BCS Rankings are a joke....

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Dossenator

BCS Rankings are a joke....

Postby Dossenator » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:27 pm

AR handily beats the #9 team in the country and drops in the poll. You have to be kidding me. And it's the human voters that did it. The computers have AR at #6. The coaches polls dropped AR and moved Oregon up. I guess they were all busy slobbering all over themselves watching LSU vs Bama and did not realize their was another top 10 match up being played.

The whole BCS show is a joke too. They laugh when Arkansas is mentioned. Someone asked about the AR vs LSU game and you would have thought Eddie Murphy had just supplied them with one of his gems. They fail to remember that AR has beaten LSU 3 of the last 4 years (with the loss going into overtime). All 4 years LSU had a defense equivalent to this one (loaded with more NFL talent than AR), and AR still dropped 30+ on them. Last night SC came to Fayetteville with the 3rd ranked defense and had not given up a play of 40 yards or more all season (well that changed quickly). I am not saying AR will beat LSU this year....but I believe it will be a close game. Petrino has out coached Miles in that game the past 3 years and I expect that to happen again.

If AR, LSU, and Bama win the next two weeks then the AR vs LSU game will be for a three way tie for the SEC west (and then it gets nasty). The tie breaker is: top ranked BCS ranked team goes to SEC Championship Game, if there is a team ranked within 5 spots of the highest ranked BCS team then it goes to head to head. So, if AR beats LSU and LSU remains ranked above Bama and AR jumps both in BCS (AR goes to Atlanta), if AR beats LSU and Bama jumps LSU in BCS poll then Bama holds tie breaker over AR (Bama goes to Atlanta), and then there is a chance that AR beats LSU and AR jumps neither in BCS standings (Bama probaly goes to Atlanta)....see it gets crazy! Kind of like the fiasco of the Big XII a few years ago. Whoever makes it in a three way tie leaves the other 2 teams with legitimate complaints.

There is a chance AR wins out...goes 11-1, ranked in the top 5 of the BCS and not even get to play in a BCS bowl. If there is a three way tie and Bama gets to SECCG and wins it (they probably play for the BCSNC game). Then most believe that LSU would get an at large bid over AR (even though AR would have the same record and would have just beat LSU).

This system is just down right terrible I tell you.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Re: BCS Rankings are a joke....

Postby Derek » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:57 pm

Dossenator wrote:AR handily beats the #9 team in the country and drops in the poll. You have to be kidding me. And it's the human voters that did it. The computers have AR at #6. The coaches polls dropped AR and moved Oregon up. I guess they were all busy slobbering all over themselves watching LSU vs Bama and did not realize their was another top 10 match up being played.

The whole BCS show is a joke too. They laugh when Arkansas is mentioned. Someone asked about the AR vs LSU game and you would have thought Eddie Murphy had just supplied them with one of his gems. They fail to remember that AR has beaten LSU 3 of the last 4 years (with the loss going into overtime). All 4 years LSU had a defense equivalent to this one (loaded with more NFL talent than AR), and AR still dropped 30+ on them. Last night SC came to Fayetteville with the 3rd ranked defense and had not given up a play of 40 yards or more all season (well that changed quickly). I am not saying AR will beat LSU this year....but I believe it will be a close game. Petrino has out coached Miles in that game the past 3 years and I expect that to happen again.

If AR, LSU, and Bama win the next two weeks then the AR vs LSU game will be for a three way tie for the SEC west (and then it gets nasty). The tie breaker is: top ranked BCS ranked team goes to SEC Championship Game, if there is a team ranked within 5 spots of the highest ranked BCS team then it goes to head to head. So, if AR beats LSU and LSU remains ranked above Bama and AR jumps both in BCS (AR goes to Atlanta), if AR beats LSU and Bama jumps LSU in BCS poll then Bama holds tie breaker over AR (Bama goes to Atlanta), and then there is a chance that AR beats LSU and AR jumps neither in BCS standings (Bama probaly goes to Atlanta)....see it gets crazy! Kind of like the fiasco of the Big XII a few years ago. Whoever makes it in a three way tie leaves the other 2 teams with legitimate complaints.

There is a chance AR wins out...goes 11-1, ranked in the top 5 of the BCS and not even get to play in a BCS bowl. If there is a three way tie and Bama gets to SECCG and wins it (they probably play for the BCSNC game). Then most believe that LSU would get an at large bid over AR (even though AR would have the same record and would have just beat LSU).

This system is just down right terrible I tell you.

We've had those same tie-breakers on more than one occasion involving Ga, Tenn, and FL. It's confusing, and the last step of the process involves flipping a coin...no joke...look it up. :wink:

Of course, there would be no need for a tie breaker if Ark would have beat Bama, right? 8) 8) :wink:
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:10 am

I think this LA Times article pretty well sums up what most people on the West Coast think...of course the LA Times in not the The Times-Picayune.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-1107-dufresne-bcs-20111107,0,3335303.column
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:49 am

Just let the season play out. If Arkansas beats LSU and somehow wins the SEC West tiebreaker (not sure how that is determined), then they will get their due recognition.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

silverfox
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby silverfox » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:47 am

Yawn! Same-o Same-O.

It doesn't matter if you win or lose -- it's only matters if you are Bama or LSU.

For me? I personally think Arkansas has the better team this year than either LSU or Bama.

But who am I? Chancellor of the Coconut Bowl. LOL. So far West it's East!

I would really like to see some real shakeups and let Arkansas play BSU in the NC. Now that would be a game.

But... Like wet birds supposedly never fly at night and Blue Moons are a figment of a romantic writer's imagination -- it will never happen.... Blue on Blue... LOL...

Blue vs. Red... Yeah -- The perfect game of the century... underdog vs. elite...

Sigh. Yawn...

Play on... Let the best team's win!
Win or Lose - IT'S HOW YOU HYPE THE OUTCOME! BCS logic: When teams in the AQ conferences lose, it shows how tough those conferences are; when teams in non-AQ conferences lose, it is weakness.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:43 am

Arkansas was whipped badly by Alabama..the Tide won by 24. Bama was better, much better on field, Silverfox.

LSU will play Arkansas and the Hogs will have a chance to make their statement near the end of season.

The problem with a win over #9 South Carolina was that they were a propped up #9 and folks knew it. ECU scored 37 on USCe, Georgia played within 3, Navy played within 3, Auburn beat USCe by 3, MSU played within 2...USCe had been very lucky. They squeaked by and had wins, but when you are within three points of Navy, Georgia, Mississippi State, and Auburn...you don't look powerful.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:05 am

silverfox wrote:Yawn! Same-o Same-O.

It doesn't matter if you win or lose -- it's only matters if you are Bama or LSU.

For me? I personally think Arkansas has the better team this year than either LSU or Bama.

But who am I? Chancellor of the Coconut Bowl. LOL. So far West it's East!

I would really like to see some real shakeups and let Arkansas play BSU in the NC. Now that would be a game.

But... Like wet birds supposedly never fly at night and Blue Moons are a figment of a romantic writer's imagination -- it will never happen.... Blue on Blue... LOL...

Blue vs. Red... Yeah -- The perfect game of the century... underdog vs. elite...

Sigh. Yawn...

Play on... Let the best team's win!

Silver, are you still having issues getting on?
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:41 am

Billybud is correct, Bama manhandled AR early in the season. I too thought SC was not as good as there ranking...however, that does not matter (the computers and coaches had them ranked #9)....so the computers should have like AR beating a top 10. Even after the loss I believe SC only dropped to #12 in the BCS...so they are still getting respect. Just crazy how a team like OU can lose to a dreadful TT team at home and not drop out of the top 10 and then each week rise in the polls no matter who they beat. Wisconsin, the same day TT lost to TT, drops all the way to #15 after losing to a good Mich St team. No one can convince me this system is better than when we just had human voters deciding the rankings.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:12 pm

The computer average for Arkansas was #6...it was the Harris Poll and Coaches that had Arkansas at 8.

Who were you going to move behind Arkansas?

LSU?.....no, they beat Bama and are undefeated

OK State?...well no, they are undefeated with dominating wins over decent teams

Bama?...nope, no loss in regulation time, about even with the #1 team...and dominated Arkansas head to head

Stanford?...nope...undefeated and crushing their opponents

Boise?...no...undefeated...win over Georgia props up the schedule

Oregon? nope...one loss to LSU..killing opponents since the opener

Oklahoma?...one loss by 3 points...vs Arkansas's 24 point drubbing.

I really can't see a compelling reason for Arkansas to be ranked above any of these teams. If the Hogs had kept it close with Bama, I'd think differently.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:43 pm

I think you can justify having Arkansas over Boise State, or Oregon. Oregon has two quality wins all year (Washington and Arizona State) and Boise State has one quality win. Arkansas defeated Texas A&M, South Carolina, and Auburn for quality victories.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:11 pm

Yeah....but it takes a while for folks to forget a 24 point blow out. A bad loss will negate a couple of good wins.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:12 pm

Dossenator wrote:Billybud is correct, Bama manhandled AR early in the season. I too thought SC was not as good as there ranking...however, that does not matter (the computers and coaches had them ranked #9)....so the computers should have like AR beating a top 10. Even after the loss I believe SC only dropped to #12 in the BCS...so they are still getting respect. Just crazy how a team like OU can lose to a dreadful TT team at home and not drop out of the top 10 and then each week rise in the polls no matter who they beat. Wisconsin, the same day TT lost to TT, drops all the way to #15 after losing to a good Mich St team. No one can convince me this system is better than when we just had human voters deciding the rankings.

I disagree, the human voters still decide. the computers are a rubber stamp for public opinion.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:15 pm

Human voters pretty much do decide...the computers kick in at the end when two teams are very close...

GoBoilers
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby GoBoilers » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:40 pm

I love it!!! Arguements just like the old days 40 years ago on who is the best 'cept is was just the AP and UPI polls then. Makes for great debates!
The preceding statements are solely the opinion of GoBoilers and are, therefore, probably not based whatsoever on fact, research or more time in thought than what was required to physically type them. They're probably correct anyway, so you shouldn't argue too much, because otherwise he'll just blather on forever. On the internet Al Gore invented.

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:05 pm

billybud wrote:The computer average for Arkansas was #6...it was the Harris Poll and Coaches that had Arkansas at 8.

Who were you going to move behind Arkansas?

LSU?.....no, they beat Bama and are undefeated

OK State?...well no, they are undefeated with dominating wins over decent teams

Bama?...nope, no loss in regulation time, about even with the #1 team...and dominated Arkansas head to head

Stanford?...nope...undefeated and crushing their opponents

Boise?...no...undefeated...win over Georgia props up the schedule

Oregon? nope...one loss to LSU..killing opponents since the opener

Oklahoma?...one loss by 3 points...vs Arkansas's 24 point drubbing.

I really can't see a compelling reason for Arkansas to be ranked above any of these teams. If the Hogs had kept it close with Bama, I'd think differently.

OU was beat down by a terrible TT team at home (down 31-7 at one point in the game).

Standford and Oregon have 0 wins against BCS top 25 teams.

AR's 1 loss is against #3 Bama on the road.

Right now...LSU, Bama, Boise, and Ok State should all be ahead of AR....Stanford and Oregon have beat no one to deserve their current rankings, and OU got beat at home by an unranked team (the only top 10 team with a loss against an unranked opponent).

The computers have AR ranked above both Stanford and Oregon.

Return to “General Discussion”