Pre-Weekend Games

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Pre-Weekend Games

Postby Spence » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:15 pm

donovan wrote:
Cane from the Bend wrote:--- times of course are listed as eastern standard time ---

Thursday, Oct. 30th
7:30 pm #2 Florida State @ #25 Louisville [espn]
7:30 pm Troy @ Georgia Southern [espnU]

Friday, Oct. 31rst
8:00 pm Cincinnati @ Tulane [espn2]
8:00 pm Tulsa @ Memphis [espnU]

A course they are listed in Eastern time.....

Isn't everything?
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:21 pm

I like the blue turf as well. I'm not a fan of the inferno at Eastern Washington tho. That is a lil too much for my liking.

As for the pre-weekend games, I'm excited for this one tonight. I think Louisville gets it done at home. Florida State has risen to the challenge time and again during this run. Special teams could easily decide this one but I think the L'ville offense plays phenomenal keeping the defense rested and on the attack all game. Might be wishful thinking but we've only got about 3 more hours to wait.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:36 pm

highfly24 wrote:I like the blue turf as well. I'm not a fan of the inferno at Eastern Washington tho. That is a lil too much for my liking.

As for the pre-weekend games, I'm excited for this one tonight. I think Louisville gets it done at home. Florida State has risen to the challenge time and again during this run. Special teams could easily decide this one but I think the L'ville offense plays phenomenal keeping the defense rested and on the attack all game. Might be wishful thinking but we've only got about 3 more hours to wait.

I hope both teams play up to the max. There will be a lot of pundits, especially because it is the only game. My opinion, all about Louisville's Secondary. Nothing the defense line can do to shake up Winston. He is oblivious to pressure.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:41 pm

donovan wrote: My opinion, all about Louisville's Secondary. Nothing the defense line can do to shake up Winston. He is oblivious to pressure.

Guess not ...

Pressure up the middle, Winston threw it to the receiver who was covered the best.

INT, leads to a Louisville 14 point lead.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:43 pm

Now he's trying to make up for his last gaff.

Double coverage, INT ... Winston is rattled.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:36 pm

----- Friday, October 30th final Results -----

So, I'm guessing by now, most of the board is aware of the final for this game:
#2 Florida State 42 - #25 Louisville 31

For those interested, Georgia Southern monkey stomped Troy:
Georgia Southern 42 - Troy 10

Cane... [__]

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:24 am

donovan wrote: My opinion, all about Louisville's Secondary. Nothing the defense line can do to shake up Winston. He is oblivious to pressure.

Lot of bad throws in first half, was pressure, but mostly bad throws. Second half, Louisville's secondary just didn't keep up and there was the game.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:40 am

Yes, but in many of those for instances, Louisville sold out, bringing Corner blitzes rather than Line Backers, leaving the safeties with too much coverage to account for.

Some of that, was the type of Corner blitz design, where the corners tried to run through than gaps in the line --- I don't know what the idea here was; maybe they assumed the Corners wouldn't get to Winston on time if they Blitzed from the outside --- but by bringing them on a cross assignment up the middle, allowed Winston to see the pressure coming, and get the ball to the open receivers.

Maybe, also, they were hoping to create indecision or erratic throws from Winston (trying to cause more mistakes like those from the first half)--- but after the first one didn't work in their favor, Louisville kept using it.

Then FSU's running game started to gain steam.

When that happened, the Cardinals were reduced to all offense. And they couldn't get the ball rolling again.

Cane... [__]

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:58 am

FSU went to a shotgun hurry up the second half....a lot of four receiver sets.

They also put in three true freshmen who accounted for four TD's. Took out the big back who was slow hitting holes and put in true freshman Cook, who blazed into the secondary.

The FSU defense was hurting...injuries left no scholarship linebackers when RS freshman Matt Thomas went out...adjustments at the half, along with moving a freshman safety into LB, slowed down Louisville's run attack.

Everyone talks about Winston...but it was the defense holding Louisville to 1-11 on third downs, stopping them on downs on first and goal from the four, that won the game.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:41 am

Yep, Louisville scored 14 on FSU mistakes in the first half. Otherwise, the game was a tie going into the break.

Then, the `noles held Louisville to 10 points the rest of the way. The score vs score ratio was too much for the Cardinals, especially when their receivers started dropping the intermediate crossing routes.

FSU's receivers got hot in the second half, where, Louisville's went away.

Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:14 pm

--- times below are listed as eastern standard time ---

Tonight
Wednesday, Nov. 5
8:00 pm Northern Illinois at Ball State [espn2]
8:00 pm Buffalo at Ohio [espnU]

Tomorrow Night
Friday, Nov. 6
7:30 pm #21 Clemson @ Wake Forest [espn]

Friday, Nov. 7
7:30 pm Memphis @ Temple [espnU]
8:00 pm Utah State @ Wyoming [espn2]

(second Friday Night game in a row for Memphis)

--- results from last night's games ---

Bowling Green 27 -- Akron 10
Toledo 30 -- Kent State 20

--- update: results from Wednesday, Nov. 5th ---

Ohio 37 -- Buffalo 14
Northern Illinois 35 -- Ball State 21

Cane... [__]

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:24 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:8:00 pm Northern Illinois at Ball State [espn2]

Funny things happen on Tues and Weds night football. NIU first got up 14 and it looked over but the Ball State scored quick and got a turnover that stopped the next NIU drive. But then Ball State acted like there was only 2 mins left instead of over 5. The play calling after that turnover was baffling. 3 throws, 2 at least 20 yards down field, and the third was picked. NIU went down to score and seal the game. NIU was the better team but there was plenty of time to mix in a run or quick throws. They had some success 2nd half with those plays. The Toledo/NIU game should be some good MACtion to watch.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:04 pm

I guess you have to live in Ohio (or at least the Midwest) to watch the MAC....

But then again, I'm not sure how many westerners keep up with UAB, Troy, Georgia Southern and the like
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:33 pm

billybud wrote:I guess you have to live in Ohio (or at least the Midwest) to watch the MAC....

But then again, I'm not sure how many westerners keep up with UAB, Troy, Georgia Southern and the like

It's basically the same. There are several MAC schools In Ohio and so we pay attention to them here. Several of the schools, like Miami (OH) have long and rich traditions, not like Ohio State or any top tier schools but Miami is called the cradle of coaches because of the long tradition of successful coaches that started there.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:29 am

--- results from Thursday Night ---

Clemson 34 -- Wake Forest 20

--- results from Friday Night ---

Memphis 16 -- Temple 13
Utah State 20 -- Wyoming 3

Cane... [__]

Return to “General Discussion”