WVU to the Big 12

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
wvjohn
Coordinator
Coordinator

WVU to the Big 12

Postby wvjohn » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:49 pm

Offical coming tomarrow per ESPN
Big 12

FEAR NONE RESPECT ALL

IT IS A GREAT DAY TO BE A MOUNTAINEER WHERE EVER YOU MAY BE

wvjohn
Coordinator
Coordinator

Re: WVU to the Big 12

Postby wvjohn » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:51 pm

I think its the end of the BE or as AQ Conf.

what u think bout the move and all the rest
I think good move for WVU still in AQC.
Big 12

FEAR NONE RESPECT ALL

IT IS A GREAT DAY TO BE A MOUNTAINEER WHERE EVER YOU MAY BE

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:01 pm

WVU wrote:I think its the end of the BE or as AQ Conf.

It is a good move for WVU if the B-12 survives. If they don't, the SEC would have been a better move.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

GoBoilers
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby GoBoilers » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:24 pm

We just need to cut to the chase. These 1500+ travel mile conferences are for the birds. Let's get it over and establish 4-16 team or better yet 5-14 team poweer conferences. Base it on something defineable like attendance which has some correlation with TV being alumni related. That makes a way for someone else to come in a nd replace or re-align every 2 years. There has to be a way to do it.
The preceding statements are solely the opinion of GoBoilers and are, therefore, probably not based whatsoever on fact, research or more time in thought than what was required to physically type them. They're probably correct anyway, so you shouldn't argue too much, because otherwise he'll just blather on forever. On the internet Al Gore invented.

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:04 pm

Spence wrote:
WVU wrote:I think its the end of the BE or as AQ Conf.

It is a good move for WVU if the B-12 survives. If they don't, the SEC would have been a better move.

If WVU waited on the SEC they could have been screwed. Some have been too patient in all of this! I was saying when ESPN ran the news that WVU was going if Mizz went to the SEC that the Big 12 was stupid not to take them now and get a few more teams while the taking was good.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:32 pm

I'm not saying it is a bad move for West Virginia. I just think they may have jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:45 pm

If any of these moves are good for any school it be because of pot luck. No thought, no planning, no nothing..just a crap shoot because you are afraid somebody is going to get something and you will not....well you can not run a country or your life on that basis....and you certainly can not run a university. And Boise State is no exception..and look where that landed them...They regressed in SOS, money, TV exposure. Pathetic.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:58 pm

donovan wrote:If any of these moves are good for any school it be because of pot luck. No thought, no planning, no nothing..just a crap shoot because you are afraid somebody is going to get something and you will not....well you can not run a country or your life on that basis....and you certainly can not run a university. And Boise State is no exception..and look where that landed them...They regressed in SOS, money, TV exposure. Pathetic.

That is exactly right. Everyone is trying not to be on the outside looking in. Why is it that way? Well because the schools are on there own. Where is this wise governing body(the NCAA) trying to catch some kid getting his lunch for free.

This kind of thing would be a perfect job for the NCAA. Of course they don't say a single word about the conferences falling apart.

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:55 am

It would be awesome for the NCAA to call a moratorium on relocating conferences. Granted I have no idea how the process works, but we need some stability :lol:

I've never understood the geography of this either. The closest campus to Morgantown is Iowa State in Ames (which I think is 870 miles). I expect the Big 12 to either add Cincinnati, Memphis, or Louisville to give them a couple closer opponents.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:02 am

Eric wrote:It would be awesome for the NCAA to call a moratorium on relocating conferences. Granted I have no idea how the process works, but we need some stability :lol:

I've never understood the geography of this either. The closest campus to Morgantown is Iowa State in Ames (which I think is 870 miles). I expect the Big 12 to either add Cincinnati, Memphis, or Louisville to give them a couple closer opponents.

If the NCAA was really going to act like a governing body, they would call the groups together and create some equity in the league. This Helter Skelter thing is not good for the schools. West Virginia's closest home game should not be Kansas State.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:02 pm

I. personally, don't like the idea of having free enterprise compromised. If certain institutions wish to lump their sports team together, so be it.

I do not want a body telling Notre Dame that they must join an all sports conference, telling Penn State that they are a better fit for the east than a midwestern league and telling Nebraska to scoot back to a conference of plains states. Arkansas and Mizzouri have no business in a conference labeled Southestern..etc.

We would still have the old Southern Conference with 23 schools if no one allowed fluidity.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:44 pm

billybud wrote:I. personally, don't like the idea of having free enterprise compromised. If certain institutions wish to lump their sports team together, so be it.

I do not want a body telling Notre Dame that they must join an all sports conference, telling Penn State that they are a better fit for the east than a midwestern league and telling Nebraska to scoot back to a conference of plains states. Arkansas and Mizzouri have no business in a conference labeled Southestern..etc.

We would still have the old Southern Conference with 23 schools if no one allowed fluidity.

They have already are member institutions of the NCAA. There enterprise is a monopoly, subject to antitrust laws. I guess they could form under a different governing body or no governing body, but that would be a change from the status quo. The only difference would be a change of rules to prevent moving around and the NCAA negotiating the contral TV contract like they do with basketball. Nothing about the way public schools do business has anything to do with the free market system or free enterprise.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:16 pm

The Supreme Court already ruled against the NCAA controlling TV contracts...controlling the forming of conferences is just more of the same...

If you remember, it used to be that TV contracted with the NCAA, who mparcelled out the money....

It's a no go...The NCAA is a monopoly...individual conferences are not. They are free to add or subtract members and contract with the media as the market will bear.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:01 pm

I didn't know the NCAA didn't control Basketball money. I thought they did.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:45 pm

I still think the university athletic programs are in need of their Judge Landis.

Return to “General Discussion”