Spurrier Walks - O'Leary Quits as AD - Sark is Canned

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Spurrier Walks - O'Leary Quits as AD - Sark is Canned

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:59 pm

What a day for college coaches.

Earlier it was announce the USC Head Coach Steve Sarkisian had taken a medical leave of absence -- USC Trojans athletic director Pat Haden announced Monday that head football coach Steve Sarkisian has been fired.

Haden's official statement:
"After careful consideration of what is in the best interest of the university and our student-athletes, I have made the decision to terminate Steve Sarkisian, effective immediately.
I want to thank Clay Helton for stepping into the interim head coach role, and I want to add how proud I am of our coaching staff and players and the way they are responding to this difficult situation.
Through all of this we remain concerned for Steve and hope that it will give him the opportunity to focus on his personal well-being."

A source close to Sarkisian says: " "Steve Sarkisian is aware of the termination and is deeply disappointed, but right now his #1 priority is getting himself well. To that end, he has checked himself into a residential treatment facility. He's grateful for all the support that will help him get through this difficult time."

The specific nature of Sarkisian's issues hasn't been officially revealed, the Los Angeles Times' Nathan Fenno and Lindsey Thiry compiled a report Monday that outlined his alleged use of alcohol during his previous head coaching stint at Washington.

I had a feeling the USC guard wanted to get him out anyway. I'm guessing they used this as their opportunity, though, this is just my speculation of course.

---

Spurrier quitting midseason is more of a surprise than his leaving in general. I suppose, sometimes you have to know when to say when.

His teams have been decent these past few years, but he can never quite get over that hump. This season, his team looks a little lost, and I'm willing to bet he knows he's the reason for it. He just doesn't seem to have fire that once drove him, and the team is responding to that dissonance -- it's hard to be a winner when you do not have the fervor that once drove you to success.

Coincidentally, Spurrier came out to clarify; "It's a resignation, not a retirement".

---

George O’Leary is going to step down as Central Florida's interim AD but will continue coaching.

To some, this might come as a bit of a surprise, because O'Leary took the Iterim AD position last year following the departure of Todd Stansbury.

O'Leary was to maintain the interim AD title through December, at which time the university would evaluate his performance and make a decision on his future as AD -- It was O’Leary's preference to step down as head coach so he could take on the AD job on a full-time basis.

A stirring turn of events to say the least, as the UCF Knights are presently 0-6; are far cry from their Fiesta Bowl win in the post 2013 season, over the Baylor Bears.

Clearly O'Leary is incapable of juggling both, the AD & Head Football Coaching Jobs. However, when you are looking to take over as the Full time Athletics Director, while stepping down from your coaching position, something drastic must have occurred to change your mind -- especially when your team is 0-6 -- one would think now is the perfect time to leave the coaching profession for an Administration job.

Well, I hope he can turn things around in Orlando. I hate to see a budding program fall so flat so quickly.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Eric

Re: Spurrier Walks - O'Leary Quits as AD - Sark is Canned

Postby Eric » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:37 am

I think UCF can rebound because they are in a nice spot in a good conference (well, the best of the "group of five" at any rate, which is close to the big-time) with some decent facilities. They're the kind of program that just needs to find the right coach and they'll start winning quickly. O'Leary did a good job overall, but it's very possible that he starts his career there with a winless season and then ends it with a winless season. :shock:

UCF also wasn't all that consistent with O'Leary. They had a handful of double-digit win seasons and then they'd turn around and post a losing season the next time. So they had some ups and downs. I think he's definitely done after this year.

This is going to be a crazy year for the coaching carousel considering we already have a few jobs open. Both USCs plus Maryland and North Texas, possibly Illinois and UCF. And that's just right now. Georgia might move on, Tennessee could move on if they suffer some bad losses, and Arkansas is unlikely but still a possibility. I'm calling this now, but Georgia Tech is going to call it quits on the Paul Johnson experiment, which wasn't really a failure so much as one that got inconsistent results (still, two BCS bowls is pretty solid). Iowa State could move on. Purdue might be a longshot right now, but Darrell Hazell has to be on the hot seat with another miserable season.

And some of the schools on the fence (like a Georgia) might want to clean house to get in on the Chip Kelly sweepstakes. Kelly still has a shot to make the playoffs in the miserable NFC East so he could salvage his season, but I think the management in Philly wants to win big right now and if they don't get that, they're going to can him whether or not he wins 9 games. You can't "make your mark" and call the shots with respect to the roster in the fashion that he has in year 3 and not put a Superbowl contending team on the field and keep your job. So you'd have to figure USC, Georgia, Virginia, Virginia Tech (if Beamer retires), Miami (possible Golden firing), Maryland, Georgia Tech, and South Carolina are going to want to at least put a bid out there on him. He's going to laugh his way to the bank this winter, I can guarantee you that. Kelly is painted as a west coast guy but his roots are in New Hampshire, so I don't think he has to go out West. I'm inclined to say Virginia Tech is the best fit. USC is kind of like Michigan, they want to stay "pro-style" so I don't think they want to mimic Oregon.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:06 pm

The rumors spreading yesterday were, Southern Cal is looking at a possible Chip Kelly or Kevin Sumlin. I don't know that either are legitimate interests for the university, or if it is simply wishful thinking on the part of the casual fan.

As for Miami, yeah, expect that job to be available. The U is not going to fire Golden midseason. They do not want to add more chatter to the grumblings by the impatient. Hoping to keep the team focused, rather than consumed by the distractions.

I was actually going to add Al Golden to the list when I originally posted this thread. But I wanted to keep the initial content to coaches who were going now. I left Maryland (Randy Edsall) & North Texas (Dan McCarney), because the media was basically promoting those vacancies prior to Saturday's games having started.

But, Golden is more or less out the door. The Administration has been saying Golden is the guy, or, we have no plans on going in another direction; even, we have confidence is Al's ability as a coach.

Prior to the game versus FSU on the 10th, when asked about Al Golden's future with the Hurricanes, Miami AD Blake James said: “If you lose tonight, how many games do you have? If you win all the rest of your games? Again, I think you always have to evaluate at the end of the year.”

And that's where we are at the moment. No longer protecting Golden, rather, his progress will be evaluated at the end of this season.

So look for that announcement either prior to the Bowl game, or, pre-post season, if Miami doesn't make a Bowl.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:01 am

Three coaches came in bout the same time in Florida...Jimbo. Muschamp, and Golden.

I thought that at least two of them would get it turned around. And, with Kaaya at QB, I thought this would be the turn around year for Golden. That QB is pretty good.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Two Openings in Florida...

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:58 pm

By now, everyone has heard of Al Golden's release from Miami.

UCF head football coach George O'Leary retired yesterday after the 51-10 loss to Houston, and a 0-8 present season record.

Central Florida Quarterbacks Coach, Danny Barrett, will take over his position on an interim basis.

Miami made this move a season too late, whereas, in my opinion, O'Leary is doing the right thing. 0 wins is 0 wins. And if he doesn't feel as though he has the ability to turn things around, who is anybody to argue with that.

As for Golden, he just wasn't ready for a job like Miami. The move is coming in @ mid season.I don't know what more they can do to salvage the rest of the year at this point -- My guess is, this has to do with keeping a foot on what recruiting progress we've captured this far. Is we get a recognizable enough name, then hopefully commits do not start jumping ship.

Well, in either case, the changes were coming. Just, neither program would have wanted it this soon.

Cane... [__]

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:31 pm

I've only caught two UCF games. I saw where they lost to Furman and I watched quite a bit of last week's game. Their receivers drop a bunch of catchable balls and Holman has no time to set his feet and make easy throws. Their offensive line is terrible. Holman was out for the Furman game though. I think UCF still has potential for a quick turnaround if they just fix these two areas. Like I said in another thread, I think Dino Babers would be a great fit for this team. The reason being I think Payton and Smith could really shine if they got coached up a little, there is a lot of potential there.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:10 pm

I'm thinking Miami may go after Tom Herman. He is a good x's and o's guy and he can recruit.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:58 am

Hard to remember this many coaching jobs available at "name" schools....

Miami, VT, South Carolina, USC, UCF, Minnesota, Maryland, Illinois, Hawaii...did I miss anybody?
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:06 pm

billybud wrote:Hard to remember this many coaching jobs available at "name" schools....

Miami, VT, South Carolina, USC, UCF, Minnesota, Maryland, Illinois, Hawaii...did I miss anybody?

And it's November 2nd. :shock:

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

-- And Now -- Mizzu Too --

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:59 pm

billybud wrote:Hard to remember this many coaching jobs available at "name" schools....

Missouri, as of today:

Gary Pinkel diagnosed with lymphoma, announced his retirement this afternoon when this season ends.

I wish him health, and to make a full recovery.

Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:41 pm

So, to Recap/Update this list, we have ---

Currently:
Hawaii
Illinois
Louisiana-Monroe
Maryland
Miami [FL]
* Minnesota -- interim head coach Tracy Claeys signed a 3 year deal
Missouri
North Texas
South Carolina
UCF
USC
Virginia Tech

On the fringe:
Georgia
LSU
Ole Miss

Cane... [__]

armchairqb
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby armchairqb » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:53 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:So, to Recap/Update this list, we have ---

Currently:
Hawaii
Illinois
Louisiana-Monroe
Maryland
Miami [FL]
* Minnesota -- interim head coach Tracy Claeys signed a 3 year deal
Missouri
North Texas
South Carolina
UCF
USC
Virginia Tech

On the fringe:
Georgia
LSU
Ole Miss

I couldn't have been more wrong about Iowa State likely keeping Paul Rhoads. He will be officially fired after the final regular season game.

At this point, who is to say there won't be more FBS college football head coaching job openings? Which coaching tree will get overplucked this time?

The scuttlebutt is quite legit involving Miles being bought out after this season. I think that's a year too soon, but $$ might have a different opinion.
"A complimentary breakfast isn't supposed to make you feel better about yourself." -Captain Obvious

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:26 am

It is looking bad for the Mad Hatter at LSU....sources say that LSU is looking at Jimbo Fisher..

http://www.nola.com/recruiting/index.ss ... ay_be.html

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:58 am

billybud wrote:It is looking bad for the Mad Hatter at LSU....sources say that LSU is looking at Jimbo Fisher..

http://www.nola.com/recruiting/index.ss ... ay_be.html

More often than not, an heir apparent is not the answer. Do you think Fisher wants a new start and are there disgruntled fans that also want the same?
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:37 am

Fans love Jimbo...some do not like his X's and O's (play calling)....but nobody wants him to go.

Re Jimbo's wants...

...he did coach at LSU for six years, understands the vast resources that an SEC team has, and knows that an LSU doesn't have to have an unblemished season to make it to the play offs. He could make a few more million.

....But, he has a good team coming back, has an ex wife and young kids in Tallahassee, and has the opportunity to follow Bowden as a legend if he stays 30 years.

Return to “General Discussion”