sCam Newton

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: sCam Newton

Postby Spence » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:44 pm

"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:29 pm

The ESPN report today said that Auburn ruled Cam ineligible to play yesterday. Why did they do this? Do they know something that has not been told to us? I find it fishy that story was not reported yesterday and then 24 hours later the NCAA rules him eligible. And what happened with the phone call where Cam said his dad chose Auburn cause the money was too good....that is what Miss St claimed he said when he called and said he would not be attending school there.

Now all kids will simply say I didn't know.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

GoBoilers
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby GoBoilers » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:45 am

Just had breakfast with guys that I see once or twice a week and the conversation swung to CF and Newton. One of the guys know the coach at Blinn JC in Texas where Newton played. He had said there were always a strange number of people checking in weekly to watch Newton. He knew some were college recruiters but not all.
The preceding statements are solely the opinion of GoBoilers and are, therefore, probably not based whatsoever on fact, research or more time in thought than what was required to physically type them. They're probably correct anyway, so you shouldn't argue too much, because otherwise he'll just blather on forever. On the internet Al Gore invented.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:25 pm

Kinda says it all doesn't it??

My guess is that if Auburn isn't in a position to win the national title, the NCAA would have suspended Newton for a game or two, but the stakes were just too big -- especially considering undefeated Auburn got jobbed out of playing for the national title by the BCS system only six years ago.

Just beyond disgusting.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:59 pm

Boy they are livid in Southern Cal over this ruling. They can't believe that USC got wins vacated, NC stripped, no bowl for 2 years, and loss of 30 scholarships spread over 3 years. And Newton was ruled ineligible for ONE DAY!

I have not read the whole NCAA investigation on Reggie Bush but according to the local ESPN guys this is how it went down. Reggie Bush's step dad made a deal with an agent...you give me and my wife a 200,000 house and I will make sure Reggie signs with you after he is finished with college football. According to them, Reggie's step dad made this arrangement without Reggie's knowledge. When Reggie found out he refused to sign with the agent. Wow...this story sounds similar to the Cam Newton case. Dad goes after money or property without the athlete knowing (supposedly in both cases) and Auburn gets away with it and Reggie and USC does not.

The one difference is they have not found a money trail yet with Cecil Newton and in the Bush case they had a house. However, the SEC/NCAA bylaws make this very clear (I posted it word for word above). Actually money does not ever have to change hands. It says accept or agree to accept. By soliciting you are agreeing to accept. You just have to find someone willing to give it too you. It also makes it clear if you or anyone in your family accepts or agrees to accept then you are ruled ineligible for life.

I want to know what Cecil told Cam when he said you can not play for Miss State you have to play for Auburn. Cam was dead set on playing for Mullen and Miss State...and at the last minute changed his mind before signing day.

It just blows my mind that Cam is eligible to play....the SEC/NCAA are clearly not following their won rules.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

silverfox
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby silverfox » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:08 pm

That is why --a Justice Department investigation into BCS and NCAA will probably take place for racketeering and other antitrust considerations. The entire system is corrupt. This move all but pushes Playoffs into the picture -- right or wrong.

You can't have it both ways. This is one of the reasons the FBI is on this case. Remember, Justice Department calls the shots -- FBI investigates and turns over findings for review.
Win or Lose - IT'S HOW YOU HYPE THE OUTCOME! BCS logic: When teams in the AQ conferences lose, it shows how tough those conferences are; when teams in non-AQ conferences lose, it is weakness.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:17 pm

silverfox wrote:That is why --a Justice Department investigation into BCS and NCAA will probably take place for racketeering and other antitrust considerations. The entire system is corrupt. This move all but pushes Playoffs into the picture -- right or wrong.

You can't have it both ways. This is one of the reasons the FBI is on this case. Remember, Justice Department calls the shots -- FBI investigates and turns over findings for review.

I still have my doubts that a playoff will happen given the amount of college presidents against it. I think it may go back to the old bowl system. Everyone gets their bowl tie ins and they play and 32 teams go home happy thinking they are number 1 and boosters are righting big checks for the experience.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:21 pm

I don't think the final decision on the Cam Newton deal will happen until all the information is discovered and fully processed. The Reggie Bush decision came years after the fact, and very likely this situation will also not be finalized for some time.

Much of the information is simply someone saying this is what was said. Not really enough from that to make an instant decision.

Do I think there been rules broken? I sure do, but that is not enough to just suspect rules have been broken. I am sure some lawyers will make some money from this.
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

GoBoilers
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby GoBoilers » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:36 pm

RazorHawk wrote:I don't think the final decision on the Cam Newton deal will happen until all the information is discovered and fully processed. The Reggie Bush decision came years after the fact, and very likely this situation will also not be finalized for some time.

Much of the information is simply someone saying this is what was said. Not really enough from that to make an instant decision.

Do I think there been rules broken? I sure do, but that is not enough to just suspect rules have been broken. I am sure some lawyers will make some money from this.

I am going back to law school to learn how to be white collar crook!
The preceding statements are solely the opinion of GoBoilers and are, therefore, probably not based whatsoever on fact, research or more time in thought than what was required to physically type them. They're probably correct anyway, so you shouldn't argue too much, because otherwise he'll just blather on forever. On the internet Al Gore invented.

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:49 pm

RazorHawk wrote:I don't think the final decision on the Cam Newton deal will happen until all the information is discovered and fully processed. The Reggie Bush decision came years after the fact, and very likely this situation will also not be finalized for some time.

But it's not just speculation now. They came out and said Cecil solicited money (agreeing for payment). By the bylaws this makes Cam ineligible for life. The NCAA is simply not follwing their own rules. I am with you in that this is not over. In a few years Auburn will be punished, wins vacated, Heisman trophy returned, Scholarships lost, no bowls, and Cam making millions in the NFL...all while Auburn players not on the current team will be in the same situation as thecurrent USC players are facing.

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:37 am

On one of the boards that I frequent a lawyer chimed in to define agreement as needing two parties to agree. Since Miss St did not agree then there was not an agreement to accept money. I think everything is being done to delay any decision until after the BCS National Championship game.

This sure does make the NCAA look very bad. But the due process afforded by law, will prevent from any immediate decision, I think.
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:17 am

That may be the definition of an agreement....but crimes can be committed by only one party. The question is...if it is just a violation of NCAA rules...then they can do whatever they want...and that of course is not clear. If is was breaking a law, then the NCAA is not in charge. I doubt it broke a law. Emmert cleaned up the UW. Made some tough calls, Willingham was one of them..I believe he would have stayed with Willingham....but no wins was just too much. I think he will make changes. From his statement he does not like the decision but the only one that could be made. Will it change later, who knows. Do I think the rules will be change..yes, from what he says. I am not a NCAA fan, but I know Emmert takes decisive action and makes tough decisions. He quietly and behind the scenes throttled the UW boosters from their shenanigans. I assume he will be doing the same at NCAA. The fact they made some decision was better than most of their past actions.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:23 pm

Two things...

1...show me any NCAA reg that makes a player ineleigible if, unknown to the player, their parent seeks money. There isn't any. Cam is getting by the NCAA because the NCAA can not prove that Cam himself was involved nor Auburn. All transactions that have been verified were between representatives of Cecil Newton and MSU.

The relevant NCAA bylaw governing a prospective athlete is as follows (quoting from the NCAA rulebook):

10.1 Unethical Conduct

Unethical conduct by a prospective or enrolled student-athlete or a current or former institutional staff member
(e.g., coach, professor, tutor, teaching assistant, student manager, student trainer) may include, but is not limited
to, the following:

(c) Knowing involvement in offering or providing a prospective or an enrolled student-athlete an improper inducement
or extra benefit or improper financial aid;

Violations of 10.1 are enforced as follows:

10.4 Disciplinary Action

Prospective or enrolled student-athletes found in violation of the provisions of this regulation shall be ineligible
for further intercollegiate competition, subject to appeal to the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement for
restoration of eligibility.

The "knowing involvement" has not been proven of Cam.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:28 pm

Now...SEC guys are pointing to the NCAA...

but MAYBE THE SEC ISN'T ENFORCING IT'S BYLAWS (which it is not, probably so as to keep Auburn in the NC game). The SEC is managing this whole caper.

SEC Bylaw 14.01.3.2
14.01.3.2 Financial Aid.
If at any time before or after matriculation in a member institution a student-athlete or any member of his/her family receives or agrees to receive, directly or indirectly, any aid or assistance beyond or in addition to that permitted by the Bylaws of this Conference (except such aid or assistance as such student-athlete may receive from those persons on whom the student is naturally or legally dependent for support), such student-athlete shall be ineligible for competition in any intercollegiate sport within the Conference for the remainder of his/her college career.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:30 pm

And, finally...a pretty good explanation about how everybody has worked to find a loophole for Cam...

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/b ... ng-content

Return to “General Discussion”