Post-season Play-offs

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:21 pm

One thing I know about Marshall....At least when they were in the MAC they tried to schedule the toughest schedule they could most seasons. Sometimes the teams they play turn out not be as strong as was thought at the time of scheduling and more often than that BCS schools refuse to play them, especially in Huntington.
The only thing more they could do is schedule all their non-conf games away from home but that wouldn't be fair to the team, season ticket holders, concessionaies, etc...

Marshall has a good program and your right, they will play anyone. My comments were meant to show why the Herd didn't and shouldn't have made the BCS that year. They very well could have been good enough but their schedule didn't show it.

Mid majors are at a disadvantage when it comes to scheduling games. The programs they want to play aren't going to go to Huntington because the money isn't good enough. The only way to get them to do it is with systematic scheduling where the big time programs have no choice but to play them at home at least once a year. So you are correct.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:25 am

CFL, I have decided that I was completely wrong and there should be play-offs. You are right.

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:05 pm

I agree whole-heartedly on the systematic scheduling thing.

I also agree to a great extent on the Marshall issue. I guess the question is if they do all they can, should they get the benefit of the doubt? It is not their fault that their schedule wasn't as tough as someone else's. These situations are a tough call especially when the team that played the weaker schedule has the better overall record. In most cases they will go with the bigger name program but it would be nice if occasionally they went with the smaller school every now and then.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:22 pm

I agree whole-heartedly on the systematic scheduling thing.

I also agree to a great extent on the Marshall issue. I guess the question is if they do all they can, should they get the benefit of the doubt? It is not their fault that their schedule wasn't as tough as someone else's. These situations are a tough call especially when the team that played the weaker schedule has the better overall record. In most cases they will go with the bigger name program but it would be nice if occasionally they went with the smaller school every now and then.

No one can help their conference schedule, but they can help their non-conference schedule. Also if, as a conference, they have been viewed as weak they can make the decision that everyone in the conference schedule "traditionally strong" competition. That way if one member of your conference catched someone in a down cycle, another will pick them up. The MAC conference has tried to do this the last few years and eventually it will help them.

That is also how systematic scheduling would work. That is why it would help the mid majors that are truely deserving and it would hurt the majors who are being judge more on reputation then how good they are currently. It really is the most fair way to do it.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:49 pm

Spence wrote:Keep dreaming.
I'll be dreaming about Marshall and TCU in next year's BCS.

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:16 pm

Congrats to CLF on starting this thread.

//

TOPICS
First 25 Replies: "Texas WILL Beat USC By A LOT", Yeofoot
First 50 Replies: "[POLL] Who is the Last Ohio Team to Beat Ohio State?", Yeofoot
First 100 Replies: "Preseason rankings for next season", Buckfan05
First 200 Replies: "Post-season Play-offs", Colorado_Loves_Football

First 500 Views: "[POLL] Who is the Last Ohio Team to Beat Ohio State?", Yeofoot
First 1000 Views: "Preseason rankings for next season", Buckfan05
First 2000 Views: "Post-season Play-offs", Clorado_Loves_Football
First 5000 Views: "Post-season Play-offs", Clorado_Loves_Football

First 5-Page Topic: "[POLL] ND Schedule", Xavier
First 10-Page Topic: "Post-season Play-offs", Colorado_Loves_Football
First 15-Page Topic: "Post-season Play-offs", Colorado_Loves_Football
First 20-Page Topic: "Post-season Play-offs", Colorado_Loves_Football

//

Pretty soon it'll also be the First 25-page topic.

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:00 pm

Spence, I agree with your points but you say you control who you play out of conference. As I've pointed out before this is only half true. It takes two to schedule a game and, at least in the case of the MAC, it is the BCS-type schools that don't want the games not those that have the most to gain.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:52 pm

I'll be dreaming about Marshall and TCU in next year's BCS.

It would be a dream. It isn't going to happen.

Spence, I agree with your points but you say you control who you play out of conference. As I've pointed out before this is only half true. It takes two to schedule a game and, at least in the case of the MAC, it is the BCS-type schools that don't want the games not those that have the most to gain.

Jason, I know what your saying, and it is true to an extent. Minnesota wouldn't play a good MAC team, because they don't want the better competition early. Teams like Ohio State, though, schedule the upper half of the MAC regularly. If a team from the upper half of the B-10 schedules a good MAC team and wins it helps their SOS. Especially if that team goes on and wins their conference. It is playing the weaker mid major teams that hurt them. I know of no MAC team that ever was refused an OOC game with Ohio State. As a matter of fact, Ohio State's policy under Geiger was to play Ohio and MAC schools first, to keep the money in the area.

Oklahoma scheduled TCU because TCU plays near the top of their conference. Winning games like that help the majors almost as much as they help the mid major they play, if they win. Especially with the computers.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:21 pm

Congrats to CLF on starting this thread.

//

TOPICS
First 25 Replies: "Texas WILL Beat USC By A LOT", Yeofoot
First 50 Replies: "[POLL] Who is the Last Ohio Team to Beat Ohio State?", Yeofoot
First 100 Replies: "Preseason rankings for next season", Buckfan05
First 200 Replies: "Post-season Play-offs", Colorado_Loves_Football

First 500 Views: "[POLL] Who is the Last Ohio Team to Beat Ohio State?", Yeofoot
First 1000 Views: "Preseason rankings for next season", Buckfan05
First 2000 Views: "Post-season Play-offs", Clorado_Loves_Football
First 5000 Views: "Post-season Play-offs", Clorado_Loves_Football

First 5-Page Topic: "[POLL] ND Schedule", Xavier
First 10-Page Topic: "Post-season Play-offs", Colorado_Loves_Football
First 15-Page Topic: "Post-season Play-offs", Colorado_Loves_Football
First 20-Page Topic: "Post-season Play-offs", Colorado_Loves_Football

//

You can get a thread to 25 pages if the principals involved have are as hard headed as the two that are keeping this thread alive. :oops:

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:18 pm

Well, maybe it's something people are interested in?

I don't control everything that happens, I am after all one person.

And, if you don't like it, I guess you can have me 'banned', assuming that's what's needed, I simply am a person of high principles when it comes to my point-of-view. Im not necessarily 'proud' of the fact my ideas aren't popular, but I can't control that, either.

I would prefer our ideas were viewed as 'valuable' or insightful, not necessarily just 'long' or 'without' sufficient thought and/or value.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:43 pm

Well, maybe it's something people are interested in?

I don't control everything that happens, I am after all one person.

And, if you don't like it, I guess you can have me 'banned', assuming that's what's needed, I simply am a person of high principles when it comes to my point-of-view. Im not necessarily 'proud' of the fact my ideas aren't popular, but I can't control that, either.

I would prefer our ideas were viewed as 'valuable' or insightful, not necessarily just 'long' or 'without' sufficient thought and/or value.

It was a joke. Lighten up. I wouldn't try to have you banned for no reason and even if I did, the admin. would call me out for it. You ideas don't have to be popular. You still have the right to defend them. No one is trying to ban you.

Return to “General Discussion”