Sunday Night College Football!

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:22 pm

During this game they keep talking about whether or not a guy from a "mid-major" (aka non-BCS) league should be considered for the Heisman. In my opinion, you MUST consider players from all 1-A schools for the award or create a new reward just for non-BCS players.

I don't think 1-AA guys should be considered (like Steve McNair was at Alcorn State) because they already have their own award in place. I believe that is the Walter Payton Award, but all of 1-A should be in the Heisman race.

I probably should have started a new topic with this post but I guess I'll leave it here and see where it goes.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:31 pm

I don't think that their point was whether or not he can qualify to be a candidate, I think they were asking whether he should be considered based on playing against somewhat weaker competition. I would agree with that had Garrett Wolfe not done so well when he did play against major competition. He didn't though, he played well against everyone and that makes him a candidate in my book.

If last year against Michigan he would have been held to 55 yards and had 69 yards against Ohio State, then I would say his numbers are based on the competition he has played. That isn't the case here. If he played in a Major conference, his numbers may not be what they are, but they he would be a no doubt contender. So he should be now.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:52 pm

I agree, but then there will still be those that will question whether he could do it week in and week out simply because they perceive that he plays against weaker competition than other candidates.

For the record, I actually think there are some pretty decent run defenses in the MAC anyway.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:13 pm

There are some good run defenses in the MAC.

I agree that some would question whether he could do it week in and week out in a major. Maybe, maybe not. All I know is that when he played against major competition he did well. Would Matt Leinart have won the Heisman without Reggie Bush and Dwayne Jarrett and the rest? Would Reggie Bush have won the Heisman without Leinart , White, and Jarrett? Would Archie Griffin had won the second Heisman without Pete Johnson? No one can answer those questions and no one should try. You could qualify what Garrett Wolfe has done if he had been shut down when playing against the big boys, but he wasn't and that has to be the data you use.

Vileborg
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Vileborg » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:15 am

There is this wierd paradox that too many people seem to not understand. The nations top teams have better players. Their offensive line is more likely to open holes. They actually have a fullback to lead block, and on the great teams they'll have other players to take some of the emphasis off you.
I think Wolfe's final total tonight was 162 yards, but it was with no lead blocker, nine in the box, and a less than impressive offensive line.

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:23 am

Yeah, Northern Illinois couldn't block for Garrett and the Miami OH defense wanted to stop him more to make a statement on national TV. A good deal of people who scouted him will knock him for only running for 150+ yards on the 107th ranked defense in the country.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:54 am

I have no idea if he will be able to stand up to the beating of the NFL, but in terms of being a college back, he is impressive. He is a one man wrecking crew. Everyone who plays NIU knows who the need to stop to beat NIU. No one has stopped him yet.

If you look at, say, Ohio State. If you cover Ted Ginn, they have two other recievers and a couple of backs capable of hurting you. NIU has Garrett Wolfe, that is it, stop him and you stop the team. Everyone knows it and he still pops a buck seventy on you. That makes him a Heisman candidate in my book.

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:15 am

NIU can throw it too, they just choose not to do it that much. I could tell that Miami OH was loading the box and playing pretty agressively, so they did a lot of play action and were forced into throwing. Phil Horvath led the nation last year with a 71% completion percentage.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:26 pm

Do you think a reason for that was that teams were throwing 9 guys in the box to stop GW?

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:42 pm

Jason G wrote:During this game they keep talking about whether or not a guy from a "mid-major" (aka non-BCS) league should be considered for the Heisman. In my opinion, you MUST consider players from all 1-A schools for the award or create a new reward just for non-BCS players.
I don't think they should make a distinction, it's I-A football, regardless. I think 'mid-major' is a label. Garrett Wolfe, clearly should be considered for the Heisman, whether or not he wins it, is an entirely different matter. Unfortunately, winning goes hand-in-hand, with the award. There may be a few exceptions, but probably not too many. There is an award, specifically for running backs, the Doak Walker. And, the Heisman is so politicized, it's unlikely he'll be taken seriously, IMO.

Jason G wrote:I don't think 1-AA guys should be considered (like Steve McNair was at Alcorn State) because they already have their own award in place. I believe that is the Walter Payton Award, but all of 1-A should be in the Heisman race.
I know in Division II it's called the Harlon Hill Award. Basically, it's reserved for the best all-around athlete, irrespective of position. QB from Colorado Mines won it, not long ago, and Colorado Mines was 12-0, before losing 70-35 to Pittsburgh St.

Jason G wrote:I probably should have started a new topic with this post but I guess I'll leave it here and see where it goes.
I'ts all good, your postings are always appreciated. I wish you posted more.

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:51 pm

Spence wrote:Do you think a reason for that was that teams were throwing 9 guys in the box to stop GW?

Maybe, maybe not. Horvath is a really good QB, he probably played his worst game against Ohio State earlier this season.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:04 pm

Ohio State put the bull rush on him the whole game. That is why he played his worst game. Ohio State was in position to make plays on Wolfe, they couldn't do it. That is where my opinion comes from.

Vileborg
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Vileborg » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:34 pm

In this past Sundays game, NIU was only spreading two wide receivers, and Miami was bringing their dual safeties up to stop the run, and playing man on the wide receivers. Most of the game Miami had 9 in the box, and he still was able to weave through them.
To Miami's credit, they did manage to get plenty of pressure, often into the back field, and on top of him as he took the handoff.
NIU used him effectively as a decoy a few times. Specifically, a double reverse that most of the Miami defense bit into. They did their best to spread around the plays, but near the end you could see them relying heavily on him to win the game.

Return to “General Discussion”