A mea culpa from Maisel

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:22 pm

Eric wrote:Let's look at it this way: who would you take in these matchups?

Ohio State/Florida

Michigan/Tennessee

Iowa/Auburn

Penn State/LSU

Wisconsin/Arkansas

Minnesota/Georgia

Purdue/South Carolina

Michigan State/Alabama

Northwestern/Ole Miss

Indiana/Vanderbilt

Illinois/Kentucky

Now, I would say the SEC has an advantage in all but 2 games. I mean, I don't even think the Big 10 compares.

That's a good analogy. 8)
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:26 pm

Spence wrote:As far as whether the SEC is over-rated, I look at all the major conferences and I can't find one that says I have to beat Tennesse, Alabama, LSU, Auburn, and Georgia in six weeks to win the national championship. Show me one other schedule that rates with this one, because I sure can't find one.

There are some from the SEC that get a little full of themselves when discussing the toughest conference. There are also some from other parts of the country that make themselves SEC haters because of jealousy. Some years the SEC is over-rated, the same goes for everyother conference.

You said it dude. Good points. No need for me to type anymore. 8)
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:16 pm

I think there's a lot of parity this year - a lot of good teams, a lot of fair teams, even a lot of bad teams. It's been difficult to peg down any "great" teams.

I pretty much agree with the argument here that widely goes with the SEC as the best conference this year. Can't had much else to the conversation. Also agree with the opinions on who would win the Big 10/SEC matchups.
"Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:20 pm

There are a couple of teams with great team potential, but no one(maybe Florida) has really proven it yet. No one has dominated, that much is for sure.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:51 pm

We actually have did it every year since 2002. You are just the latest to join in. Most who have been here awhile don't think of the P-10 as the "sisters of the poor". All arguments for and against each conference for "best conference" have been blown up with each passing year. What is true this year isn't true next year. It is an argument that can never be won, unless you just add up the all time numbers and try to do it that way.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:32 am

fluiddude wrote:PS, one thing about the Tenn/Cal game. Several Cal players have said they were a bit shocked and intimidated by the 100,000 plus vol fans

Sorry, I'm a little late on this one, but I understand exactly what the Cal players are talking about. A team better be prepared for the crowd when they travel to Neyland Stadium. It's hugh, loud and the crowd is right on top of you, not at all like the big 'bowl' type stadiums .... and Tennessee plays very fast and good football too. You can't get that darn 'Rocky Top' song out your head for three days either. :lol:

There's a number of venues similar in the SEC and that's just another things that makes that conference so tough.

They can lay that on the coaching staff at Cal for not having them prepared for that. :roll:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:37 am

The crowd is close at the 'Shoe also. It is a lot different in Ohio Stadium compared to the Big House. They get about 5,000 more people, but the noise level in the 'Shoe is 10 times greater.

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:33 pm

Spence, have you heard about the extensions that will be built to the Big House? I think the stadium will be capable of holding 120,000 people.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:09 pm

Eric wrote:Spence, have you heard about the extensions that will be built to the Big House? I think the stadium will be capable of holding 120,000 people.

Yeah, but they will still be 120,00 of the quietest people in CFB. :lol:

Ohio State is looking at adding another 7,000. There isn't anything decided yet. That would be about it for the 'shoe. Anymore and they would have to get into changing the structure and they wouldn't dare do that.

ktffan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: A mea culpa from Maisel

Postby ktffan » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:00 am

fluiddude wrote:Ivan Maisel notes:

"While one (LSU or Florida) had to lose, the one-sided nature of losses by LSU, Georgia and Auburn means the voters -- and I include myself here -- had been suckered in by the SEC's reputation and failed to look at the facts. All of us ignored the league's long list of paycheck nonconference games. Junk food doesn't build strong bones."

Discuss as usual 8)

That's where I've been sitting. The SEC's high rankings have been due to past reputation more than anything. The conference has more than their share of pretty good teams, but most of the teams in the conference are viewed more highly than should be.

Return to “General Discussion”