Florida State v Auburn

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Florida State v Auburn

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:25 am

Eric wrote:Yeah I would have to say that tonight and the Iron Bowl were the only two games where I watched the finish out of my seat due to anxiety.

I haven't been out of my seat since 2002. :lol: It was a great game. After the fake Florida State got the momentum. I think they may have lost the game had Fisher not called that fake. He changed the game right there. He proved his salt tonight.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:32 am

1....The pundits have been saying that FSU has only had to play only one half all year...looks like they did it again tonight..LOL.

2...That last minute tested my heart...reckon I do not have a heart problem.

3...So much for that not coming back in the 4th and handling diversity,

4...FSU, tonight, set the FBS record for points scored in a season.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:34 am

FSU showed a lot of heart tonight. Congrats and I'm glad you don't have heart problems. :lol:

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:36 am

Would you believe that FSU actually had more yards per carry then Auburn?

It was Auburn's passing game that caused me to jump up and down in frustration...

And Winston? That freshmen kid was cool at the end...
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Brian Roastbeef
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Brian Roastbeef » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:39 am

Great game. All too often we've had to deal with anti-climactic one sided championship games, but this was an excellent end to the season.

And now that Syracuse is in the ACC I can like the fact that the championship was brought to our conference. Well-earned for Florida State too. They played tough on the few occasions when pressed and absolutely stomped the weaker portions of their schedule.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:50 am

And...that fake punt call by jimbo was a turning point...gutsy call

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:53 am

billybud wrote:And...that fake punt call by jimbo was a turning point...gutsy call

It turned the tide. I'm not sure FSU wins without that play. The runback in the forth quarter was huge as well.

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:02 am

Spence wrote:
billybud wrote:And...that fake punt call by jimbo was a turning point...gutsy call

It turned the tide. I'm not sure FSU wins without that play. The runback in the forth quarter was huge as well.

Well, as only analysis from ESPN can provide, the team that makes the most big plays will be the one that wins :lol:
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:33 am

An interesting side note..

FSU went from not being tested all year to becoming the only team of the BCS era to win the NC game while coming from behind at the half.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:39 am

Fisher must have spoken at half-time and the players listen. Suspect it was entirely motivational, refocusing and they were inspired and motivated to come out a different team. Very powerful.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:53 am

Actually...FSU changed signaling....hid signals, behind towels, from the Auburn bench....used a dummy signaller.

All of a sudden, FSU's offense improved. Speculation is that Auburn assistant Dameyune Craig (who was FSU's QB coach last year) had the signals down.

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:42 pm

billybud wrote:Actually...FSU changed signaling....hid signals, behind towels, from the Auburn bench....used a dummy signaller.

All of a sudden, FSU's offense improved. Speculation is that Auburn assistant Dameyune Craig (who was FSU's QB coach last year) had the signals down.

I suspected that when, I believe it was the 3rd quarter, you saw a player cover Jimbo Fisher with a towel.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:39 pm

billybud wrote:Actually...FSU changed signaling....hid signals, behind towels, from the Auburn bench....used a dummy signaller.

Giving Auburn way too much credit...but I like a good conspiracy story.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:49 pm

Oh...it is more then a conspiracy theory. FSU addressed the playbook and signaling at halftime.

Changed the method of signaling and hid Fisher when he called it out....

When your QB coach moves to the other side of the field, he knows your playbook, he knows your plays, terminology and signaling. FSU guys thought that the Auburn defense seemed perfectly dialed in...and not so after the changes were made.

Fisher has said that he thought that Auburn knew the fake punt was coming but he had to call it anyway as a measure to change momentum.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:06 pm

I don't know about any of the signal stealing, but I think the fake punt and the punt returned are the two things that led to the Florida State victory. I would find it surprising that Jimbo Fisher wouldn't change the signals so the former QB coach wouldn't be able to steal them. He knew he would be there. That had to come up in a meeting.

Aside from the things mentioned above, the Auburn QB making some bad reads of the DE cost them on a few drives in the second half and also the interception. Big mistakes that cost Auburn the game. At the end of the day, though, Florida State picked themselves up after a bad 3/4 of the first half and to full advantage of the Auburn mistakes to win the game. Auburn belonged in the game, even though some of us (me) really didn't think they did. It was a great game. Better than most of us thought it would be.

Return to “General Discussion”