New Year's Bowls

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

New Year's Bowls

Postby Eric » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:03 pm

I'm enjoying all of the games on right now except for the Iowa/LSU one. That could change, but LSU looks to be in control there. Nebraska's rushing game is finding success and they've held Georgia to three field goals. I've gotten used to Bo Pelini defenses evaporating in clutch situations, but they're hanging in there today. The Wisky/USCeast game is intriguing and, while they certainly belong on the same field, South Carolina's receivers are proving to be a huge mismatch for the Badger secondary. Wisconsin is missing tackles up the wazoo and they're letting the receivers get wide open. Guys like Ellington and Roland et al are so athletic that they're hard to cover for anybody.

Also, nobody talks about Connor Shaw as being one of the best quarterbacks in the entire nation. I would never want to gameplan against this guy. He is a handful. He's only thrown one INT all year long which is crazy.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: New Year's Bowls

Postby RazorHawk » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:31 pm

Iowa appears to be totally over matched, and lucky to be only down 14-0 at halftime.
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:33 pm

Iowa can still climb back into this one. I didn't think they could be this close at half.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:34 pm

If anybody is watching the Heart of Dallas Bowl on ESPNU, I have to say North Texas' lids are pretty awesome 8)

North Texas might be starting to pull away. Up by 7 and the ball in the red zone. Dan McCarney has been awesome with this team. They have one of the better non-BCS defenses in the country.

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:36 pm

Eric wrote:If anybody is watching the Heart of Dallas Bowl on ESPNU, I have to say North Texas' lids are pretty awesome 8)

North Texas might be starting to pull away. Up by 7 and the ball in the red zone. Dan McCarney has been awesome with this team. They have one of the better non-BCS defenses in the country.

I thought Dan McCarney (former Hawkeye) did a very good job as Head Coach at Iowa St and they should never have fired him.

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:44 pm

RazorHawk wrote:
Eric wrote:If anybody is watching the Heart of Dallas Bowl on ESPNU, I have to say North Texas' lids are pretty awesome 8)

I thought Dan McCarney (former Hawkeye) did a very good job as Head Coach at Iowa St and they should never have fired him.

I think you're right. Iowa State is a tough place to win and it's not like Paul Rhoads is doing any better. They sustained some success under McCarney.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:30 pm

You have to give coach Dino props in the Rose Bowl. That was a good game no matter which team won. It was worth the price of admission. I think it was the best game of the bowl season to date.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:46 pm

Rose Bowl game was fun to watch...some of Stanford's playcalling late in the 4th surprised me....

LSU-Iowa....neither looked good....
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Old Ducker
All-American
All-American

Postby Old Ducker » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:55 pm

Stanfurd is a team built for the sole purpose of defeating Oregon. I am so happy for Sparty, and I am so happy that 10th yr. senior Shane Skov goes out as a loser.
The artist formerly known as Fluiddude

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:24 am

billybud wrote:Rose Bowl game was fun to watch...some of Stanford's playcalling late in the 4th surprised me....

Pretty much agree, but LSU is a much better team than Iowa. They were playing with a Freshman QB, that had almost no experience. With Mettenberger, they probably win by 21 points. LSU is a very good team, possibly the second best in the SEC, behind Alabama.

On the SEC, Florida St got a huge break when Auburn lucked out to beat Bama.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:16 am

RazorHawk wrote:
billybud wrote:Rose Bowl game was fun to watch...some of Stanford's playcalling late in the 4th surprised me....

Pretty much agree, but LSU is a much better team than Iowa. They were playing with a Freshman QB, that had almost no experience. With Mettenberger, they probably win by 21 points. LSU is a very good team, possibly the second best in the SEC, behind Alabama.

On the SEC, Florida St got a huge break when Auburn lucked out to beat Bama.

I agree, the game would have been FSU v Bama. But Auburn won and this season's work entitles them to play. Can you think of a more expensive trip for fans of both teams than to travel 3000 miles...?
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:29 pm

RazorHawk wrote:Pretty much agree, but LSU is a much better team than Iowa. They were playing with a Freshman QB, that had almost no experience. With Mettenberger, they probably win by 21 points.

Michigan State won the Rose Bowl with a QB who got his first start in that game.

RazorHawk wrote: LSU is a very good team, possibly the second best in the SEC, behind Alabama.

LSU is a good team, for the most part. But I watched the games this year, and saw chinks in both Alabama's & LSU's armor.

The feeling of dominance is becoming noticeably depreciable, and I think that can be expected. Conference power has always gone around in cycles.

The Big 12 was considered untouchable at the flip of the millennium. They had stalwart defenses who were stingy and let very few points scored against them; and had tidal wave offenses who would crushed you under the pressure, suffocating you until you had no fight left.

Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska, even Colorado before their scandal torn them down --- The Big XII lost its edge, and in its place, the SEC took over.

The difference here, is that the SEC caught on at good time as a conference. Whereas Tennessee & florida were dominating for years, the rest of the SEC started to build just as these two schools were losing their momentum.

First florida fell off a bit under Zook; then Tennessee under the indecisiveness of Fulmer to choose only one QB and stick with him ... Georgia was always there, somewhere, just couldn't get over that hump.

Then LSU became a strong program with Saban, continuing on with Miles; as florida picked it back up with the acquisition of Meyer.

Of course, florida has faded back to less than worthwhile; though the rest of the SEC has come to a somewhat parity. Which is about the same thing that happened to the Big Twelve.

First Kansas State had become strong, then a couple of up and down years with Kansas (who is terrible now). Missouri had a few good years up there, reaching a #2 BCS ranking as a Big XII member. Colorado tumbled, but Oklahoma State rose up. Baylor went from somewhere below Iowa State to conference Top Dog.

Parity hit the Big 12, and the motions look similar in the Southeast right now.

The reason why the Pac never quite took #1 on the conference list, is because of usc.

They actually did more to damage the conference by being so dominant. Same thing happened with the ACC having florida state as a cardinal member.

Sure other schools would rise to challenge usc each year. But nobody could sustain their competitiveness on a consistent basis.

With usc being down, the pac-12 has risen up a rung or two. Stanford is formidable, as well as Oregon. UCLA has benefitted greatly at usc's expense. This year alone, 5 teams from the pac finished with ten + wins (including usc).

The best thing that could happen to the pac-12, is for usc to not see the kind of success they had in early to mid first 2000 decade.

We'll see what happens from here; but now that teams are adjusting themselves to compete against their conference peers more suitably, I suspect the title toughest conference may shift here in the near future.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:45 pm

Auburn was playing head to head with Bama....

Auburn had a marvelous final play to win...but the game was tied in the final seconds...looked like Auburn was every bit as good as Bama on the field.

Bama had flaws....unlike FSU (who's kicker won the Groza), Bama has a lousy kicking game. I think that Bama made for an easier opponent.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:55 pm

Florida State is the only team I have watched this year that I thought wouldn't lose unless they just laid an egg. Alabama didn't lay an egg. They got beat by a rival who wanted it more that day. Auburn may not be the better team if they played best of ten, but they don't play best of ten.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:22 pm

Spence wrote:Florida State is the only team I have watched this year that I thought wouldn't lose unless they just laid an egg. Alabama didn't lay an egg. They got beat by a rival who wanted it more that day. Auburn may not be the better team if they played best of ten, but they don't play best of ten.

Apparently Oklahoma wants it more than Bama does too.

I wonder if Bama players know something about Saban..... :?
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Return to “General Discussion”