West Coast Edition: Boise State vs Utah

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

West Coast Edition: Boise State vs Utah

Postby donovan » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:28 pm

Utah has nothing to lose, always dangerous for an untested team.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: West Coast Edition: Boise State vs Utah

Postby billybud » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:59 pm

I suspect that it will be a 17-20 point game.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:12 pm

I think the score will be what Boise State wants it to be. They are my 35 pt team.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

silverfox
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby silverfox » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:01 am

Dangerous team. yes.

However, in retrospect I believe that the PAC 10 should have focused on Boise State rather than Utah in their recruitment effort. Of course that would be an embarrassing development if BSU were to be a formidable foe for next year during first year membership. I am assuming the Broncos will spank Utah for vacating the MWC just as they were coming in. I'm thinking Coach P will "let them play" because most of the team was benched during most of third and fourth quarters throughout the year.
Win or Lose - IT'S HOW YOU HYPE THE OUTCOME! BCS logic: When teams in the AQ conferences lose, it shows how tough those conferences are; when teams in non-AQ conferences lose, it is weakness.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:36 am

I understand what you are saying about the PAC 10 if football was the only issue. But there are so many criteria...that at least formerly were used. One of the requirements use to be for the PAC 10 is they had to be a research school. Utah certainly meets the requirements and I think they will do well there. They will not be a bottom dweller. There is more parity, in my opinion over a ten year span in the PAC 10 than any other major conference. Having said that, I think Boise is shooting themselves in the hoof with their illusions. I do not think they have improved their position one iota. Anyone that thinks, even if they continue their winning ways, the past criticism will not continue is, is not on my same page. Those in the "elitist" status, do not want change. Like all in power, they want to maintain the status quo. You really think the East, South and ESPN care one jot or tittle about anybody or anything thing other than their own self anointed grandeur?

Boise State 43 Utah 21

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:17 am

Looking forward to being able to watch Boise State. I will not watch a game played on that blue turf. I tried in the Humanitarian Bowl, but changed to college basketball, as it was just too hard on my eyes. The red turf is even worse.

I also think Boise will win this easily.

If Boise State had not lost to Nevada, do you think they would have matched them up against TCU again in a BCS bowl. I am also looking forward to the Rose Bowl to see how TCU does against Wisconsin. The folks in Vegas expect the Horned Frogs to do quite well, as they are currently a 2 1/2 to 3 point favorite over the Badgers. I don't see it that way, but they usually know what they are doing, when setting the betting lines.
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

silverfox
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby silverfox » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:36 am

I too, believe the Badgers will win.
Win or Lose - IT'S HOW YOU HYPE THE OUTCOME! BCS logic: When teams in the AQ conferences lose, it shows how tough those conferences are; when teams in non-AQ conferences lose, it is weakness.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:58 am

I am with you on the blue turf on TV. What I do not understand is that when they have replays, the blue turf does not reflect it is not much differently than watching a game on green. The turf company replaced the blue this year to help that situation and it made it better but not that great. I think the TCU game will be close. So do most betters, hence the 2 1/2 point margin.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:29 am

RazorHawk wrote:Looking forward to being able to watch Boise State. I will not watch a game played on that blue turf. I tried in the Humanitarian Bowl, but changed to college basketball, as it was just too hard on my eyes. The red turf is even worse.

I also think Boise will win this easily.

If Boise State had not lost to Nevada, do you think they would have matched them up against TCU again in a BCS bowl. I am also looking forward to the Rose Bowl to see how TCU does against Wisconsin. The folks in Vegas expect the Horned Frogs to do quite well, as they are currently a 2 1/2 to 3 point favorite over the Badgers. I don't see it that way, but they usually know what they are doing, when setting the betting lines.

The red is really bad. I watch that Villinova playoff game a couple weeks ago and didn't make it through the first quarter.

TCU may do well against Wisky. Wisconsin has a huge oline and a QB that is very efficient. They can get in trouble on defense if you can stretch them out. TCU has a good defense, so the match up in the trenches will be key. It is hard to compare teams with little to no common opponents, but I think Wisconsin's offensive line will wear on TCU and Wisky will pull away in the second half.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:25 pm

I have not had, as y'all are aware, much faith in Utah all year.

If they keep within three TD's of Boise, I'll give them a big "M"....for a moral victory.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

GoBoilers
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby GoBoilers » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:11 pm

This game is one of my "must watch" partly because its the "MAACO bowl" but, more importantly it will give everyone a chance to re-evaluate how good these teams really are or not! I still see Boise a 17 to 21 point favorite! Oh, the "MAACO" reason is s spoof! What a name, almost as good as that "furniture bowl" a few years ago. How about a "chewing gum" bowl or something else ludicrous!
The preceding statements are solely the opinion of GoBoilers and are, therefore, probably not based whatsoever on fact, research or more time in thought than what was required to physically type them. They're probably correct anyway, so you shouldn't argue too much, because otherwise he'll just blather on forever. On the internet Al Gore invented.

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:55 pm

So far the bowl games have not been very good. If any of these matchups were scheduled during the season when conference play was going on, I don't think I would have viewed a minute of any of the games. But in Bowl season, they get the spotlight, so they probably get a few viewers.

If a playoff would mean the end to these type bowls, I don't think anyone would really care. I can't believe the participants are making big money by playing in these, in fact, they probably are losing money or breaking even, at best.
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:35 am

Was not a great game..but best one on TV tonight. Boise just tired them down. Utah did not look good. BB was right.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:40 am

Boise State is still a fun team to watch. They play every down. I like to see that kind of football.

silverfox
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby silverfox » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:15 am

The PAC 12 must be throwing up their oats. They made invitation to the wrong team. Good game but not the best performance by either team. Boise State and Kellen Moore had control the entire session. Could have been a blow-out but obviously Coach P. is still a gentleman and does not rub it in. He just let them play and have fun before the real tension starts for next season. Look for Boise State to advance in post season polls and also high ranking in next year's pre-season polls. If i was Pac 12 I would be wondering and concentrating on a way to attract the broncos even if it means throwing away one of the other recruits (like Utah)...money is money and Boise State is the future. Kellen is Senior next year and maybe the Heismann kid for 2011 as most think Cam will opt for the draft (before the prosecutors from Justice move in).

Return to “General Discussion”