BCS Rankings and Bowls...

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
strawman
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: BCS Rankings and Bowls...

Postby strawman » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:55 pm

Rankings and strength of schedule are part of it but how well you travel and put your fans butts in the seats and on the sofa watching is a major component that you won't hear mentioned but it is the one that matters most $$$$$$$$.
The Coach K Slam - Olympic Champion, World Champion, NCAA Champion, ACC Champion

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:57 pm

strawman wrote:Rankings and strength of schedule are part of it but how well you travel and put your fans butts in the seats and on the sofa watching is a major component that you won't hear mentioned but it is the one that matters most $$$$$$$$.

How well you travel has more to do with every game except the NCG, then anything else.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:11 am

Part of bowl acceptance is you have to guarantee a certain number of tickets. so if you are playing at a place you do not have a great fan base, or fans that travel well...you won't go. Boise jumps on the Las Vegas gig because...people go to Vegas for a lot of reasons and really cheap tickets and rooming. Boise fans are not having pre orgasmic experience going to play Arizona State. The most expensive ticket at that game is 200 bucks..and most are in the 60 dollar range.....Boise has sucked hind teat too many times....time they leave the MWC and go to the Big Sky...Montana could beat a lot of the 120 pompous butt schools....and that New Hampshire game against Montana was a a very good football game to watch. And...in Montana they do not worry about sweet tea and sweet slaw. They just learned to cook their meat.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Grayghost
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Grayghost » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:19 am

donovan wrote: And...in Montana they do not worry about sweet tea and sweet slaw. They just learned to cook their meat.

Sweet slaw?!...Gak! I can't stand regular slaw. Sweet slaw just makes it sound like they dumped Miracle Whip in...and Miracle Whip is the most revolting creation ever put together by man! :shock:
I dont care who wins as long as Notre Dame loses!

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:44 pm

They don't use miracle whip it is slaw dressing which is way sweeter than miracle whip. Marzetti makes the sweetest I know about.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:57 pm

darn yankee heathens!

They brought us southerners wondrous foods like keilbasa, oyster stew, Philly cheese steak, and cod fish...while turning their little blue blood noses up at fine southern delicacies. I knew the south was dead when I saw bagels and lox advertised in the paper.

The murder most foul is the premeditated killing of a culture. Like the Romans sowing the fields of Carthage with salt to forever poison them, the darn yankees have done their best to jerk our cuisine. But it lives on...now, where's my Paula Deen cookbook?
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Grayghost
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Grayghost » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:05 pm

billybud wrote:darn yankee heathens!

They brought us southerners wondrous foods like keilbasa, oyster stew, Philly cheese steak, and cod fish...while turning their little blue blood noses up at fine southern delicacies. I knew the south was dead when I saw bagels and lox advertised in the paper.

The murder most foul is the premeditated killing of a culture. Like the Romans sowing the fields of Carthage with salt to forever poison them, the darn yankees have done their best to jerk our cuisine. But it lives on...now, where's my Paula Deen cookbook?

I laughed so hard I spit up. Now...Good sir, there are many fine southern foods that I love...slaw just ain't one of them...in any form. Don't like sweet potatos or yams, and completely disagree with pineapple on pizza (which my wife considers grounds for divorce). I guess I am just one of those guys who likes his deserts sweet and his main meals salty. :wink:
I dont care who wins as long as Notre Dame loses!

Brian Roastbeef
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Brian Roastbeef » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:33 pm

billybud wrote:darn yankee heathens!

Google tells me sweet slaw is akin to coleslaw with pineapple juice... Mang, I dunno about that one...

As for bagels headed down that way, you're welcome. If you can get a Bruegger's or a Tim Horton's far enough down there, enjoy the Sundried Tomato... no lox, just a bit of butter. It is the epitome of a good quick breakfast up here in the big city. :mrgreen:

And unless you think that I have outed myself as a purely blue-blooded Durn-yankee, be aware that I have more than a fair appreciation for the simple greatness that come with cornbread and beans slow-cooked with a smoked turkey ham thrown in. (Yeah, I don't eat pork, but that isn't for blue-blooded northerner reasons.)

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:41 pm

I like bagels alright, but you can hold the fish. I like fish for dinner.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:56 pm

Freekin' folks from up Nawth actually think that beef is barbeque. These are the same misguided people who eat ribs that are dry, think that potato pancakes are the whiz, drink bourbon with Coke (honest! I've seen it!), and commit other acts of gastronomical insanity.

Every winter we have hordes of these blue haired refugees from the Nawth flee the squalid slush of their home state and their Waffel House cuisine to flock to Florida. Now we have entire buffet lines set up with this awful cafeteria type food so that these refugees from the gastronomical hinterlands will feel comfortable.

They eagerly beam as they recognize the jello salad filled with the white puffy stuff, thin slices of dry turkey on a hump of grey dressing, little sliver filets of mystery fish swimming in greasy butter, and..."Oh look John..is that apple pan dowdy? This is just like home."
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:49 pm

billybud wrote:Freekin' folks from up Nawth actually think that beef is barbeque. These are the same misguided people who eat ribs that are dry, think that potato pancakes are the whiz, drink bourbon with Coke (honest! I've seen it!), and commit other acts of gastronomical insanity.

Every winter we have hordes of these blue haired refugees from the Nawth flee the squalid slush of their home state and their Waffel House cuisine to flock to Florida. Now we have entire buffet lines set up with this awful cafeteria type food so that these refugees from the gastronomical hinterlands will feel comfortable.

They eagerly beam as they recognize the jello salad filled with the white puffy stuff, thin slices of dry turkey on a hump of grey dressing, little sliver filets of mystery fish swimming in greasy butter, and..."Oh look John..is that apple pan dowdy? This is just like home."

I do draw the line at putting soda in Bourbon. I do use ice. I thought people think beef is BBQ in Kansas City and Texas? I also thought it was Memphis that likes dry ribs. I am a steak guy. Not fillet or any such thing like that. Give me sirlion strip - rare only, no pink only red. I like garden veggies, but I would rather not have them fried. You can throw a balsamic glaze on it. My wife likes wine, but I'm strictly a beer guy. I have never been in a waffle house or any buffet except one in Vegas I got roped into. It was a seafood buffet, that was well..............to put it nicely.............gross. I do like seafood from all over. Boston has some of the best. I have been to some good places near Tampa Bay and New Orleans is great, but you have to be open minded. :lol:

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:08 pm

Texas cuisine (and I married into a Texan family) is southwestern and not southern....Memphis does do a dry rub barbeque...they were so poor, evidently, that they couldn't afford tomatoes and thus developed the spice rub to disguise the taste of the spoiled meat cooked over a trash burn barrel that they called barbeque.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:15 pm

billybud wrote:Freekin' folks from up Nawth actually think that beef is barbeque. These are the same misguided people who eat ribs that are dry, think that potato pancakes are the whiz, drink bourbon with Coke (honest! I've seen it!), and commit other acts of gastronomical insanity.

Terrible...which is why I am sure you do not take their money.

Yes...in the Northwest we do not believe bacon is the "cure" for everything.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:53 pm

No..of course not, Donovan.

Starbucks is the Lourdes of the west.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:05 pm

billybud wrote:Texas cuisine (and I married into a Texan family) is southwestern and not southern....Memphis does do a dry rub barbeque...they were so poor, evidently, that they couldn't afford tomatoes and thus developed the spice rub to disguise the taste of the spoiled meat cooked over a trash burn barrel that they called barbeque.

People in the north do not have homegrown BBQ. I have adopted the Carolina version, but I'm not against the heavy tomato sauces. I like brisket when it is done right, which it rarely is. My favorite thing is the big flat bone sirloin, a cut they don't cut anymore. You have to have a beef custom cut to get it. Anyway it is the cut that Jimmy Stewart asked for when he ordered beef steak.

Return to “General Discussion”