Winners and Losers Week 8

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Winners and Losers Week 8

Postby donovan » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:04 pm

Winner Florida State over Maryland - For a team that was about 100th in rushing in the nation they put up 280 some yards on the ground. Their defense was good. I think FSU came to life this weekend. Was a good solid win.

<-> Boise State over Air Force - Was not a good game for BSU. Their defense was confused and only was in it 8 yards later. They can run with the big boys, but you can not improve your non scoring support with mediocre performances.

Loser - Oklahoma - They were beat by not only on the scoreboard but statistically. They drop big.

Winner - Houston. They beat Marshall soundly on a very evenly played game for all 4 quarters.

Winner - Clemson Put up good offensive battle, defense was not quite as strong...but they improved.

Loser - Most every West Coast team - It doesn't matter what any team in the PAC 10 does..they are mediocre and absolutely no style points. They gave up all of their integrity by buying into this conference shuffle...and never could see they were a pawn that was sacrificed on the first move.

Loser - The fans...every week individual games become less and less important. Wait until rivalry day comes and see how many have gone by the wayside.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Winners and Losers Week 8

Postby Spence » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:51 pm

Ohio State was a winner this week cause they had absolutely no chance of losing. Next week is a different story. They will move back to the losers catagory.

The new coach is introduced during the basketball game with Duke. I am not a fan.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:45 pm

donovan wrote: It doesn't matter what any team in the PAC 10 does..they are mediocre and absolutely no style points.

I dunno; Stanford & Oregon seemed to dazzle as usual . . . however, all of that pizazz can quickly become a sparkling disaster crashing into a brick wall, on a day when your offense is nothing more than a feather under a cap.

Most birds flop to the ground when they see only the prize but not the surface in front of them, Cardinals & Ducks included.

One Minute you're gliding along, then --- *Thump!* --- someone like LSU slam-bangs a glass door in your face . . . Ouch! (where did that come from?!)

Watching Stanford roll Washington was . . . typical.

Close to the hip, then 30 points ahead; after having given up 20+.

Typical, because there seems to be a whole Pac of offensive programs hovering around the Western seaboard. I will acknowledge USC holding ND below their normal scoring average. But one game does not make a season. And if your team is ineligible for post season play, then conference wise, it is only relevant in the event one of your peers defeats you. (something otherwise counter productive to you own cause)

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Vileborg
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Vileborg » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:27 am

Notre Dame looked like a better team but just kept making mistakes too major to overcome. Dane Crist came in for a series and promptly fumbled the ball inside USC's ten which USC ran back for 7.

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:36 pm

Vileborg wrote:Notre Dame looked like a better team but just kept making mistakes too major to overcome. Dane Crist came in for a series and promptly fumbled the ball inside USC's ten which USC ran back for 7.
ND is now the best 3 loss team. I don't think they can make the championship game.
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:18 pm

If three loss ND was playing three loss FSU next weekend..I'd take the Noles...and I am not particularly bullish on the Noles.
Last edited by billybud on Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:27 pm

billybud wrote:If three loss ND was playing three loss FSU next weekend..I'd take the Noles...and I am not particuylarly bullish on the Noles.
I think you are right, ND is the second best three loss team. My guess is the Lou Holtz might not agree with that.
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:41 pm

billybud wrote:If three loss ND was playing three loss FSU next weekend..I'd take the Noles...and I am not particularly bullish on the Noles.

I agree. Notre Dame has talent, but fundamentally they are terrible. Florida State just looks to be missing some pieces. You can recruit pieces, but if you aren't fundamentally sound, you will never be a great football team.

Grayghost
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Grayghost » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:02 pm

The Pac 12 is down regardless of Oregon and Stanford. USC being on probation doesn't help. Adding Utah and Colorado has not made the big splash it was intended to make. Granted, I don't think anyone in the Pac 12 expected much from Colorado this year, or for the next several, but I think they expected something more out of Utah. Arizona St. and Washington are the only other semi-respectable Pac 12 teams, but put them up against the top 2, Oregon and Stanford, and they are clearly shown to be second tier. Everyone else is just hoping to pick up some bowl scraps, and I am not sure anyone else is much deserving.

The Mountain West is 1. Boise St., distant 2. TCU...and everybody else. San Diego St. and Wyoming may make bowls, but that in itself is not impressive.

The WAC just sucks. Utah State just baffles me. Everyone of their losses, except for a 10pt loss to Fresno, has been by a touchdown or less, and they only have 2 wins to show for all their hard work. Nevada and Hawaii lead the pac...but that is not saying much.

The only western indy...BYU...is 6-2 but they haven't beaten anyone worth mentioning. Thier only "tough" game left is against TCU, with games left agains Idaho, New Mexico St., and Hawaii...not what you would call a murderers row of competition.

Yes...overall, it is a down year for the west.
I dont care who wins as long as Notre Dame loses!

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:46 am

Spence wrote:
billybud wrote:If three loss ND was playing three loss FSU next weekend..I'd take the Noles...and I am not particularly bullish on the Noles.

I agree. Notre Dame has talent, but fundamentally they are terrible. Florida State just looks to be missing some pieces. You can recruit pieces, but if you aren't fundamentally sound, you will never be a great football team.

FSU did lose three games by a combined 20 points..Oklahoma and Clemson were good, Wake isn't that bad. But FSU did not have Manuel in at QB after his 2nd qtr injury in the Oklahoma game. Playing a freshman QB made a huge difference. With Manuel back for the Maryland game, it was a different game (161 passing yards in the first quarter).

The team is 14 points better, or more, with Manuel taking snaps.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:51 am

For reasons only this board has evoked, I have followed the Seminoles more closely than I ever have...(along with other board member's teams; I even follow Arkansas more closely) and I think FSU is a solid team. They have endured a lot of key player injuries, e.g. Ponder, Manuel, but it looks with Manuel running the show, they will come into contention. Their running game will come back, already started, now there is an option for the defense to worry about.

(By the way, Ponder is going to be a good NFL QB... Last Sunday's performance, despite the loss, was encouraging...he is a smart guy that moved the ball down field, even with not a great passing performance....except where it counted. )
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:02 am

billybud wrote:
Spence wrote:

FSU did lose three games by a combined 20 points..Oklahoma and Clemson were good, Wake isn't that bad. But FSU did not have Manuel in at QB after his 2nd qtr injury in the Oklahoma game. Playing a freshman QB made a huge difference. With Manuel back for the Maryland game, it was a different game (161 passing yards in the first quarter).

The team is 14 points better, or more, with Manuel taking snaps.

Which was my point. Missing pieces. Notre Dame isn't missing pieces. They aren't fundamentally sound. It may be learning a different system, but they aren't as good as their talent says they are at this point.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:16 pm

I have never seen the Noles as hurt as they are this year...

Every offensive lineman is in a different position from where they started the season...the senior O linemen, Datko and Spurlock may be out for the season and the Noles are starting a true freshman (Bobby Hart) who turned 17 in August (ain't that something?). Orelus is out (concussion).

The two wide receivers with the most catches coming into the season have been out most of the season (and one may not return) with severe concussions...this year's top receiver, Rashad Greene, is out with an ankle and WR Gehre is out for season (knee).

McCray , Cummings and McDaniel at DT are out with a broken leg, knee injury, and broken hand

Last year's starting RB, Chris Thompson, is out for the season with a broken back...

QB Manuel has missed several games and is nursing a left shoulder separation...(he's a righty).

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:33 pm

billybud wrote:I have never seen the Noles as hurt as they are this year...

Every offensive lineman is in a different position from where they started the season...the senior O linemen, Datko and Spurlock may be out for the season and the Noles are starting a true freshman (Bobby Hart) who turned 17 in August (ain't that something?). Orelus is out (concussion).

The two wide receivers with the most catches coming into the season have been out most of the season (and one may not return) with severe concussions...this year's top receiver, Rashad Greene, is out with an ankle and WR Gehre is out for season (knee).

McCray , Cummings and McDaniel at DT are out with a broken leg, knee injury, and broken hand

Last year's starting RB, Chris Thompson, is out for the season with a broken back...

QB Manuel has missed several games and is nursing a left shoulder separation...(he's a righty).

Ohio State is missing lots of guys too................................they aren't hurt.....................................they are making us hurt. :lol:

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:54 pm

1) Loser of the week....they don't come any bigger than WVU!

Razor has ND as the best 3-Loss team, I won't contend that. But I will cheer them on in hopes of them being the best 4, 5, and 6 loss team! Go Irish!
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Return to “General Discussion”