Coach Kiffin is no more

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Coach Kiffin is no more

Postby donovan » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:14 am

Inevitable, but you have to wonder what good it does to change mid season. No coaches available, so you end up with an interim....why not just wait...unless John L. Smith is ready. (Actually I am still a Smith Fan)

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/college-football/story/_/id/9742627/usc-trojans-fire-coach-lane-kiffin-3-2-start-blowout-loss
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Dossenator

Re: Coach Kiffin is no more

Postby Dossenator » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:37 am

John l Smith would be a character upgrade (in more than 1 way) but pretty sure he would be a downgrade when it comes to coaching football (and that's hard to do following Kiffen).

I am shocked they let did not let Kiffen go before this season.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:49 am

They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:07 am

Derek wrote:I hope it happened like this. LOL!!!

http://fansided.com/2013/09/29/report-lane-kiffin-fired-lax-parking-lot/

I understand you elation. However, in my opinion, it shows that administrators that are sophomoric and banal in their actions, are responsible for the deterioration of a once stellar program into something that is pedestrian and prosaic. Is there no dignity left?

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:12 am

donovan wrote:

I understand you elation. However, in my opinion, it shows that administrators that are sophomoric and banal in their actions, are responsible for the deterioration of a once stellar program into something that is pedestrian and prosaic. Is there no dignity left?

This is completely true.

They should not normally pull someone off a bus like that, as it's only purpose is to humiliate them. But with Kiffin, I'm OK with it. 8) Some might call it "Karma", I call it reaping what you sow.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:14 am

Interim coaches are almost never ideal, although this situation might be different. This ship is sinking fast and his presence could be a cancer there. We don't know what happened this week during practice, but it seems like something did with the way the defense came out. They didn't look like they wanted to be there, so I suspect even after winning two straight, he completely lost the lockeroom. It may have even happened during the ASU game.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:43 am

donovan wrote:

That is right. USC's board of regents should be handing out more pink slips than just Kiffin. He should never have been fired in the first place. One had to only look at Tennessee to know he wasn't a good coach.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Old Ducker
All-American
All-American

Postby Old Ducker » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:27 pm

I haz a sad. I was hoping Hello Kiffy would stay in LA forever. I will have a bitter sad if Kelly pulls a Saban and takes the SC job.
The artist formerly known as Fluiddude

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:29 pm

Old Ducker wrote:I haz a sad. I was hoping Hello Kiffy would stay in LA forever. I will have a bitter sad if Kelly pulls a Saban and takes the SC job.

I have a feeling that USC will misfire on their next hire as well. I think they'll take a "rising" coach and it won't be the guy to right the ship. If they do find the right guy, USC can contend right away because the school will still attract recruits and they have some talent in place already. Kessler is bad right now, but he's a lot better than he was against Hawaii and Washington State. He has the potential to become a very good QB for them, and the defense is young in some spots. They're just directionless without a guy like Carroll who knew how to get the best out of his players.

Old Ducker
All-American
All-American

Postby Old Ducker » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:35 pm

Eric wrote:
Old Ducker wrote:I haz a sad. I was hoping Hello Kiffy would stay in LA forever. I will have a bitter sad if Kelly pulls a Saban and takes the SC job.

I have a feeling that USC will misfire on their next hire as well. I think they'll take a "rising" coach and it won't be the guy to right the ship. If they do find the right guy, USC can contend right away because the school will still attract recruits and they have some talent in place already. Kessler is bad right now, but he's a lot better than he was against Hawaii and Washington State. He has the potential to become a very good QB for them, and the defense is young in some spots. They're just directionless without a guy like Carroll who knew how to get the best out of his players.

I wouldn't mind if USC hired Sark for the schadenfreude.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:44 pm

Sarkisian is interesting. Is that because you don't like Washington? I know a lot of Oregon guys resent the fact that Washington fans still think of Oregon as a rival when Oregon has been head-and-shoulders above them for at least the last decade :lol:

Of course that could change in two weeks :wink:

Old Ducker
All-American
All-American

Postby Old Ducker » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:52 pm

Eric wrote:Sarkisian is interesting. Is that because you don't like Washington? I know a lot of Oregon guys resent the fact that Washington fans still think of Oregon as a rival when Oregon has been head-and-shoulders above them for at least the last decade :lol:

Of course that could change in two weeks :wink:

w ashington is our blood enemy and always will be. It matters not if they suck. Currently we are enjoying a nine game winning streak and hoping for 10. Oregon State is occasionally a rival but is regarded more as our little brother. :D

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:11 pm

I think Old Ducker is right. Washington an Oregon are blood enemies...there have been some absolutely uncivil behavior between the two. OSU and U of O are rivals...despite the little brother comment. There is not many rivalries as good as the Civil War. As a kid you were either a Dodger fan or a Yankee fan. Raised in Oregon, only to come home watch the tide of life go out, you were either a Duck or a Beaver. I just learned in third grade there is no Duck on the Oregon State flag.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:06 pm

Eric wrote:Interim coaches are almost never ideal, although this situation might be different. This ship is sinking fast and his presence could be a cancer there. We don't know what happened this week during practice, but it seems like something did with the way the defense came out. They didn't look like they wanted to be there, so I suspect even after winning two straight, he completely lost the lockeroom. It may have even happened during the ASU game.

Yeah, with the way they met in the 3rd quarter to make their decision....That should tell us something about halftime in the locker room.

Maybe he said something that really was below the belt, and the AD caught wind of it, and before the 3rd quarter was out....HE was out.

Who knows....the coming days will reveal a lot

- John Madden

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:11 pm

According to this article he was given a choice of resigning or termination. And that the team is not "unhappy" about it.

I'd say his days of coaching anything above High School are over. He REALLY angered someone, and it had nothing to do with the loss to ASU.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1791378-lane-kiffin-fired-as-usc-head-coach

- John Madden

Return to “General Discussion”