Yes, I'll come --- Hmm No, I won't

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Yes, I'll come --- Hmm No, I won't

Postby donovan » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:59 pm

The decommits and recommits are so rampant, makes you wonder how long schools will put up with this. I am far from a legal expert, I leave that to barrister Billybud and I do not know if a commit is any type of contract. I do know that if a person has a contract it is against the UCC to entice or influence a person to break a contract. So what do the schools tell a committed player to entice them to renege?

I suspect, players say yes so they can have one in the pocket and then when what they see as a better offer comes along, adios. I can see why coaches do not like recruiting.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Yes, I'll come --- Hmm No, I won't

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:47 am

There is no legal commitment until after signing day. Once the signature has been inked, the only way out, is to either start the transfer process, or drop out.

I do recall a story some years back, where a kid no longer wanted to play football. He was the Starting Quarterback for his University. So he quit the Football Team, and join the schools Cheer Leading Squad.

I do not know what sort of arrangement goes into that particular move, however, he did stay with the same school.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:52 am

donovan wrote:The decommits and recommits are so rampant,

To this point, though, I will say, is the reason I stopped posting the recruiting update thread.

I simply could not keep up with, or trust the commitment of the players' cited school.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:50 am

donovan wrote:The decommits and recommits are so rampant, makes you wonder how long schools will put up with this. I am far from a legal expert, I leave that to barrister Billybud and I do not know if a commit is any type of contract. I do know that if a person has a contract it is against the UCC to entice or influence a person to break a contract. So what do the schools tell a committed player to entice them to renege?

I suspect, players say yes so they can have one in the pocket and then when what they see as a better offer comes along, adios. I can see why coaches do not like recruiting.

The schools do the same thing. At least the kids can use the innocence card. can't say the same for the coaches.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

armchairqb
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby armchairqb » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:10 pm

Spence wrote:
donovan wrote:The decommits and recommits are so rampant, makes you wonder how long schools will put up with this. I am far from a legal expert, I leave that to barrister Billybud and I do not know if a commit is any type of contract. I do know that if a person has a contract it is against the UCC to entice or influence a person to break a contract. So what do the schools tell a committed player to entice them to renege?

The schools do the same thing. At least the kids can use the innocence card. can't say the same for the coaches.

True, Spence. If you're Harbaugh, Saban or Meyer, you can overrecruit. Then the school can pull its offer. It happens somewhat in this scenario that there will be a recruiting battle between two or more power schools for a player. Said player commits to a particular school; school pulls offer and the other school(s) previously in the battle have filled their spots; then said player ends up committing to a Group of Five school.
"A complimentary breakfast isn't supposed to make you feel better about yourself." -Captain Obvious

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:39 am

Michigan lost three decommits last week...but sometimes there is more to the story. It goes both ways.

"Rashad Weaver, a two-star defensive end from Cooper City, Florida, announced on Monday that he was informed by Wolverines head coach Jim Harbaugh that there would be a “50/50 chance” the program would have room for him in its 2016 recruiting class."

"Michigan has had a number of decommitments in recent weeks, including one from four-star offensive lineman Erik Swenson. Swenson had been verbally committed to the program since November 2013 (when Brady Hoke was still head coach), but said last week that Harbaugh pulled his offer. However, various reports indicated that the decision to pull Swenson’s offer was not a sudden one."

Some kids who have committed get encouraged, sometimes late in the process, to look eleswhere.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:45 am

“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:37 pm

Like all the other areas in College Football you have to separate the "elite" schools from the rest. The ACC, SEC, Big Ten, PAC 12, Big 12 and KGB don't have to do what all the rest must do to get recruits. That includes all the "lower" levels. The Power 5 pick who they want to go after and start the process. The rest, get in their cars and scour the countryside looking for players that never are on the 'lists'" of stared players. So when a coach from Eastern Washington sees someone from Heppner, OR and says they are interested, the kid in 7th heaven. Cheney, WA looks good compared to Heppner. But the dream of there being an Oregon or Stanford, Ohio State or Florida State is still in his mind. So because the kid has sent a zillion letters to schools, while he was a sophomore, saying he is interested his mailbox is inundated with mail for three years, weekly from these schools. He will get phone calls from some assistant to the assistant's assistant giving his the hang in there with us speech. It goes on and on.

So who represents the kid? His parents...they are clueless to the process. The High School coach...the one coaching at Heppner and teaching Social Studies and Drivers Ed on the weekends.

I will tell you who doesn't represent the high school hopeful...The NCAA.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:41 pm

The very good athletes are pretty savvy. Maybe almost semi-pro.

They have traveled to camps, played in 7 on 7 tournaments..had clips of game films put together and sent to various programs, had recruiting junkets to schools paid for, been wined and dined and have had college staff cooing in their ears for months.

Just because a guy like Amir Rasul had committed to FSU several months ago, doesn't mean he hasn't had his way paid to Alabama and North Carolina within the last two weeks.

Or Keandre Jones, a 5 star LB who committed to Ohio State January 15 and visited the Gators the next week end.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:23 am

And thought Social Darwinism was dead.

Return to “General Discussion”