Louisville vs WVU

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
strawman
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Louisville vs WVU

Postby strawman » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:57 pm

Do you think Louisville was sending a message to the Big 12 with that win over WVU?
The Coach K Slam - Olympic Champion, World Champion, NCAA Champion, ACC Champion

Swamp Daddy
Coordinator
Coordinator

Re: Louisville vs WVU

Postby Swamp Daddy » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:46 pm

I don't think that angle (Big 12) is the correct one; however, we were sending a message in general to WVa fans and other future opponents in general that is won't be as easy as they think to beat us. :D The rough start for UL this year had many putting the season in the drain.

The offense finally woke up. They aren't great yet, they aren't excellent yet or anywhere near it; but, they finally woke up from a long night's 5 game sleep. :wink:

Coach Charlie Stong has coached up a team with a lot of freshmen to decent status. If he stays a few years and gets recruiting classes like his first one, it will be quite interesting again to watch Louisville play. Next year should see another gain back up the ladder when these players are sophmores and more good ones are coming in.

The conference landscape is certainly a strange one to me; maybe a bit like walking through a knee deep swamp and wondering where any deep spots are; or, dangerous wildlife. And, everything changes week to week.

Reports on WVa's normally rabid fans by UL people say it wasn't bad as usual. But, I suspect some Big 12 fans will have a new experience when visiting WVa (and the burning couches might be the least of it). :mrgreen: Read reports by visiting LSU fans on Morgantown. :wink:

have fun & Go Cards,
Swamp Daddy
visit: http://thecrunchzone.com/ for news
site moved to: http://cardinalforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1 for discussions

generic university site is: http://www.gocards.com/

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:37 pm

It was WVU's pretty lackadaisical defense again. If the Eers had a defense to match their offense, they'd be undefeated.

WVU put up 500 yards on LSU (makes you wonder) and even in their losses made huge yards. Another 531 yards in their loss to Louisville (to the Cards 351).
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:34 pm

billybud wrote:It was WVU's pretty lackadaisical defense again. If the Eers had a defense to match their offense, they'd be undefeated.

WVU put up 500 yards on LSU (makes you wonder) and even in their losses made huge yards. Another 531 yards in their loss to Louisville (to the Cards 351).

Dang. Didn't know that. 500 yards against LSU?

I hope Richt watches that game and their play calling copies it.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:09 pm

LSU's defense is aggressive. The option works very well against an aggressive defense.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

wvjohn
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby wvjohn » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:16 am

strawman wrote:Do you think Louisville was sending a message to the Big 12 with that win over WVU?

WVU
No UL got the win from the WVU D.. D is bad.

Swamp Daddy wrote
I don't think that angle (Big 12) is the correct one; however, we were sending a message in general to WVa fans and other future opponents in general that is won't be as easy as they think to beat us. The rough start for UL this year had many putting the season in the drain.
Reports on WVa's normally rabid fans by UL people say it wasn't bad as usual. But, I suspect some Big 12 fans will have a new experience when visiting WVa (and the burning couches might be the least of it). Read reports by visiting LSU fans on Morgantown.

WVU
As usuall UL fans cain't stand that WVU OWNS them 11-3. I have been to every game against UL since they joined the BE and it gets blowen up every time and it usually comes from UL not all the time but 85% of the time. Everyone has bad (drunk) fans (mostly students) and trust me UL dose to.

billybud wrote
It was WVU's pretty lackadaisical defense again. If the Eers had a defense to match their offense, they'd be undefeated.

WVU
I totally agree the D is horrible and needs new D Cord.
Big 12

FEAR NONE RESPECT ALL

IT IS A GREAT DAY TO BE A MOUNTAINEER WHERE EVER YOU MAY BE

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:49 am

bb and WVU are on it! It is killing me to watch (or not watch) this Defense. We are talking about the only ray of light in the Big East for years! And I want answers! They are almost not even moving pre-snap on D! The 3-3-5 minus all of the aggression and mixed up looks is just some Don Nehlen era offspring, a funky prevent! With the old D, LSU might have won because of Special Teams woes at that time. They would have crushed every one since Bowling Green if the D was right.

I am speculating, but I lean towards Holgerson demanding the D to play middling and not "gamble." Me, I miss getting 2 or 3 INTs on the opponent's 6 or 7 excursions inside the 35. And holding to 2 or 3 FGs on 4 or 5 tries. The INT's and sacks just ripped the hearts out of opponents...even though the blitzing would often give up 3 to 5 big (even huge) plays a game!

For me, the higher octane Offense is even more reason to do this....NOT a good reason for not doing it!
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:13 am

Derek...it was like 530 yards. And Ga can do much of what they did!

Spence...the option is not used like it was in the past...rarely now. Passing to the short porches and hitting the slot for middle yards and over the top (with slants and 9's deep too) is where WVU did its damage. (LSU does some things similar to the old WVU D...pressure the edges, stunt in the DT area. With changing angles and blitzers...the attack point is denoted by one key thing....pressure on the edges contains speed to the middle field and translates to QB pressure on drop backs.....very simple really.)

Also (Derek) the O-line dominated on pass blocking...the Tigers couldn't get there. I was absolutely shocked by this. This is one thing Holgy does well...the pass blocking scheme is very good. But they do it better the more unbalanced they are towards the pass...must be a rhythm thing!

Additionally, WVU's best WR hardly plays...like the Defense (victim of the new male Lion's territorial spraying) Starks only gets a few plays a game on Offense. He gets a catch and then you don't really see him anymore. He had an "attitude problem!" If he was really allowed to play then there would be 500+ passing yards a game...no D could possibly contain Starks, Austin, Bailey, and McCartney...it just can't be done with 2.5 seconds and more of blocking.

DH needs to realize a few things.
1) You have male patterned baldness...fix...cut your hair!
2) If a kid has an attitude, sit him or cut him. If you play him...then really play him and let him play!
3) You don't know John Jacob Jingleheimer$h1t about running a D, let alone a 3-3-5. Hands Off the D!
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:21 pm

What WVU has lost on defense is...ATTITUDE.

No emotion, no fire...no swagger.

I want a defense to attack, to jump around, swarm to the ball, be there firstest and with a bad attitude when you arrive, maybe pick up a penalty or two for being over aggressive, maybe even show some swagger.

I don't like a read and react defense. Big cushions against receivers, linebackers just waiting in gaps without blitzing, rushing three and dropping eight, or other passive defenses. A defense should not be passive. A defense should be fearsome and be pushing the other team into movement penalties.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:35 pm

billybud wrote:What WVU has lost on defense is...ATTITUDE.

No emotion, no fire...no swagger.

I want a defense to attack, to jump around, swarm to the ball, be there firstest and with a bad attitude when you arrive, maybe pick up a penalty or two for being over aggressive, maybe even show some swagger.

I don't like a read and react defense. Big cushions against receivers, linebackers just waiting in gaps without blitzing, rushing three and dropping eight, or other passive defenses. A defense should not be passive. A defense should be fearsome and be pushing the other team into movement penalties.

There is a lot to that. Attitude the second most important thing next to talent. The same is true of the offensive line.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:39 pm

I think what is missing from a lot of teams on defense is attitude but what I think is missing the most are fundamentals. Lombardi, oft quoted, said, "Some people try to find things in this game that don't exist but football is only two things - blocking and tackling."

Solid blocks, wrap up tackling. Small guys tackle big guys because they are faster and can wrap up the knees. Nobody runs when you can't move your legs. We see all these penalties for high tackles...because they do not get back to basics. Same with blocking. By golly with Mr. Billybud was being coached by Alonzo Stagg..he taught him basics...

Problem is, basics are not the flamboyant and ESPN like flamboyancy.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:19 pm

Fundamentals have been missing for a long time. Guys want that big highlight hit instead of a sound wrap and tackle. I watched a kid from Ohio State get beat for a touchdown by playing the ball instead of his man. Playing for the highlight reel.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:10 pm

Wofford can play "basics" football. Good blocking and tackling. And not beat a flamboyant FSU squad that knocks the slobber off of you but doesn't always text book tackle.

Despite all the platitudes of Lombardi, et al, it is the talent on the field not the basics that win the game.

Speed, size, athletic ability. Give me a 4.4 260 pound linebacker who isn't picture perfect on tackles over a 200 pound 4.8 guy that can wrap up.

I love all of the quotes...but when Lombardi had Ray Nitsche. Lee Roy Caffee, and Dave Robinson starting at linebacker, he had bad boys who eschewed form for killer instinct and vicious hits.

Ray Nitschke and Dick Butkus both playing MLB in the same years...what games those were. No finesse, no worry about basics and wrapping up...just pure naked aggression and athleticism.

I like that style...Mickey Andrews liked that style and I think Stoops (FSU DC) does as well. You miss a few tackles but the impact of your aggression feeds the emotional side of a defensive team.

As I have posted before, my favorite moment was a cold Halloween night in Virginia. The camera focuses on Sterling Palmer as he gets in position. He wears a Darth Vader dark shield and twin plumes of steamy breath are exploding out from under the shield like an angry mechanical steam bull. The announcers note that he looks Halloween scary. The camera closes in tight on Sterling just before the snap. You see a wicked leer and see the lips form words.."trick or treat, M----F..er"...the ball is snapped and he blasts the tackle into the backfield. In the background you hear the laughter of the game announcers as they say..."I think he just said 'nice to meet ya' ".

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:49 pm

A 200lb guy shouldn't be a linebacker. I do agree that there is something to style, but Mickey Andrews linebackers were fundamentally sound. They took some chances that can make a coach cringe if they miss, but there was nothing wrong with them fundamentally. Mickey Andrews IMO put together some of the finest back seven's that were ever assembled in CFB.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:07 pm

Mr. Billybdu, no one is suggesting you all American super player is not of some value....but your iconic hero Bobby Bowden was one of the great fundamental teachers..despite the your disdain your platitudes of Lombardi et al.

Bobby Bowden: Receivers.

This program teaches the fundamental techniques, drills and championship philosophy. Learn how to improve your technique and learn from one of the legends of the game. Bobby Bowden has directed the Florida State Seminoles for the past 27 years. He led the Seminoles to the National Championship in 1993 and 1999. Bowden is the nations 2nd winningest active coach with 323 wins and ranks 5th all time in Division 1-A.

But wait...there's more!
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Return to “General Discussion”