Fantasy Conference: Alpha Test

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Fantasy Conference: Alpha Test

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:54 am

Cap Heresy wrote:FYI, the teams that play 13 games this year are USC and Colorado State. I hope I'm not ruining somebody's strategy by saying that!

hmm...

If it comes down to me getting stuck with either team .. .. .. well, I guess if I'm getting stuck taking someone, it doesn't particularly fall under strategy.

Colorado State won a grand total of 4 games last year; one of those games against Colorado by 5 points (the buffaloes only won a single game last season [they beat Washington St by 1 point]).

USC won 7 games, though, lost in humiliating fashion vs a 6-7 Georgia Tech team in the Sun Bowl. And the trojans will be starting a new QB this year.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

warrriorsfan808
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach
Location: Live In: Honolulu, Hi Born In: New Braunfels, Texas

Postby warrriorsfan808 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:55 am

I'm in at 15

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:00 am

donovan wrote:
Cap Heresy wrote:FYI, the teams that play 13 games this year are USC and Colorado State. I hope I'm not ruining somebody's strategy by saying that!

Pretty sure you are not....strategy assumes there is rhyme and reason...

What is this strategy that you talk about? How is it applied? I have long been an advocate of the guess method. It requires less planning.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:15 am

Okay, I have:

Donovan in @ 17
Eric in @ 11
Spence in @ 10
Warriorsfan808 in @ 15

Just need Dossenator to choose a number from 1 to 30; excluding 10 - 11 - 15 - 17.

With me, That would be six people.

Anyone else, I will give until Monday, then we will start picking teams Tuesday.

With there being 125 teams, the game could potentially support a couple more.
At ten teams per conference, and six people playing, we've cut the field in half.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:13 am

If it is not too late I pick 9.

Cane from the Bend wrote:Okay, I have:

Donovan in @ 17
Eric in @ 11
Spence in @ 10
Warriorsfan808 in @ 15

Just need Dossenator to choose a number from 1 to 30; excluding 10 - 11 - 15 - 17.

With me, That would be six people.

Anyone else, I will give until Monday, then we will start picking teams Tuesday.

With there being 125 teams, the game could potentially support a couple more.
At ten teams per conference, and six people playing, we've cut the field in half.

"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:01 pm

I think you should use the CCR rankings. They pay for the site and the rankings are pretty solid.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:25 pm

I'm not sure how rankings play in this format, but I agree, we need to support this site.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:10 pm

I hate the idea of quoting myself, but in this for instance, it speaks for itself.

Cane from the Bend wrote:the "Rules":

(a.) keeping it simple, I'd like to start the first competition with each person choosing 10 teams.

(b.) no team may be chosen more than once [if someone has the team already, sorry for your luck].

(c.) a maximum of 3 team choices for each conference [literally no more than 3 SEC - Big 1G - Big XII - Pac 12 - ACC - ect ... teams maybe placed into your conference].

(d.) likewise, no more than 2 teams from the same division may be chosen for your conference [you could potentially have Alabama - LSU - florida in you conference, but not Alabama - LSU - Texas A&M].

(e.) no teams outside of the FBS [sorry, it will difficult enough to keep track of everything as is].

(f.) teams selections will be picked in rounds; after the first person has chosen a respective team, the next participant will have 18 hours to make a selection - should that player not chose a team within that 18 hour time frame, said person will be bumped until the end of the current round [this will occur every missed selection - and may result in said bumped participant in having 2 or more picks on the next selection period]

(g.) your conference will receive one point per team victory [+1].

(h.) your conference will receive a minus half point per team loss [-.5] .

(i.) your conference will receive a plus half point per team victory versus an opponent ranked there within the top 15 [+.5] which becomes effective after the 5th week [by then a solid top 15 should be valid]

(j.) your conference will receive a minus one point for a team's loss versus an FCS opponent [-1] --- [if it happens, then this reduction is deserved].

Last edited by Cane from the Bend on Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:36 pm

I believe that the majority of us agree then, so I amended rule (h.) to use this sites rankings, following week 5. (by then we should have a clearer picture of who deserves the rank they have been allocated)

Cane... [__]

warrriorsfan808
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach
Location: Live In: Honolulu, Hi Born In: New Braunfels, Texas

Postby warrriorsfan808 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:41 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:I believe that the majority of us agree then, so I amended rule (h.) to use this sites rankings, following week 5. (by then we should have a clearer picture of who deserves the rank they have been allocated)

Sounds good to me.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:43 am

In the event Warrriorsfan is yet relying on this thread, I am reposting this message here:

Dossenator took Alabama - He may take a maximum of 2 more teams from the SEC, and only 1 more from the SEC West.
Spence took Ohio State - He may take a maximum of 2 more teams from the B1G, and only 1 more frome the B1G Leaders.
Eric took Louisville - He may take a maximum of 2 more teams from the AAC.

Warrriorsfan808, you're on the Clock: last pick was in at to 2:25 p.m. eastern time - you have until 8:30 a.m. (3:30 a.m. in Hawai'i) to list your choice.
Donovan: you're up after Warrriorsfan.

Cane... [__]

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:47 pm

So with this new twist...and thank you Cane....when it comes to picks for the Howdy Memorial Picks.....there may be some betting against yourself....so this is like real life. Is Clemson available again....?

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:39 am

donovan wrote:So with this new twist...and thank you Cane....when it comes to picks for the Howdy Memorial Picks.....there may be some betting against yourself....so this is like real life. Is Clemson available again....?

Speaking of Clemson....tell me....Is there first game a loss, or a win? :?
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:15 am

It's in committee right now and the report should be available in 6 to 8 weeks.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:56 pm

This is the first curve~ball I threw at the image in the mirror . . .

I have yet to choose more than 1 team from the same conference ... but, I have both Georgia & Clemson as selections.

Cane... [__]

Return to “General Discussion”