Here is a new topic! CFB attendance.

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
GoBoilers
Head Coach
Head Coach

Here is a new topic! CFB attendance.

Postby GoBoilers » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:07 pm

The preceding statements are solely the opinion of GoBoilers and are, therefore, probably not based whatsoever on fact, research or more time in thought than what was required to physically type them. They're probably correct anyway, so you shouldn't argue too much, because otherwise he'll just blather on forever. On the internet Al Gore invented.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Here is a new topic! CFB attendance.

Postby Spence » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:57 pm

I don't get that at all. Yes you can stay home and get a better view of the game - well at least the ball. You can see things in person that you don't see on tv. It is lots easier to see what the defense is doing ---or not doing. But for students it is that atmosphere. You can't replicate the game day experience on TV. I think it is a sign of the times. Who would really expect kids of the text message generation would want to go outside and be part of something over staying home and tweeting about it. Kids today would rather text each other - even in the same room as the people they are texting - than look up and say "hi". I don't get it.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:36 am

I'm with Spence.

I have gone to games for 40 years...Now my son goes and I watch football on the big screen.

Why?

...the football watching experience is much improved with HD and huge screens
...the convenience of TV watching is unmatched..no parking, hiking, lines at the concessions or bathroom door
...you can see much more football...watch other games

If I, who live across town from the stadium, find TV so convenient and enjoyable, I imagine that those who have to travel a few hours, purchase expensive rooms with a two night minimum, and pay $1,000 bucks for the season tickets, might also turn to TV rather then watch at the game.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:06 pm

I like going to the games better. I guarantee that if I were a student I would go to all the home games. I get the staying home thing, especially post season, but the game day experience is better IMO.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:21 pm

Sure it is...for what it is...

I just take back my tickets when Miami, Florida, or Clemson comes to town..I get my yearly fix and now can watch on TV.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:01 pm

billybud wrote:Sure it is...for what it is...

I just take back my tickets when Miami, Florida, or Clemson comes to town..I get my yearly fix and now can watch on TV.

I agree for us. I don't understand for the students. If I'm a student and there is a game..........I'm there.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:15 pm

Maybe...At FSU, they check purses, frisk you at the turnstiles...alcohol is confiscated.

Many students party outside, watch the TV's, raise hell and do what students do.....

When I was 36, they took my boot flask when I thought that I had it made...never tried to sneak in booze again.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:13 am

I can tailgate before and party after. I think I could get by the 3 hours during the game without having a drink. I don't get the students not going. Especially when they have already bought the tickets. It doesn't make sense to me. I still go to high school games.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:48 pm

I am in above categories. One think different is they charge students to get into the game. Back in the days of yore, you had a studentbody card and if you were one of the first how many ever, you got a ticket. Basketball was a little harder because of seating, baseball...just go sit in the stand. I don't get today's students....but I am sure they don't get us.

Like Spence, I go to high school games. Did not go to that many this year, but go and for five or ten bucks, sit with the parents that are regulars and listen to them rant and rave, cheer and be sad. You see some good ball and not so good....just like college and if it is a nice fall evening, it is fun.

College I found myself not wanting to spend the entire day for one game and traveling needs to be something I just want to do, mostly this last year on a whim. What I miss not being there in person is the Star Spangled Banner and the half time show. I miss watching the sidelines trying to guess what the coach is going to do the next play before the current on is finished. Like zeroing in on one official to see what he does, especially if there has been the business given in previous plays....TV just doesn't cut it on those things. But I like being at home and Mrs D being there and making popcorn, watching a little and when it is unwatchable going and doing whatever it is she does. I like being warm and watching a couple of games....just one set, but I can just press the button. I see less and less of my going in person. Frankly cost is a factor. I can use the money in a lot more meaningful ways. I do wish the NC was not the driving force for what is on TV, but that's the system so I have broadened the teams I root for. Like others have mentioned, I find myself wanting teams represented on this board to win when normally I would have not cared. That is a good thing, for me.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Return to “General Discussion”