Upset Week

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

Upset Week

Postby Eric » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:56 pm

I think last week is going to be put to shame in terms of upsets. College football has been waiting for a while to find it's week where a bunch of giants go down, and probably the biggest upset so far this season is Arkansas/Auburn. Now, what teams will get beat this go around?

Rutgers @ Navy
I think Rutgers will win, but it is going to be one heck of a battle. Navy's triple option attack will get them key T.O.P. letting the Midshipmen hang in there. Ray Rice will be effective, but not as effective as he has been because Navy wants to make a statement.

2:30 PM Jacksonville State at Mississippi State
MSU is terrible. There is no other way to put it. I like the Gamecocks in this one.

3:30 PM UCLA at #18 Oregon
Eh, a hunch. I feel UCLA has not played their best football yet and will take advantage over a Duck team that will be feeling the hurt from last week's loss. The Bruins may not win, but it will be close anyway. I'll take UCLA though.

3:30 PM #19 Missouri at Texas A&M
Here's one people should look out for. Missouri has still not played anybody even though they won in Lubbock, Texas Tech is just another team in the Big 12 fighting for a bowl game at this point. Kyle Field will be too rough for the Tigers and even though A&M is no good, it will come down to the crowd.

8:00 PM #4 Michigan at Penn State
Uh-oh, Michigan goes into Happy Valley with Hart and Manningham deemed questionable for the game. Guess how Michigan has scored? Running the football and floating passes to Manningham :shock: I'm scared because Grady could not carry the load without Michael Hart. Hart's injury status was the reason Big Blue went 7-5 last year :shock:

8:00 PM #20 Boise State at New Mexico State
Strange stuff happens in the WAC....Watch out Boise! I know NMSU went to Moscow and lost to the Vandals, but if the Aggies can catch a break here or there, considering they are at home, Boise might be in trouble. I know, I know, Boise knocked the snot out of Utah but Ratliff stunk in that game. If he plays better, Utah should win. Louisiana Tech is a terrible team this year, so don't say 55-14 was an impressive victory. I mean, Nicholls State had their way with LT in the first half a couple weeks ago :shock:
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:29 pm

You want to make a bet on the UCLA/Oregon game?

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:46 pm

fluiddude wrote:If you offer me bets that any of the following prove out, I'll take em:

Rutgers beats Navy

UCLA beats Oregon

A&M beats Mizzou

Penn St beats Michigan

8)

Let me think about Rutgers/Navy. I may think about Rutgers here, the rest you are on your own.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:55 pm

Fluiddude...I would pick all of those games the complete opposite of that.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:25 pm

fluiddude wrote:If you offer me bets that any of the following prove out, I'll take em:

Rutgers beats Navy

UCLA beats Oregon

A&M beats Mizzou

Penn St beats Michigan

8)

Everyone read the post again. :wink:

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:31 pm

I like the Jacksonville State pick, Mississippi State is hitting rock bottom right now.

I also agree that NMSU could give Boise a run for their money especially since the game is in Las Cruces but I think the Broncos will actually be able to pull away by the end of the game.

Also I could be wrong but I really think Michigan will beat Penn State simply because the Wolverines will dominate the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.

What does everyone think of Wyoming's chances hosting Utah? I'll be keeping an eye on that one for a potential upset.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:06 pm

Sometimes it just takes reading the whole post. I am guilty of that sometimes, but I got this one from the beginning.

I am thinking seriously about Rutgers/Navy. The sticking point is that I have done pretty good with navy this year and I don't want to bite the hand that feeds. :lol:

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:26 am

Jason G wrote:I like the Jacksonville State pick, Mississippi State is hitting rock bottom right now.

I also agree that NMSU could give Boise a run for their money especially since the game is in Las Cruces but I think the Broncos will actually be able to pull away by the end of the game.

Also I could be wrong but I really think Michigan will beat Penn State simply because the Wolverines will dominate the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.

What does everyone think of Wyoming's chances hosting Utah? I'll be keeping an eye on that one for a potential upset.

Well, Utah has not played well or as good as they can. Getting destroyed by Boise showed that. Wyoming plays great at home and it will be close all game. I like the Utes in a really tight one.

colorado_loves_football

Re: Upset Week

Postby colorado_loves_football » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:04 pm

Eric wrote:I think last week is going to be put to shame in terms of upsets. College football has been waiting for a while to find it's week where a bunch of giants go down, and probably the biggest upset so far this season is Arkansas/Auburn. Now, what teams will get beat this go around?

Rutgers @ Navy
I think Rutgers will win, but it is going to be one heck of a battle. Navy's triple option attack will get them key T.O.P. letting the Midshipmen hang in there. Ray Rice will be effective, but not as effective as he has been because Navy wants to make a statement.

I believe it's Navy's turn to 'shine'. It's been fun while it's lasted, but as the expression goes: "all good things must come to an end". Give Greg Schiavo & Co. credit for putting Rutgers in the national spotlight.

Eric wrote:2:30 PM Jacksonville State at Mississippi State
MSU is terrible. There is no other way to put it. I like the Gamecocks in this one.
I have seen them lose some close games, one to S. Carolina. And, they gave Georgia a game, I'm taking MSU, big!

Eric wrote:3:30 PM UCLA at #18 Oregon
Eh, a hunch. I feel UCLA has not played their best football yet and will take advantage over a Duck team that will be feeling the hurt from last week's loss. The Bruins may not win, but it will be close anyway. I'll take UCLA though.
This would be a 'no-brainer' had Oregon not lost so badly to California, who admittedly played 'over-their-heads'. UCLA lost at Washington, likely ruining their Pac-Ten title hopes. I'll take Oregon.

Eric wrote:3:30 PM #19 Missouri at Texas A&M
Here's one people should look out for. Missouri has still not played anybody even though they won in Lubbock, Texas Tech is just another team in the Big 12 fighting for a bowl game at this point. Kyle Field will be too rough for the Tigers and even though A&M is no good, it will come down to the crowd.
I'm still not 'sold' on Texas A&M. The games they've won have gone down to the wire, as did last week's game, at Kansas (which they won). Missouri won me over, last week, at TTU.

Eric wrote:8:00 PM #4 Michigan at Penn State
Uh-oh, Michigan goes into Happy Valley with Hart and Manningham deemed questionable for the game. Guess how Michigan has scored? Running the football and floating passes to Manningham :shock: I'm scared because Grady could not carry the load without Michael Hart. Hart's injury status was the reason Big Blue went 7-5 last year :shock:
This one should scare people, and for good reason! Penn St. lulls people to sleep. I think this could be a lot closer, and has 'upset' written all over it. That being said, I'm taking Michigan, in a nail-biter.

Eric wrote:8:00 PM #20 Boise State at New Mexico State
Strange stuff happens in the WAC....Watch out Boise! I know NMSU went to Moscow and lost to the Vandals, but if the Aggies can catch a break here or there, considering they are at home, Boise might be in trouble. I know, I know, Boise knocked the snot out of Utah but Ratliff stunk in that game. If he plays better, Utah should win. Louisiana Tech is a terrible team this year, so don't say 55-14 was an impressive victory. I mean, Nicholls State had their way with LT in the first half a couple weeks ago :shock:
The WAC is 'deeper' than many acknowledge. Utah St, won their first WAC game, against Fresno St, 13-12. New Mexico St. with Chance Holbrook at QB has been putting up some 'huge' numbers. Too bad they can't play defense. Boise St, will 'roll' over the Aggies, IMO.

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:28 pm

I'm not sold on A&M either, I think they are a mediocre team. It's just that the Tigers have not been on the road in an environment like Kyle Field, so it will at least be a close ballgame. A&M didn't look impressive at Kansas in the least.

The thing with Mississippi State is that they do not have anything remote of an offense. Jacksonville State isn't a bad 1-AA team, if I recall correctly, and MSU is about at the level of them.

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:04 pm

Fluiddude, I'll pick UCLA to beat Oregon for 100 CFP bucks. What do you say?

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:40 pm

Rutgers /Navy is going to be close. It is pretty much a wash. I was thinking Navy would win, but WTH I'll go with Rutgers for a $100.00. You post it on the wagers thread if you want to take it.

Vileborg
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Vileborg » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:11 pm

I like Navy, their story is appealing, but the simple fact remains Navy hasn't shown they have the defense to stop Rutgers.

UCLA lost it's starting quarterback, making them an unknown quantity, and not one I'd choose over a solid Oregon team.

A&M doesn't have the means to stop Missouri.

Penn St. barely beat a Div 1-AA team, what makes anyone think they can handle Michigan, even without manningham. Happy Valley isnt so Happy at the moment. Last I heard they were using words like Forced Retirement.

Boise St. probably regrets being part of the WAC this year. They are playing some good football though, but saying New Mexico St. can beat them? Pretty reaching in my opinion since they haven't posted a win against a 1-A school yet.

Virginia Tech, and Boston College is a real toss-up. I'm holding my fingers crossed for the Hokies though.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:19 pm

Beamer will get it done against BC. I agree with Michigan/Penn State. Penn State doesn't have a QB, Morelli doesn't check off well and he makes terrible decisions.

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:48 pm

Vileborg wrote:I like Navy, their story is appealing, but the simple fact remains Navy hasn't shown they have the defense to stop Rutgers.

UCLA lost it's starting quarterback, making them an unknown quantity, and not one I'd choose over a solid Oregon team.

A&M doesn't have the means to stop Missouri.

Penn St. barely beat a Div 1-AA team, what makes anyone think they can handle Michigan, even without manningham. Happy Valley isnt so Happy at the moment. Last I heard they were using words like Forced Retirement.

Boise St. probably regrets being part of the WAC this year. They are playing some good football though, but saying New Mexico St. can beat them? Pretty reaching in my opinion since they haven't posted a win against a 1-A school yet.

Virginia Tech, and Boston College is a real toss-up. I'm holding my fingers crossed for the Hokies though.

So you don't think any of these can happen?

I'll restate my cases:

1. Navy can grind it out against Rutgers and it will be a close game. If Rutgers slipped by UNC and only beat Ohio by 17 points, I don't think it will be a cakewalk for Rutgers. They score 31.2 ppg but they got 33 against Illinois and 56 against Howard. Navy is 60th in total defense, so, I'm not totally sure how the game will play out. I think it will be close at least, but I am picking Rutgers, they should just be on the lookout for upset alert.

2. UCLA is a pretty solid team. Cowan was battling Olsen for the starting job so there might not be a huge dropoff. Again, this is just a hunch because a new QB could mean more production from the offense. Maybe Olsen was the wrong guy to go with?

3. Missouri is a little overrated. I think A&M isn't a good team. Missouri has not been tested on the road in an environment like Kyle Field. A&M's home field advantage will at least make this a close ballgame.

4. Penn State was coming off of a tough loss to Notre Dame when they played Youngstown State and they did beat them 30-3. There has to be a game for the healing process to occur, and that's what the game against the Penguins was for. Penn State is a mediocre team, but with Hart not healthy and Manningham injured at Beaver Stadium with those extra couple seconds burned in the memory of Penn State players, you don't think they will come out motivated to play?

5. The WAC is a crazy conference. Stuff like this can happen. NMSU was competitve in losses on the road against UTEP and New Mexico, so they certainly aren't as bad as last year with Chase Holbrook at QB instead of Vincent or Gill. Remember, a 2-9 SJSU team almost beat Boise State in 2004 and a 4-8 Tulsa team almost did the same (lost by 3 points). I think this year's team is very similar to 2004, so I say it is possible.

Return to “General Discussion”