Greatest college football team of all time

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:28 am

Leo...we did that one a while back...

How about the great "Iron Men of Sewanee" on their great road trip...In six days Sewanee beat Texas, Texas A&M, Tulane, LSU and Ole Miss. On the seventh day, they rested."

Or early Georgia Tech...their outlandish score of 222-0 over Cumberland or their defeat of LSU, Alabama, and Tulane in a five day period.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:25 pm

Billybud...I wish I could have been there to see Georgia Tech beat Cumberland 222-0. That took place early 1900's didn't it? There must have been a score or a turnover on almost every play of the game.

As for the best team ever...well that is just a crazy debate. How do you compare a team from 1920 to a team from 1990. The game has changed so much each decade. Players continue to get bigger, stronger, and faster. Many rules have changed over the years. Style of play has changed drastically....the option used to be the offense of choice by most teams...know you see big play after big play. Hard to tell. I also think in todays football that the competition is better across the board from top to bottom.

Look at what the 1964 Arkansas Razrobacks did: (had a five game stretch were they gave up 0 points and scored 126 points in that 5 game stretch...they finished 11-0 with a Cotton Bowl victory...they also beat Texas in Austin and Nebraska in the Cotton Bowl...they also had three more games where they gave up 7 or fewer points...pretty good year). I am not saying it was the best team ever...but not too shaby.
Wk 1 No Game
(0-0)
Wk 2 Sat 19 Sep W Oklahoma St 14- 10
(1-0)
Wk 3 Sat 26 Sep W Tulsa 31- 22
(2-0)
Wk 4 Sat 3 Oct W at TCU 29- 6
(3-0)
Wk 5 Sat 10 Oct W Baylor 17- 6
(4-0)
Wk 6 Sat 17 Oct W at Texas 14- 13
(5-0)
Wk 7 Sat 24 Oct W Wichita St 17- 0
(6-0)
Wk 8 Sat 31 Oct W at Texas A&M 17- 0
(7-0)
Wk 9 Sat 7 Nov W Rice 21- 0
(8-0)
Wk 10 Sat 14 Nov W SMU 44- 0
(9-0)
Wk 11 Sat 21 Nov W at Texas Tech 17- 0
(10-0)
Cotton Fri 1 Jan W vs Nebraska 10- 7
(11-0)
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:43 pm

Im going to have to agree with the ESPN poll, as stupid as it was because they were in their USC is god mode... :roll:

But I think the best team, for a single year, in the last 10-20 years is probably the 2000 Hurricanes, or was it 2001?? :lol:
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:51 pm

"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:39 am

The great Nebraska team of 1995 was one of the best...12-0 and National Champs....beat Florida 62-24 in the Fiesta to take the NC..

The Huskers put up 40 or more points against 10 of their 12 opponents and 50 or more points against six of their opponents, and 60 or more points against three of their opponents. A juggernaut.

My sentimental favorite is the 1993 Noles...National Champs...4 shut outs and 7 opponents held to a TD or less....8 games with 40 or more points scored.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:35 pm

billybud wrote:Leo...we did that one a while back...

How about the great "Iron Men of Sewanee" on their great road trip...In six days Sewanee beat Texas, Texas A&M, Tulane, LSU and Ole Miss. On the seventh day, they rested."

Or early Georgia Tech...their outlandish score of 222-0 over Cumberland or their defeat of LSU, Alabama, and Tulane in a five day period.
Actually that's something that should stand the test of time, given the circumstances, and it's something that will never be replicated (Tulane University, at the time was VERY good! You guys laugh, Tulane was one of the better teams, turn of the century.

I think it's ridiculous to compare teams of any era. For one thing the approach to the game has changed, dramatically. Some of the best teams in the '40s were Army. Texas was outstanding, 1962 or thereabouts. Bear Bryant's Alabama teams are always mentioned among the 'all time' greats, as they probably should be.

When Miami, FL beat Nebraska, 1983, Nebraska was being touted as one of the 'all time' greats, and for good reason! Turner Gill, as I recall was a very good QB. It (Orange Bowl) was one of the greatest upsets in the history of the sport. And it put Miami, FL squarely on the map, where they've remained, until now. Alabama's win over Miami, FL in the 1992 Sugar Bowl, was another game I believe had historical significance. And, it re-established the Crimson Tide, as a perennial champion.

When Colorado beat Notre Dame, 1991, I think it gave Colorado credibility it hadn't had prior to that time. Anytime you can beat ND, especially in a 'championship' pairing, you have accomplished something.
It's one 'barometer' between separating the 'men' from the 'boys'. If I had to pick a team as 'greatest' of all time, it would be Notre Dame.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:07 pm

It isn't in the past. Texas is the national champion until at least the end of the year.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:59 pm

Leo, question.....

Wasnt the GA team that year the only team that scored those points??

We went 10-1 the year Tenn won the national championship I believe.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:45 pm

Leo The Lip wrote:Right on Derek. I think that score was fairly close. I am not a University of the South (or Sewanee) fan per se, I just want to give them credit for the greatest season by a team ever; thus I gave them the title of the best team of all time.

And, oh yeh, the SEC is the best conference of all time!

Wurd!! 8) :lol:

- John Madden

ktffan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ktffan » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:41 pm

1899 Sewenee:

Code: Select all

H   1899????   Rhodes         54-0   W   (5-2-1)
H   1899????   Cumberland   71-0   W   (0-2-0)
N   18991021   Georgia         12-0   W   (2-3-1)
V   18991023   Georgia Tech   32-0*   W   (0-5-0)
H   18991028   Tennessee    46-0   W   (6-2-0)
V   18991109   Texas           12-0   W   (6-2-0)
V   18991110   Texas A&M    10-0   W   (4-2-0)
V   18991111   Tulane           23-0   W   (0-6-1)
V   18991113   LSU              34-0   W   (1-4-0)
N   18991114   Mississippi     12-0   W   (3-4-0)
N   18991130   Auburn          11-10   W   (3-1-1)
N   18991202   North Carolina   5-0   W   (7-3-1)

*-GT lists a 30-0 score.

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:56 pm

Hey! ktffan, welcome back! :D
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

ktffan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ktffan » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:40 pm

Eric wrote:Hey! ktffan, welcome back! :D

Just a drive by.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:48 pm

Good to hear from you, ktffan. 8)

What's your take on the season so far? How do you see the remainder of the season playing out?

By the way, if this is a drive by in the colloquial sense ...... shoot Spence. :lol: :D :lol:

ktffan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ktffan » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:58 am

mountainman wrote:Good to hear from you, ktffan. 8)

What's your take on the season so far? How do you see the remainder of the season playing out?

By the way, if this is a drive by in the colloquial sense ...... shoot Spence. :lol: :D :lol:

Predictions and analysis is not my forte. Where I'm extremely strong is history. My highlight for this year was predicting Auburn's and Georgia's time was up last week. Michigan looks really strong, as does Ohio State. Florida has begun to make a believer out of me, Louisville as well and West Virginia might be strong.

The Big East appears to have picked up, which considering, was not hard, but it could be decent. We'll know more in a couple of weeks.

Sagarin still sucks.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:08 pm

For sure, your prowess when it comes to the history of the game and the things that surround the game is outstanding. It has proven to be enlightening and brings value to the various perspectives found on forums such as this. :wink:

I agree there are a number of good teams worthy of being considered as contenders this season ...... that keeps things more interesting. Of course there are some pretenders out there too. :lol:

The Big East is performing well, and while Louisville and West Virginia are the marquee teams, the road to the National Title Game will be tough for either team.

The primary reason I say that is the computer portion of the BCS Rankings factor in Strength of Schedule, which they should, and neither the Cardinals or the Mountaineers have highly ranked teams on their schedule besides each other.

Both, I expect, will have to be ranked very high by the human polls that make up the remaining portion of the BCS Rankings to overcome what I believe is going to be poor computer rankings.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see how the season plays out and see if the 'people polls' can provide enough to overcome what I anticipate to be poor computer rankings.

As far as your position on Sagarin is concerned ....... you're a trip, ktffan. :lol: :D :lol:

Enjoy, and stop by and see us every so often. 8)

Return to “General Discussion”