New Year's Bowls

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New Year's Bowls

Postby Derek » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:22 pm

Spence wrote:Florida State is the only team I have watched this year that I thought wouldn't lose unless they just laid an egg. Alabama didn't lay an egg. They got beat by a rival who wanted it more that day. Auburn may not be the better team if they played best of ten, but they don't play best of ten.

Apparently Oklahoma wants it more than Bama does too.

I wonder if Bama players know something about Saban..... :?
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:26 pm

Oklahoma looks better that Alabama. I never really thought Auburn did. Maybe we over estimated how good the tide was this year, or at least I did.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:29 pm

Spence wrote:Oklahoma looks better that Alabama. I never really thought Auburn did. Maybe we over estimated how good the tide was this year, or at least I did.

I don't know. 362 yards of offense in the first half and still down by 14. If they hold pace....they'll have 750 yards for the game.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:41 pm

Alabama has been shooting themselves in the foot. I would expect them to outplay Oklahoma in the second half, but even if they do outplay them, they have a 14 point cushion to work with. I think this will be close.

I have to give Oklahoma some credit though, I thought they would lose by anywhere between 25-30 points tonight. Alabama isn't here unmotivated, they've just messed up more than Oklahoma and Oklahoma has played their best game of the year by a mile.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:51 pm

Yep, chinks in armor . . .

Saban prides his success by building teams around defensive strength. That has been the difference this season. Their defense hasn't played quite as tough. They have just had the an offense that has been able to keep them in their games.

In most cases, Alabama has simply outplayed & looked better than their competition throughout the year.

Spence is right . . . today is a whole different bag-O'-nails. Oklahoma looked like a better team than Alabama in the second quarter.

I don't think Bama's players look disinterested. Rather, just the opposite.

They seem to be playing hard, and trying their best. Oklahoma has simply outplayed them, so far.

The second half here will be truly revealing.

Either Bama proves they have what it takes to play this intense.
Or, Oklahoma proves they aren't Choke Kings, and can finish a game.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:03 am

I think maybe we all got too wrapped up in the hype this year. We have all took the bait.

GoBoilers
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby GoBoilers » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:06 am

One game a season does not make. Auburn was lucky TWICE. It is simply hard to go 11-1 much less 12-0. I think Bama will still win this.
The preceding statements are solely the opinion of GoBoilers and are, therefore, probably not based whatsoever on fact, research or more time in thought than what was required to physically type them. They're probably correct anyway, so you shouldn't argue too much, because otherwise he'll just blather on forever. On the internet Al Gore invented.

GoBoilers
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby GoBoilers » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:07 am

I am guessing Razorhawk has already passed out err...... gone to bed. No mean comments about my mental acuity! Or typing for that matter!
The preceding statements are solely the opinion of GoBoilers and are, therefore, probably not based whatsoever on fact, research or more time in thought than what was required to physically type them. They're probably correct anyway, so you shouldn't argue too much, because otherwise he'll just blather on forever. On the internet Al Gore invented.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:09 am

GoBoilers wrote:One game a season does not make. Auburn was lucky TWICE. It is simply hard to go 11-1 much less 12-0. I think Bama will still win this.

Maybe, but I have watched Oklahoma a lot this year and they aren't a great team. They shouldn't be in a game against Bama let alone be leading.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:47 am

Alabama just can't handle the speed on the edge from Oklahoma's defense. McCarron has been running for his life tonight. Of course the Sooners can't handle the power running of Alabama.

GoBoilers
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby GoBoilers » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:51 am

Spence wrote:Alabama just can't handle the speed on the edge from Oklahoma's defense. McCarron has been running for his life tonight.

You have nailed what is beating Bama. I may have to eat crow on my prediction but, I have been terrible all year on those.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:22 am

That last sack is indicative of exactly that, too much defensive outside speed.

Not only did he get to AJ, he was being held, with a handful of jersey.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:30 am

All of it. Bama may have been hyped and we believed...OK wanted it more and Bama could not recover. Bama's defense stunk...and offensive ends thought blocking was beneath them.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:59 am

Well, that was a pleasant surprise. This is the second time since I've been doing confidence picks that I've missed my 35 pointer (my other being Nebraska over Washington in the Holiday Bowl, 2009 maybe?). My bowl picks have been absolutely shot for some time now :lol:

BCS bowls have been pretty hard for me to pick. There have been a handful of teams where people push the idea that they're sizable underdogs, but they wind up playing much better than anybody expected. UCF and Oklahoma being prime examples of that. So my new rule going forward: Hawaii Bowl is always your one-pointer (a rule I made up after last year, but didn't follow through on :roll: ) and BCS games don't go very high.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:58 am

donovan wrote:All of it. Bama may have been hyped and we believed...OK wanted it more and Bama could not recover. Bama's defense stunk...and offensive ends thought blocking was beneath them.

They certainly couldn't handle Oklahoma's DE's. There was no such thing as pass defense on that team. Bama was a stop the run and make them beat you in the air type team and Oklahoma did just that. I also have no clue how to know what a good team looks like. I think my picks this year have proved it.

Return to “General Discussion”