPN liked that one. :P

traveling to the Cuse next week then the first biggie when Florida State comes to town.

have fun all, Swamp Daddy :roll:
visit: http://thecrunchzone.com/ for news
site moved to: http://cardinalforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1 for discussions

generic university site is: http://www.gocards.com/

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:37 am

This was a pretty lackluster slate of games for the opener, although we always get a bunch of FCS tuneups. I'm a little tired of this point at seeing South Carolina kick off the season every year. I always know I'm going to get lackluster offensive outputs every time (Spurrier had some very talented offenses, but he always found a way to struggle at QB; Muschamp will be 10x worse).

I had my eye on the Oregon State / Minnesota matchup. Oregon State is going to make some strides this year, they were usually overmatched last season but I think they're getting better. The App State game was a lot of fun, I was cheering for them hard tonight. But, I've seen this script a million times, I'm desensitized at this point so the loss wasn't a let-down. The small teams usually choke. I think Lamar Jackson started his Heisman campaign tonight (he's actually my pick to win the Heisman, although McCaffery will give him a run for his money). Reservations about their opponent are duly noted, I just think the guy is special regardless. I have Louisville in the playoffs this year with Alabama, LSU, and Stanford (I haven't gone on record at CFP yet this year, what is wrong with me? :shock: ). I think they're a one-loss type of team along with the other two (Bama/LSU winner will probably be undefeated). Never thought I'd say this, but I'm cheering hard for USC Saturday night. :shock:

I put some money down on the Jackson State / UNLV game tonight just to make it interesting (I took Jackson State +40, how dumb was that? :lol: ). I didn't think much of the Rebels coming into this year, but they're on my radar now as a possible bowl team coming out of the Mountain West. They look like they have some underrated talent at the skill positions and their freshman QB looks like one to build around for the future. I knew JSU was going to be God-awful, but I expected UNLV to come out flat. They didn't. I should have known better than to bet on the SWAC. Now if Eastern tomorrow was favored by 30 points against Mississippi Valley State, I might have to violate my newly-adopted rule :lol:

I was also expecting the William & Mary vs. NC State game to be a lot closer than it was. W&M got pounded. Maybe NC State's defense is getting better? Nah, I doubt it. Let's see what they do against North Carolina and Florida State before we jump to any conclusions.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:08 am

:?: :?: :?:

I certainly missed something; because I had no idea [and retrospectively, reason to suspect or assume] that Tennessee was coming into the season, preranked @ 9.

Could somebody explain what I lost in translation, somewhere? --- I know I haven't been paying quite that close attention this off season, however, I don't see where there were any giant strides out of Knoxville in the last few years.

Yes, they have improved a little along the way. But, #9 ..?

I have always believed that anyone in the top 10, should be able to give their peers a game. A top 10 ranking is an achievement stating that you are in an elite position. What exactly have the Volunteers done to establish themselves near the top of the podium?

Anyone ..?

[and try not answering by saying it's because they are in the SEC]

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:13 am

I agree, I think the hype machine has gotten way out of control on Tennessee. People were saying how great UT would be last year and it never really came to fruition, so they're trying again. It's Tennessee, they still do dumb things. They were lucky to get out of there alive tonight. I think the media was liking the fact that Williams, Malone, Dobbs, Hurd, and Kamara are all a year older and that the defense was returning some starters. That, in combination with a weak SEC East, made them the odds-on favorites. They are also helmed by one of the worst coaches in the SEC, Butch Jones. He constantly gets his lunch eaten by his betters in this league. I still the Vols will end up winning about 9 games or so, despite their head coach.

Washington is another team that I liked that really got on the runaway hype train during the month of August. They went from a nifty under-the-radar team to one that people are sticking in the top 15, again for no real reason. I had Washington I think at #24 in my preseason poll that I strung together around July here (I had the Vols around #20 or so if I recall). Washington will be a nice team but not one that belongs near the top 10.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:42 am

Tennessee certainly looks overrated. They should be a good team, and might even win the SEC East, but that doesnt make them a great team, or a top 10 team. I think the team still lacks discipline which will cost them. Louisville was very impressive against inferior opponent but still impressed. Have to be looking forward to their next few games.

Western Kentucky/Rice was not quite the competitive game I called for. WKU looks like they will be in the race for the conf title game again, along with Marshall.
Eric wrote:I'm a little tired of this point at seeing South Carolina kick off the season every year. I always know I'm going to get lackluster offensive outputs every time (Spurrier had some very talented offenses, but he always found a way to struggle at QB; Muschamp will be 10x worse).

Agree with this. I know they push the SEC but feel free to mix it up some. Havent seen Clemson yet but I see a major thumping coming in that one, rivalry be darn.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:02 pm

..and if you live on the West Coast, how droll the line up is.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Swamp Daddy
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Swamp Daddy » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:24 pm

Louisville has had success and failure in the dome; one could even label this a possible trap game with FSU coming to town in the third game. Still, Bobby Petrino can pull multiple rabbits out of one hat; so, things may go well at the Cuse.

It was vintage Bobby P. to see him sprint down the sideline to call a timeout with 9 seconds left in the half (to give his QB more 2 minute drill) to punch in another TD. Charlotte has made one of the quickest moves into top tier football from FCS to FBS after only a few years of even having a team. And, as usual, they are paying a price for their inexperience.

Swamp Daddy :P
visit: http://thecrunchzone.com/ for news
site moved to: http://cardinalforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1 for discussions

generic university site is: http://www.gocards.com/

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:43 pm

Well, Temples season is in jeopardy already. Nice game by the Black Knights. Army had 4 runners with @ least 50 yards. They made their game plan, and executed it.

Highfly, your guys look to be off to a decent start.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:17 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:Well, Temples season is in jeopardy already. Nice game by the Black Knights. Army had 4 runners with @ least 50 yards. They made their game plan, and executed it.

Highfly, your guys look to be off to a decent start.

There has been some excitement leading into the season this year. Army was in almost every game last year but ball control was a major issue. Lots of injuries at the QB position last year which leads to guys returning with good game experience. DId not expect a win vs Temple but really loved how they ran the ball clean, no dropped pitches or indecisive QB play. Bradshaw at QB struggled last year holding the ball out debating to tuck or pitch, would get hit and lose it. Its only 1 game but nice start for a team that really needs to prove to themselves they can win in the 4th.

After all the close losses last year and an easier schedule, a bowl game is certainly a goal for the season. Winning the CIC, Commander in Chief, trophy is always desired and its been close to 20 years since winning it. Cant win the trophy without THE goal....end the streak and BEAT NAVY! Long way to go before that one, and a fun ride ahead before arriving in Baltimore. They can keep nibbling away at the first goal each week tho.

Return to “General Discussion”