Wisconsin Just Got Robbed!

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Wisconsin Just Got Robbed!

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:17 am

18 seconds on the clock . . . They run the ball to center up a field goal attempt (no timeouts left)

A defensive lineman laid on the ball until there was only 7 seconds left (should have been a delay of game penalty on the defense).

The ref held the ball for an additional 4 seconds . . . 3 seconds left, and Wisconsin was unable to spike the ball in time . . . Arizona State won (gift wrapped by the officiating crew) [it is a reviewable play --- but the refs gathered into a huddle, the jogged off of the field]

Somebody is gonna get a nasty letter . . . and you can bet Twitter & Facebook are blowing up right now.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Eric

Re: Wisconsin Just Got Robbed!

Postby Eric » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:34 am

The ending was ridiculous, but ASU got jobbed earlier on that drive. Duckworth was out of bounds in my honest opinion, which would have shaved 20-25 yards off of that throw. Of course you never know if they would have marched down the field anyway had that review been called correctly.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

strawman
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby strawman » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:41 am

That ref obviously had ASU in Eric's pick 'em.
The Coach K Slam - Olympic Champion, World Champion, NCAA Champion, ACC Champion

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:42 am

I didn't think he was out of bounds. I do think the PAC 10 refs are bad. They have been for a while.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:41 pm

They were dear in the headlights clueless, but I really don' know why ASU didn't just try a pass into the end zone. If it wasn't open, throw it away and kick the FG from the hash. This anal retention of having to put the ball between the hashes for a field goal is a little absurd and their whole mindset cost them the game.
"Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:49 pm

Nothing like a little Wild West Justice.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Old Ducker
All-American
All-American

Postby Old Ducker » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:48 pm

Spence sez, " I do think the PAC 10 refs are bad."

Totally false, here is proof: http://deadspin.com/confused-ref-in-cal ... 1316133246
The artist formerly known as Fluiddude

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:02 pm

"Fluid" makes an appearance..welcome back...
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:14 pm

Old Ducker wrote:Spence sez, " I do think the PAC 10 refs are bad."

Totally false, here is proof: http://deadspin.com/confused-ref-in-cal ... 1316133246

Welcome back! Glad to see you visit us again.

I had a party at my house during the game and those guys were the cause of many laughs. That crew made pretty good calls, but their spots were terrible. Not really against or for any team, but just bad. Sometimes they missed it by four or five yards. In a close game, I can see where people would be upset. At one point the ruling on the field was that the Cal player went out of bounds before he touched the pylon with the ball. Replay officials overturned it. Even though Cal would have scored anyway on the next play, there was no way they had overwhelming video evidence. You really couldn't tell one way or the other. I think those calls are worse then the original.

I think referee across college football are bad. I have long advocated making them full time employees so they could be on the level of MLB umps. Those guys make a ton of bang bang calls every day and don't miss many. It is a shame they want to bring replay into baseball. It isn't needed.

Your boys look very good this year. They seem to have found a defense. We seem to have lost one. :lol:

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:51 pm

Old Ducker wrote:Spence sez, " I do think the PAC 10 refs are bad."

How are you doing. I tired and retired. Moved to Oregon....I have been on the Beavers bandwagon, just because I have issues with success. Good to hear from you. I think your boys, all things being equal, could win it all, there is talent beyond description.

Old Ducker
All-American
All-American

Postby Old Ducker » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:53 pm

Hello all.

To Spence: The ref in the video I put up is Jay Stricherz. He is so awful that his name has been immortalized in that a victim of a hideously awful call is referred to as being "Stricherz'd."

To Donovan: It's been a strange couple of years. I endured a serious illness which fortunately passed. I became fed up with the horrible state of the world and seriously considered going full survivalist and disappearing; I went far enough down that road that I sold almost everything I owned while I considered my options. In the end, I decided I still had a few things to prove before TEOTWAWKI and/or WW3 occurs and I just took a very good position with a French company in Houston Texas. I have been appointed as "engineer emeritus," and my task is to mentor their young engineers basically stick my nose into whatever business of theirs that comes my way, then hobnob with their mucky mucks in Paris once a year. I thought I still had some usefulness in me and I find it ironic it took a foreign company to agree. Today is actually my last day in Oregon. I would have liked to meet; perhaps it may yet happen sometime. My oldest daughter is finishing up her studies at Oregon State and she plans to go on to grad school, which I guess means that I get to continue paying child support on her. Whoopie.
The artist formerly known as Fluiddude

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:33 pm

Glad to here your illness has passed and hope to see you around here more often.

As to the refs - Big ten refs are bad too. I think the refs should not be employeed by the conference, but rather the NCAA. Time the NCAA did something they could be good at.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:51 pm

I am glad you are doing well. I hope too we can meet sometime...just laugh and giggle. At least your daughter knows there is no duck on the Oregon state flag. I wish you both the best.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:59 pm

If we're talking bad refereeing, then I've always liked this example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRFOoOUV9Vs

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:00 pm

Of course this one's pretty blatant, too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH_QY2qiLMs

Cane... [__]

Return to “General Discussion”