ACC...Parity or Mediocrity??

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:30 pm

I think it's a little bit of both. Most teams in this conference are pretty average.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Vileborg
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Vileborg » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:52 pm

It seems a down year for the ACC. It would seem that Clemson is it's only hope for redemption this year, and I think it's already proven that no ACC team is invincible this year. I'm not even sure there is going to be an ACC team worthy of the BCS at the end of the year. At the present only Clemson seems capable.
The nation seems poised to try to hold the ACC above water this year, but it should be more interested in how many teams in the ACC can escape mediocrity.

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:56 pm

GT might be able to prove something down the stretch, but it was just a perfect storm for a bad season for the conference. What were the odds of Miami having a down year, FSU getting upset twice, VT breaking in a new QB, Virginia being terrible, and NC State getting upset by Southern Miss and Akron?

Most years, stuff like this doesn't happen to the ACC. I don't think it will be this way next season.

Vileborg
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Vileborg » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:11 pm

Virginia Tech may very well be breaking in a new freshman quarterback next year as well.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:50 pm

It's definately a down year for the ACC. IMO, Clemsom and GT seem to be the strongest teams in the conference, with FSU perhaps being unproved yet. I am happy though, that Miami is as bad as Illinois. :lol:
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:59 pm

The difference being that Illinois looks to be improving with the new quarterback. :?
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:27 pm

I think Miami needs a quarterback change. Look what happened to NC State when they switched it up.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:42 pm

Wright doesn't look to be the answer, but you never know. He gets pressured a lot. Sometimes you just need a little time. Even Dan Marino had problems when someone was in his face all day.
Last edited by Spence on Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:59 pm

Coker has to do something. I say give Kirby Freeman a chance because they will at least beat UNC by 3 scores this week. The offense has been pitiful with Kyle Wright under center. Give Freeman a shot and see if he can spark the offense.

Grambling State scored more against Houston than Miami did for goodness sake :roll:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:32 pm

Coker is done. He could win out and he is still done. Miami won't stand for losing. Coker made several recruiting mistakes and they are coming back to haunt him.

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:41 pm

I think 9-3 is the safe haven. I think Miami can live with one "down year" and if he produces the same amount of wins the next year he would get canned.

Of course, I thought the same about Solich and look what happened to him :roll:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:44 pm

I think with the bowl game last year and the bad losses this year, that his goose is already roasting. It may not be cooked yet, but it is certainly in the oven.

Vileborg
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Vileborg » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:46 pm

There has always been a question about Coker. Many say the only reason he won the national title is because of the previous coach. (Butch Davis?) I forget who it was, been too long for a team I don't really follow. Anyway, a lot of Miami fans have claimed he's been running the program into the ground since he took over.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:59 pm

I don't think Coker is a bad game coach, but his recruiting isn't good. He has the world in his back yard and he seems to recruit from recruiting boards instead of actually going out and evaluating talent on his own. If he is evaluating his own talent, he is doing it wrong.

When Wright was recruited to Miami wasn't Booty the other big name QB recruit they were fighting over? It was Wright and someone high profile.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:23 pm

So now with the melee against FIU, do you think he'll get canned for a lack of control? I actually think it is kind of unfair for Coker that the players acted thuggishly. I mean, there's only so much a coach can do, but he can't control his entire team in that kind of ruckus.

Return to “General Discussion”