Discipline take tolls...but not where it counts

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Discipline take tolls...but not where it counts

Postby donovan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:15 am

I have never felt one way or another about Urban Meyer. I liked him at Utah because besides winning he did a lot of sustaining good things for the university. Once he headed South, my interest in what he did melded into my general interest in Southern sport teams. Seems to me he has been a good teacher of athletes on and off the field. The latest reports from Ohio State send a clear message. I hope the fans and administration support him, if it causes a rocky road ahead.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/08/17/two-more-key-ohio-state-players-bradley-roby-rod-smith-suspended-to-miss-opener/2667597/
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Discipline take tolls...but not where it counts

Postby Spence » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:19 am

donovan wrote:I have never felt one way or another about Urban Meyer. I liked him at Utah because besides winning he did a lot of sustaining good things for the university. Once he headed South, my interest in what he did melded into my general interest in Southern sport teams. Seems to me he has been a good teacher of athletes on and off the field. The latest reports from Ohio State send a clear message. I hope the fans and administration support him, if it causes a rocky road ahead.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/08/17/two-more-key-ohio-state-players-bradley-roby-rod-smith-suspended-to-miss-opener/2667597/

The punishments doled out aren't much of a change in what usually happens at Ohio State. The difference, that I can see, is that the players are immediately suppended from the team until everything comes out. It used to be they waited until the court appearance then punished. I'm not sure I like the immediate suspension. I guess the news service picks it up and it limits the uproar, but if a guy isn't guilty then it really isn't fair.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:38 am

"First the verdict, then the trial" I get what you say and it is hard to argue that point. However, if what I read is correct, Meyer says he was where he was not suppose to be and whether or not the offense was committed, he was still in violation of some team rule. Seems to me that would make some punishment appropriate. A lot of times I get caught up in the media hype about the egregious behavior of athletes. I think in reality there are a lot of piddly rule violations that get handed out almost daily. I've seen, as you have, kids not starting for the first series, as punishment, name not listed as starter, etc. But after the first series, they are up and at 'em. Át lest Coach Meyer does not have the "kids will be kids" mentality.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:44 pm

At least, now that he's back up north.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:20 pm

donovan wrote:"First the verdict, then the trial" I get what you say and it is hard to argue that point. However, if what I read is correct, Meyer says he was where he was not suppose to be and whether or not the offense was committed, he was still in violation of some team rule. Seems to me that would make some punishment appropriate. A lot of times I get caught up in the media hype about the egregious behavior of athletes. I think in reality there are a lot of piddly rule violations that get handed out almost daily. I've seen, as you have, kids not starting for the first series, as punishment, name not listed as starter, etc. But after the first series, they are up and at 'em. Át lest Coach Meyer does not have the "kids will be kids" mentality.

He was in Bloomington Indiana in a bar he should not have been in at a time he should not have been. Two of the three, the punishment is real. It will hurt their numbers and that could hurt their draft numbers at next years draft. I don't have a problem with the final punishment. My problem is kicking them off the team as soon as there is an allegation. I believe it is mostly to quit the media and prove that Coach Meyer is "tough on rules breakers". Then the real punishment is later. I can see where this can cause problems. A female fan of another school can say this player hit me, he is out for two games during the season while the police determine the player did nothing.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Return to “General Discussion”