How many undefeated teams will there be?

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

How many undefeated teams will there be?

Postby Spence » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:36 pm

Undefeated teams:

ACC
Wake Forest

B-12
Missouri

B-East
Rutgers
Louisville
West Virginia

B-10
Ohio State
Michigan

PAC-10

Oregon
Southern Cal.

SEC
Florida
Georgia
Auburn

WAC
Boise St.

You have to figure that Wake Forest gets beat. Missouri has to get by Oklahoma and Nebraska - possible but not likely, West Virginia, Louisville, and Rutgers all play each other so probably one undefeated from the B-East is likely. Ohio State and Michigan play each other so maybe one from the B-10, Oregon and USC play each other so one possiblilty from the PAC-10, Florida, Auburn, and Georgia play each other so one possibility from the SEC, and Boise State should come out of the WAC undefeated and untested.

That is seven possible teams that can finish undefeated. Who has the best chance at finishing the year undefeated? I would say Boise State has the best chance.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:44 pm

I say Boise has the best chance, but I don't think they are going to. There is a lot of football left, and don't be suprised when they slip up on the road to San Jose State, Nevada, or New Mexico State. Chase Holbrook has sparked the Aggie offense very much, and they do have the firepower necessary to hang with Boise State. SJSU isn't a very bad football team as they competed with Washington, beat Stanford, and beat San Diego State. I think they are 3-1 at this point? Nevada will be a tough team to beat in Reno too.

I say Ohio State, USC, and West Virginia finish undefeated. I think WVU gets shafted because Ohio State was #1 all season long, and USC is USC. I don't think that USC is even the best team in the conference, but they get Oregon and Cal in the Colliseum and the offense should be clicking by then. The Pac-10 is a bad conference this season outside of the top 3 teams.

The Louisville/West Virginia game could be a semifinal game for the national title game.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:51 pm

I don't think USC will go undefeated. I think the Winner of the Florida/Auburn game, winner of the WVU/Louisville game, and winner of the Ohio State/Michigan game. Probably two of those six actually make it to be undefeated. I do think Boise State goes through.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:14 am

I think WVU has the best chance to finish the year undefeated. 8)

#1 They are a good team.

#2 The only other "really" good team they play in Louisville, which I think they will win..

So I think their chances are the best.

No one in the SEC will finish undefeated IMO....
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:20 am

That's a very possible scenario, Derek, and I think it will happen. I am backing out of my Louisville prediction because, well, I guess I have just lost confidence in this team all of a sudden. Hunter Cantwell is an average QB. Brohm would be capable of slamming MTSU about 63-17 instead of 44. Cantwell, outside of a segment of the Miami game, hasn't looked all that great. I mean, KSU is a bad team and they could only muster 26 points?

I guess it all depends on whether Brohm is 100%. If he is not 100% healthy, I don't think they can win the game against West Virginia. I hear word is though that he could see some playing time against Cincinnati in week 7. He could be fully recovered by November, and if he is, it should make things tighten up a bit. I guess time will tell.

bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:03 am

west virginia, ohio state, michigan and maybe florida
i don't think auburn will beat florida :P

colorado_loves_football

Re: How many undefeated teams will there be?

Postby colorado_loves_football » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:11 pm

Spence wrote:You have to figure that Wake Forest gets beat. Missouri has to get by Oklahoma and Nebraska - possible but not likely, West Virginia, Louisville, and Rutgers all play each other so probably one undefeated from the B-East is likely. Ohio State and Michigan play each other so maybe one from the B-10, Oregon and USC play each other so one possiblilty from the PAC-10, Florida, Auburn, and Georgia play each other so one possibility from the SEC, and Boise State should come out of the WAC undefeated and untested.

That is seven possible teams that can finish undefeated. Who has the best chance at finishing the year undefeated? I would say Boise State has the best chance.

Call me crazy, I thnk Wake Forest maybe has a 'fair' chance of going undefeated. They are putting the 'hurt' on Clemson, at home, and that should do a lot for their confidence, within conference (that, combined with FSU and Miami, FL both being 'down'). An unlikely proposition.

Missouri, I think wont' be undefeated. Good team, but not BCS material.
Still, I was mostly impressed with how they played Colorado, a team with a lot on the line, was out-HPd. Missouri could easily win the N. Division.

I think the Big East Champion will be undefeated. Both W. Virginia, and Louisville appear to be headed for a 'showdown' of undefeated teams. Lousivlle would appear, on the surface, to have an easier 'road'. If W. Virginia beats Louisville, they will have a legitimate claim, on the NC. Lousiville will have to hope Michigan beats Ohio St, for NC to apply.

Boise St won't be undefeated. As far as I know, they never have been, but came close, 2004. That year, they were 'ignored' by the BCS, but did play a very good Louisville team (#9 overall) in the Liberty Bowl. I think they have a 'fair' chance of making the Fiesta Bowl, this time, but that would require they go through the WAC 'unscathed'. Not likely, IMO.

I don't think USC will be undefeated at season's end, but I do believe they beat Oregon. It's hard for any team to 'replicate' itself, year-after-year. USC, maybe has the best chance of doing it, but a lot of very good teams, stand in their way. Each one, is gunning for them. I believe UCLA finally gets it done, redemption for last seasons' 66-9 blowout.

SEC, I think Florida has a 'fair' chance of going undefeated, assuming they can win, this week against LSU. If they don't, then I guess maybe Georgia, who I believe will be much better with injured QB Joe Tereshinski back. Their win over Colorado, I believe will carry through to an SEC title, if everything keeps falling their way, as it has, so far.

Ohio St, would appear to be the odds-on favorite to win the Big Ten, but it will require beating Michigan, in Ann Arbor. I don't see that happening.
And it's hard for any team to remain #1 and undefeated from the get-go.

All these things point to a W. Virginia vs. Michigan NC. Go ahead and make your reservations now, Mountaineer fans! (tickets sell out fast)

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:17 pm

If I had to pick any undefeated team right now that has the highest chance of getting 8 or fewer victories, it would be Wake Forest. They have played well so far, and it looks like they are going to beat Clemson, but the schedule is littered with teams that are on par or better than Wake. I think Wake will be 8-4 when the season ends.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:05 pm

CLF wrote:Ohio St, would appear to be the odds-on favorite to win the Big Ten, but it will require beating Michigan, in Ann Arbor. I don't see that happening.
And it's hard for any team to remain #1 and undefeated from the get-go.

Ohio State plays Michigan in the Horseshoe. The Buckeyes beat Michigan in Ann Arbor last year.

Return to “General Discussion”