Spring Game reports

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Spring Game reports

Postby billybud » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:26 am

Bring "em on...

FSU...

Attendance 49,500
Place...Orlando

...The young quarterbacks (Francois and Henry) came into their own. Played well and pretty evenly matched. Former starter Sean MaGuire, who played on a broken ankle for three quarters in the bowl and had surgery post season, is still out on injury.

There will be a major QB battle in the August two a days....two highly rated young guns who are very mobile versus a senior who has experience but has concrete feet. Their is an air of optimism around the program following the spring game.

The quarterbacks looked good, the receivers looked good...and the back up running backs ran well (Dalvin Cook is held out for the spring game for a fairly minor shoulder surgery).

The O line is an area of interest...they had some spotty moments...will need improvement in fall.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Spring Game reports

Postby donovan » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:26 am

Was great weather in Boise yesterday. Had over 300 previous players in attendance and celebrated Lyle Smith's 99th birthday...the father of Boise State football. Was a spectacular family day, events to a large extent overshadowing the game.

Attendance; ? I would guess 13,000 Was free admission.

Both the defense and the offense had some very good moments and some errors. All in all, there was a urgency in their playing, so that is good. The highlight was Brett Rypien 20-of-37 for 234 yards, two TDs, 0 INTs

The defense was fast. Their emphasis this spring has been stopping the option fast and early.

Boise uses a format that if the coaches are looking at a specific individual(s) it works well. As an overall game, what is going on in the stands is equally entertaining. I think Boise is well poised for this next year. The roster looks good and with Rypien being a sophomore, there is real potential as Boise is a Quarterback Centered football team.

They score the game...this is the schedule.

Offense

6 Points – Touchdown

3 Points – Field Goal

3 Points – 4th Down Conversion

2 Points – 20-plus-yard Explosive

1 Point – PAT

Defense

6 Points – Touchdown

3 Points – Turnover

3 Points – 4th Down Stop

2 Points – Three-and-out

2 Points – Sack

1 Point – Field Goal Inside Red Zone
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:31 pm

Ohio State's spring game is this coming weekend. It isn't free to get in anymore. They charge $5 to get in and make you watch a lacrosse game. Ohio State only has 6 returning starters so I would expect the spring game to be a little rough. Lots of people will get opportunities to prove themselves. It will be the most question marks the Buckeye's have had on their team since the 2004 season. As far as attendance goes, I will let you know. It can be anywhere between 35 to 90 thousand. Mostly depending on the weather. It is a chance for people who never get a chance to go to the 'Shoe get to experience a game like atmosphere. Lots of children in the stands. Except for the fact that they charge to get in, it is a good time for a practice.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:20 pm

Ohio State's spring game was today. It is hard to tell how good the new players are considering they are mostly new players. Only six returning starters remain from last year's team. They did break their own attendance record with 100,189 people coming to see the scrimmage. I wasn't there, I played golf today.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Swamp Daddy
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Swamp Daddy » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:01 pm

I attended the UL Spring Game for the first time in years. No rain, no cold weather. 16,000+ fans who had fun, Strictly for entertainment with the 1's vs. the 2's. Score was 70+ to 7 in favor of the ones. Hard to judge much from that but a fun time. Lots of gear at cheap prices (like I don't already have enough T-shirts and other junk).

QB Lamar Jackson was heaving them downfield and making connections rather than mostly running as last year. If he can do this in the fall, UL will be a real threat in the ACC this year. So, if I could take away anything from the game it was a big leap in Jackson's reads and making better decisions. UL has the 2nd most returning players in the country -- so maybe we won't have those shaky first games. Time will tell.

have fun, Swamp Daddy
visit: http://thecrunchzone.com/ for news
site moved to: http://cardinalforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1 for discussions

generic university site is: http://www.gocards.com/

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:10 am

Yikes !

70-7? Either the 1's are very, very good, or the Louisville has a big gap between starters and back ups.

At FSU, two captains are appointed and they draft their team. Like taking picks in a schoolyard game. It mixes up the 1's and 2's pretty well.

And then Garnet vs Gold as they play.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Swamp Daddy
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Swamp Daddy » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:34 pm

Hi: I think the spring game was in most ways strictly entertainment for the crowd. I think coach Petrino & staff have already made up their depth chart for the fall camp. Some spring game highlights by the ACC network at the site following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtdJKJQyKMM

I think, based on some local talk shows, the game was designed to help Lamar Jackson learn downfield, way down field, reads and help his timing. Previous spring games under Petrino they switched teams around at the half. Not this time.

As I noted, not sure (other than watching Jackson) you could learn from it.

ex-UK quarterback, Patrick Towles, transferred to Boston College at the end of last year's season; and their spring game this year ended 6-2. Haven't watched it yet but I am sure it's probably on the ACC Digital network.

have fun, Swamp Daddy
visit: http://thecrunchzone.com/ for news
site moved to: http://cardinalforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1 for discussions

generic university site is: http://www.gocards.com/

Return to “General Discussion”