Favorite/Worst Bowl Games

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

Favorite/Worst Bowl Games

Postby Eric » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:54 pm

My Favorites (excluding playoff games)
---------------------------------------------

1. Alamo Bowl: Oregon vs. TCU

Can you say 1200 total yards of offense and 100 combined points? Sign me up 8) . Adams and Boykin should be completely healthy and this should be one of the better shootouts.

2. Russell Athletic Bowl: North Carolina vs. Baylor

Hopefully Chris Johnson will be good to go for this one; if not, this won't be that competitive. But if he's good to go, this should become a shootout. I know most people don't think highly of Johnson, but he can put up numbers and with a month of preparation, I trust Briles to put something good together.

3. Sun Bowl: Miami vs. Washington State

This is a really interesting matchup. Is this a first-timer? Miami turned their season around and they appear to still be playing for something. Wazzu could be down both Luke Falk and Gabe Marks, but they still have guys who can make plays behind them. Bender was horrid against Washington, but, trust the system. A month of practicing as the starter, he'll be good to go under Leach. Wind is sometimes a factor in El Paso this time of year, so keep an eye on that.

4. Hawaii Bowl: San Diego State vs. Cincinnati

This is another really interesting matchup that might be a first-timer. San Diego State plays really tight defense, especially on the ground. I always make it a point to catch the Hawaii Bowl because then I can escape into daydream-land and it takes my mind away from the tundra of Michigan :lol:

5. Peach Bowl: Florida State vs. Houston

Billybud may hate me for this, but I like this matchup for both teams. FSU, if they show up, should handle Houston, but Houston on a good day can really make a game out of this. They are a lot better than NIU was in 2012. Greg Ward can throw and run and their defense has been solid this season. Stopping Dalvin Cook will make the difference. Just don't let him get loose for 89 yard touchdown runs and they can keep this in striking distance.

6. Bahamas Bowl: Western Michigan vs. Middle Tennessee

I wanted to cut this off at 5, but I had to give an honorable mention to the Bahamas Bowl. Hopefully this game will be as good as the one last year. Western laid a dud in their bowl game last season against Air Force and Middle Tennessee has a history of being snubbed (in 2014 and 2012). This should be a very competitive game on paper. I'll give another honorable mention to the Miami Beach Bowl between Western Kentucky and USF, or the Willie Taggart Bowl.

My Least Favorites
----------------------

1. Texas Bowl: Texas Tech vs. LSU

This is disappointing. The rumors kept pointing towards Texas A&M going here which could have really added a regional rivalry flavor to it. LSU isn't far from Houston, but man, this is the biggest mismatch on paper of the bowl season. No question. You have Leonard Fournette (and Guice and Williams) going up against the worst P5 run defense in the country (probably worse than Kansas'). Nuttier things have happened during bowl season so if they catch a couple of breaks on defense and keep pace scoring, it's within the realm of possibility that they could pull off an upset, but....If LSU shows up and hands the ball off 90% of the time, they win this going away. Fournette could go for 300 if they want him to. The more I reflect on this game though, I could see Mahomes playing a game of his life and turning this into a very exciting contest. Still, that run defense. :shock:

2. Arizona Bowl: Nevada vs. Colorado State

Here's a bowl you could have just deleted! Just send Nevada and Colorado State to two other games and cancel it. You should never, ever, ever, ever, ever have two teams from the same conference play each other in a bowl game. Luckily for these guys, I guess the silver lining could be that they didn't play each other this year. But still, this would be a massive buzzkill for me. This might be the bowl game with the two most disinterested football teams.

3. Idaho Potato Bowl: Akron vs. Utah State

I am extremely excited to see Akron in the postseason again for the first time in a decade, but I was hoping they would go to Detroit. I don't think there's any way they go out West and win this from a Utah State team that has a solid defense. Akron will struggle mightily to move the ball in this one. Akron actually does have the 17th ranked defense in the country, but even as most mid-majors have their stats a little inflated, theirs is extremely so because the offenses in the MAC East are downright awful.

4. New Mexico Bowl: Arizona vs. New Mexico

You can't always count out a team coming in sleepwalking, but I don't see any way Arizona loses this game. This is RichRod's second New Mexico Bowl, so maybe they won't come in focused, but as long as they keep running the ball, they should shred New Mexico. UNM might found some success on the ground if they can hit some big gains on the option, but I don't see it happening. This looks like a mismatch.

5. Pinstripe Bowl: Indiana vs. Duke

In theory, I like the idea of two non-traditional football teams playing it out in a bowl game where someone will walk away with a postseason W, but this one doesn't move the needle for me. Indiana is a little bit better than their record indicates, but this game has usually had a marquee draw in the past. Just based on the names, this feels like a dud.

6. Cure Bowl: San Jose State vs. Georgia State

This matchup is actually really interesting for me, but lets just say I can understand if the general fan doesn't share that enthusiasm. :lol: I like cross-sectional kind of games (a MWC team travels to Florida to play a Sun Belt team that started football in 2010 and went 1-11 last year and also started this season by losing to Charlotte?), but this won't be a very well-played game. Georgia State's M.O. is the passing game and they do have a decent aerial attack, but that happens to really be San Jose State's strength. Georgia State will struggle to contain SJSU's offense in this game IMO. This could be competitive, but it will put a lot of people to sleep.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

armchairqb
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Favorite/Worst Bowl Games

Postby armchairqb » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:11 am

Worst Bowl Matchups:

This matchup gives me a headache, I need a Cure Bowl Saturday, December 19 Georgia State vs San Jose State
Spuds are made in Idaho Bowl Tuesday, December 22 Akron vs Utah State
Quasar Mortgage Arizona Tuesday, December 29 Colorado State vs Nevada
IRSImpaler Bowl Saturday, January 2 Georgia vs Penn State
"A complimentary breakfast isn't supposed to make you feel better about yourself." -Captain Obvious

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:53 am

Let's just say I never thought I would see the day where Georgia State played San Jose State in a bowl game. For college football purists, they can at least be happy that it's the first game to get out of the way :lol:

It will be a competitive game, so if you want to see that.....Well, then it has that going for it. :D
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:06 am

Nevada v Colorado State is by far and away the travesty. College football just dropped kicked the MWC right in the scrotum.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:40 am

Oh how I hate the Houston match up...

A pretty good Houston team excited and wanting to make an impression for possible expansion inclusion in the Big 12.

A disappointed FSU team who had been looking forward to a match with the likes of Notre Dame, Ohio State and once again getting hit with the NIU type game that is a lose-lose game for them. Little fan interest, noon kick off.

Danger, Will Robinson!

T...R...A...P
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:13 am

And...this is just wrong.

Florida, whom FSU and Bama both trounced, is playing Michigan on New Year's day....I don't care whether it is a NY6 bowl or not...FSU would much rather play Michigan in the Gator than Houston in the Peach.

I blame it all on Boise...that is when the concessions to the mid majors started...freekin' Boise. May their potatoes rot and their grass turn green.

rant off.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:37 am

Did I mention how I detest Houston?

I remember the last game, 38 seasons ago in Tallahassee they beat us. When we were both mid majors, Houston fashioned a 12-2-2 record against the Noles. I feel like Marty McFly being sent back in time to meet my earlier self.

At least, I could return to the Peach Bowl a couple of hours south of us. My boy was conceived after a great dinner, a bottle of champagne, and a little celebration in the late evening of the 1983 Peach Bowl win over UNC.

My wife and I will probably watch the game on TV, raise a glass if we are ahead, and twinkle at each other.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:36 am

billybud wrote:And...this is just wrong.

Florida, whom FSU and Bama both trounced, is playing Michigan on New Year's day....I don't care whether it is a NY6 bowl or not...FSU would much rather play Michigan in the Gator than Houston in the Peach.

I blame it all on Boise...that is when the concessions to the mid majors started...freekin' Boise. May their potatoes rot and their grass turn green.

rant off.

:lol:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:23 pm

billybud wrote:And...this is just wrong.

rant off.

Put the blame where it really belongs, on President Obama...never was like this when Teddy Roosevelt was Presidetn....I think I see Mr. Billybud in the stands...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/a-football-life/0ap2000000284889/A-Football-Life-The-Forward-Pass-Teddy-takes-over

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:26 pm

...b ecause I always feel like I am on the defense....let me remind this esteem congregation that it was I, so many years ago, ranted and raved that mid-majors, including Boise should be separated from the self-proclaimed elite. My argument and still is, but the dead horse has long rotted and decayed from continual beating, was if you are going to be invited to the party, you should have a chance to win the door prize...and mid majors never did, until Boise became a burr under the tough hide of my friend.

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:28 pm

Indiana played a lot of teams tough this season. If they can bring that into the bowl game, I see them winning. Honestly, just glancing over the list, there are so many duds. Is it totally right that Florida State was picked for a later bowl over UNC even though UNC won their division and put up a good game against Clemson? Just curious, but that game against Houston is a total lose-lose for the Noles.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:01 pm

donovan wrote:...b ecause I always feel like I am on the defense....let me remind this esteem congregation that it was I, so many years ago, ranted and raved that mid-majors, including Boise should be separated from the self-proclaimed elite. My argument and still is, but the dead horse has long rotted and decayed from continual beating, was if you are going to be invited to the party, you should have a chance to win the door prize...and mid majors never did, until Boise became a burr under the tough hide of my friend.

Back then I didn't agree. I have changed my mind on it. Parity with the teams and the read option have made all teams so much more competitive than in the days of 200 scholarships. Boise State led the way of course, but there have been several teams that should have gotten the chance that didn't.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:21 pm

I agree. I mean when Florida Atlantic barely loses to the SEC East Champs, Florida Gators. Furman beating Virginia Tech, Appalachian State defeating Michigan, Portland State beat Washington State, Georgia Southern over Florida, etc. Now, I know that many of these are FCS programs, and some just joined FBS. But these teams went on the road and beat these "better" teams.

Parity...

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:55 pm

collegefbfan-8898 wrote:Indiana played a lot of teams tough this season. If they can bring that into the bowl game, I see them winning. Honestly, just glancing over the list, there are so many duds. Is it totally right that Florida State was picked for a later bowl over UNC even though UNC won their division and put up a good game against Clemson? Just curious, but that game against Houston is a total lose-lose for the Noles.

I agree...let UNC play Houston....We could swap and play Baylor in the Russell Athletic Bowl in Orlando at the lower tier.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:12 pm

collegefbfan-8898 wrote:I agree. I mean when Florida Atlantic barely loses to the SEC East Champs, Florida Gators. Furman beating Virginia Tech, Appalachian State defeating Michigan, Portland State beat Washington State, Georgia Southern over Florida, etc. Now, I know that many of these are FCS programs, and some just joined FBS. But these teams went on the road and beat these "better" teams.

Parity...

Parity my buttocks....you can cherry pick examples. talk about Moral Victories..but the old BCS teams won over 85% of their games with non BCS teams. And current non P5 teams lose about 84% of their games with P5 teams.

The AAC won 16.6 % of their 2014 and 2015 games against P5 opponents

CUSA went 3-45..less then 1 per cent.

MAC went 16%

MWC went 16%

Return to “General Discussion”