The Charlie Strong Chronicles...

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

The Charlie Strong Chronicles...

Postby Yeofoot » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:54 pm

I think we're at 7 players in 48 hours so far.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... ayers-team

Two of them deserve the prison they will rot in. Hopefully they get some of that lovin in there they have coming their way. Charlie Strong's quote makes me proud to have him as a coach "...It's been made clear to everyone on our team that treating women with respect is one of our core values..."

I was a huge fan of Jalen Overstreet and Joe Bergeron. They ran really tough every time they touched the ball. Someone will pick them up and have a great RB on their hands.

Overall, this is exactly why Texas hired Strong, and why I'm a fan. I think the Texas players are not going to see breaking rules as an option. For now, I'm scared to open ESPN.com or Twitter...not been a good 48 hours for Texas fans.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Charlie Strong Chronicles...

Postby Derek » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:09 pm

That's exactly how many Dawg players have been arrested in the off-season.

I really respect coaches that do stuff like this. Discipline is key.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:19 pm

I do too. It takes a coach very committed to doing the right thing to do it. Strong can come in and set the tone right now with little risk. In a couple of years, though, they will expect him to win and the if Strong hold to these principles then I applaud him.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:26 pm

I hope he succeeds. Too many did not, e.g. Willingham.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Swamp Daddy
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Swamp Daddy » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:48 pm

Strong will do alright if he gets4+ years there. Texas is meat grinder if you don't meet their delusional standards including having tons of 3- 5 Star local "Texas" players on the team. In state, I hear Texas A&M is killing strong on recruiting. Time will tell.

He isn't much for the publicitiy routing that will be required of him. He flunked that area in Louisville too.

Swamp Daddy :wink:
visit: http://thecrunchzone.com/ for news
site moved to: http://cardinalforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1 for discussions

generic university site is: http://www.gocards.com/

Vileborg
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Vileborg » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:53 am

Great coach. Not sure he fits the mold for Texas. It'll be interesting to see if the mold rejects him or if he breaks the mold. I don't see him compromising with them.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:51 pm

Yeah, you sign guys for 10+ years that has the whole world telling them how great they are, then all of a sudden you have a culture of "entitlement." Win or lose, I think the Charlie Strong era will break the "soft" reputation Texas has had. Obviously, I'm rooting for him!

Anybody know what happened to Major Applewhite? All I can find is that he took a 1 year severance package from Texas when Strong came on.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:13 pm

Strong, at Florida, had hard nosed defenses who ranked highly on defensive stats...at Louisville last year, he had the #2 Scoring Defense.

I think we will see Texas get scrappy on defense...you either play like your hair is on fire or Strong will send you to the end of the bench.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:40 pm

Starting QB and Center are out...the starting line has a combined 5 starts going into BYU. Expectations are pretty low, but the defense HAS to be better than they were last year!

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:15 pm

IMO, if they give Strong 5 years he will have the Horns in the NC game. And I think he will get that time.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:49 am

Fortunately expectations will be very low this season, so he'll be fine with an 8 win season as long as he wins or is within 2 tds of OU.

I know it was only North Texas, but that Defense looks real mean and nasty. Jordan Hicks was supposed to be the Poster Boy of the Texas D since he signed with Texas out of Ohio, and he might actually have a Derek Johnsonish year this year.

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:48 pm

Yes, the guys here seem to have level heads about this season. Strong has the mop and broom out...he has to get plenty of slack this season and a little next season IMO.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:02 am

Strong has made people in this area have interest and respect for Texas, something that has been lacking in this area for a long time. Strong will have other people tooting their horn, not just the self aggrandizement we have heard for so long.

Should be a good game today, we will see if BYU is tough and can play all four quarters. I have made a quasi promise to Mrs. Donovan that I will say nice thing about BYU and support them.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Return to “General Discussion”