An already bad defense

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

An already bad defense

Postby Spence » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:00 pm

Is going to be down four starters for the Orange bowl. I thought that whoever had the ball last would win but without the best, corner, safety, and defensive linemen Ohio State has no chance. If I could change my confidence points right now I would make them my lowest available number. It's going to be a stinky game.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: An already bad defense

Postby RazorHawk » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:26 pm

OK, so how many bowl games is the Big Ten going to win?
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:03 pm

RazorHawk wrote:OK, so how many bowl games is the Big Ten going to win?

It doesn't look good for any. Michigan State can win, but they are not going to be favored. I think the only way Ohio State can win is if they score on every position and get that one extra score on the half they should break even on.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:39 pm

Stanford hasn't played many solid defensive units this season; it'll be interesting to see just how good Sparty can be.

Not necessarily the most explosive offense; however, MSU does have a game plan that can truly control the clock.

This is actually going to be a fun Rose Bowl.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:44 pm

That is what I think too. This is the game I most want to watch.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:15 pm

I think this has the potential of being the best Bowl game this year. I do not think the issue is that Stanford has not played against great defenses this year, fact is they have, just not as good as Michigan State, fact also is, nor has any other team in the country if they have played MSU. The key is, Stanford has an excellent defense also, e.g. versus Oregon. I think Stanford's defense is better than MSU's offense and Stanford's offense is better than MSU's Offense. In this game offense will win. Stanford revenges the 1902 blowout of 40 something to zip by 21-17. Spence is right in his thoughts that defense wins championships...MSU offense will not be able to score at ease on Stanford's defense.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:42 pm

I agree. I think Stanford will win, but it will be a good game

Old Ducker
All-American
All-American

Postby Old Ducker » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:43 pm

If you prefer boring, smashmouth, real man foobaw, this game is for you!
The artist formerly known as Fluiddude

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:02 pm

Old Ducker wrote:If you prefer boring, smashmouth, real man foobaw, this game is for you!

And that is exactly what I like. :wink: I have had a first hand look at "exciting football" and I prefer the boring kind where defenses are not just fill in players to give the offenses a break. That exciting brand of football seems to get less exciting when it plays a team that can play defense. The offensive minded head coaches always seem completely befuddled when they play a defense with a pulse. Watch Urban Meyer at the end of the Michigan State game.

Mickey Andrews had the most fun to watch defenses I have ever watched play in the 80's and 90's. They were big, fast, and powerful. They weren't boring at all.

Old Ducker
All-American
All-American

Postby Old Ducker » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:32 pm

Spence wrote:
Old Ducker wrote:If you prefer boring, smashmouth, real man foobaw, this game is for you!

And that is exactly what I like. :wink: I have had a first hand look at "exciting football" and I prefer the boring kind where defenses are not just fill in players to give the offenses a break. That exciting brand of football seems to get less exciting when it plays a team that can play defense. The offensive minded head coaches always seem completely befuddled when they play a defense with a pulse. Watch Urban Meyer at the end of the Michigan State game.

Mickey Andrews had the most fun to watch defenses I have ever watched play in the 80's and 90's. They were big, fast, and powerful. They weren't boring at all.

Texas was reputed to have a pretty good defense. :wink:
The artist formerly known as Fluiddude

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:22 pm

Spence wrote:
mickey andrews had the most fun to watch defenses I have ever watched play in the 80's and 90's. They were big, fast, and powerful. They weren't boring at all.

Jimmy Johnson brought that with him, when he started coaching the `Canes --- then Butch Davis brought it back ... man I miss those days.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

GoBoilers
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby GoBoilers » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:26 pm

I look for the mighty Hawkeyes to produce a win!
The preceding statements are solely the opinion of GoBoilers and are, therefore, probably not based whatsoever on fact, research or more time in thought than what was required to physically type them. They're probably correct anyway, so you shouldn't argue too much, because otherwise he'll just blather on forever. On the internet Al Gore invented.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:33 pm

Old Ducker wrote:
Spence wrote:

Texas was reputed to have a pretty good defense. :wink:

There hasn't been a defense in the B12 for years.

Return to “General Discussion”