boise state/BCS

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:07 pm

If Boise State remains undefeated, the Fiesta Bowl will give Boise State the Utah/Pittsburgh treatment. They'll pair up Boise State with the lowest rated conference champion (I think that'll be Nebraska, not to say that they aren't good, but I don't even think they're ranked right now).
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:15 pm

Maybe, but not on purpose like last time. Texas, without McCoy may not win the CCG, but if they did, they would have been playing in the Fiesta.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:00 am

donovan wrote:
Spence wrote:If Boise State goes undefeated they will be in a BCS bowl. You are right that money and politics are involved in the decision, but not to the extent that you think. The body of work that a team turns in matters. If Boise State had beaten USC instead of Oregon State and then had beaten say Nebraska, they would be in the running for the big game.

There isn't as much an East-West bias as there is a major-mid major bias. But a team can over come by beating a couple of good teams as Utah did a few years ago.

There may not be as little influence of money and politic as you think...those of course are the choices...

I think you are right about the major -mid major issue...however.....that has some geographical basis and......look at the number of western schools in the hunt....

Will suggest we schedule Ball State...that seems to work.

Of course there is geographical bias....Bowl games are not about rewarding good teams with exposure, sure that happens. But bowls care about how well teams travel. And Boise is a long way from anywhere. :lol:
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:07 am

Derek wrote:[Of course there is geographical bias....Bowl games are not about rewarding good teams with exposure, sure that happens. But bowls care about how well teams travel. And Boise is a long way from anywhere. :lol:

Brooks...being the cultural mecca of the South certainly can understand that issue.........

I thinks Boise's expectation is if they go undefeated they will get the lowliest of all bowls...the Fiesta agains some team that should not be in the BCS run........and they are OK with that. They know real.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:35 am

Idaho? Sure...all the Miami kids want to go to the great "white" north...home of bunkered white supremicists and neo nazis.

Especially now that Coker won't let the kids carry their weapons or body armor.

There is a strong connection, however, between the Seminoles and Idaho. The Kamiah Valley of Idaho is rich in the heritage and legends of the Nez Perce. It was here, among the ancestors of the present day Nez Perce, the Appaloosa horse was first bred, primarily for use as a war animal. All of the Noles' "Renegades" have been Appaloosas.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:44 am

[quote="billybud"]Idaho? Sure...all the Miami kids want to go to the great "white" north...home of bunkered white supremicists and neo nazis.

quote]

......nothing like ending a fun conversation. Adieu :(

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:51 am

Brooks...being the cultural mecca of the South certainly can understand that issue.........

When ya dish it out...expect some back...and if ya can't take a joke...leave the room.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:58 am

billybud wrote:

When ya dish it out...expect some back...and if ya can't take a joke...leave the room.

Not a problem....

Spence...please remove my name from the registered users.....life is too short.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:12 am

Y'all come back, soon. Ya heah.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:21 am

donovan wrote:
billybud wrote:

Not a problem....

Spence...please remove my name from the registered users.....life is too short.

donovan, hopefully, you will reconsider.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:46 pm

Eric wrote:If Boise State remains undefeated, the Fiesta Bowl will give Boise State the Utah/Pittsburgh treatment. They'll pair up Boise State with the lowest rated conference champion (I think that'll be Nebraska, not to say that they aren't good, but I don't even think they're ranked right now).

First of all, I remember the situation. Utah 'earned' a BCS bid, through competitive play, as did Pittsburgh. Neither team, had anything to apologize for. Pittsburgh beat N.D. in S. Bend, IN. And, they beat B.C. head-to-head (as well as W.V.). They did lose to Syracuse, on the road.
It's the only reason they weren't 'concensus' Big East champions. (They also lost, away, to a very good Connecticut team). And, they lost to Nebraska, who weren't bad, early-on. (Joe Dailey was their Q.B.).
8-3 isn't 'exceptional' but it's not terrible, either. F.S.U. had an 8-4 record heading into last year's Orange Bowl. Comparable, IMO.
Utah, was 11-0 going into the Fiesta Bowl. They beat UNC, in SLC & Texas A&M. Texas A&M, I believe was 7-4 played in Cotton Bowl. Perhaps a 'better' pairing would have been Tennessee & Utah, anywhere.
I actually think the Cotton Bowl would be 'wise' to take the MWC winner.
Last year, that would have given them TCU (against Alabama). Tell me that wouldn't have been an interesting game to watch!
This year, Boise St. (assuming they meet the standard) likely will be in the Fiesta Bowl. The Fiesta Bowl is 'assured' the Big XII champion, in 'typical' years. It means Boise St (if undefeated) will play that team.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:53 pm

I actually think the Cotton Bowl would be 'wise' to take the MWC winner.

Won't happen. The Cotton Bowl matches the SEC with the Big 12.

The MWC Champ will play a Pac 10 team in the Las Vegas Bowl.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:06 pm

I think we can probably go without all the sterotyping. I am not assigning any blame or putting anyone on notice, but I am going to lock this one down.

One thing I have noticed in my limited travels. People are people, no matter where the come from or what sort of degree they have or do not have. They all are trying to do the best they can do. When you start looking down on people, you should also look up at those looking down on you. Rest assured they are there.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Return to “General Discussion”