This is what collegiate football should be all about...

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
silverfox
Coordinator
Coordinator

This is what collegiate football should be all about...

Postby silverfox » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:59 am

Despite all the nastiness of the BCS AQ vs. non-Aq...Despite the nastiness of NCAA investigations, et al, there is a beacon of light that stands out.

I don't care what conference you root for, what side of any argument you might take -- the fact is that these football teams and their coaches are human beings and what they do touches the lives of many folks around them -- some more than others.

You don't have to be a Boise State fan to appreciate the message here -- just read and enjoy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=5774990
http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/11/06/1408413/wish-comes-true-on-the-blue.html
Last edited by silverfox on Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Win or Lose - IT'S HOW YOU HYPE THE OUTCOME! BCS logic: When teams in the AQ conferences lose, it shows how tough those conferences are; when teams in non-AQ conferences lose, it is weakness.

Eric

Re: This is what collegiate football should be all about...

Postby Eric » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:06 am

That's what I've always liked about the Boise program in general. The BCS talk is just distraction to this team. They seem concentrated on winning and becoming the best football program they can be on and off the field. Gotta like that.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:15 am

Great story silverfox.

Here is one you will like as well...from Arkansas. This kid has been to several Ark practices, games, and has got to hang out with the coaches and team several times. A very sick kid and this was his dream. I am glad Petrino allowed it to comes true.
http://blogs.nwaonline.com/slophouse/20 ... omes-true/

And then there is the Brandon Burlsworth story out of Arkansas. Ark lineman...all american lineman, drafted by the Colts and then dies in a car accident before his first NFL season started. His dream was to make a difference with kids...and he did during his short life. A foundation was formed in his honor and they continue to help kids in his name. They have the Burls kids and a large group of kids are brought to all Ark home games (these are kids that would never get to go to a game). That of course is not all they do. Here is a link to the foundation website (http://www.brandonburlsworth.org/). Brandon's story is being made into a movie. I believe it will hit theaters sometime in 2012. It was co-written by the same guy that wrote Rudy and Hoosiers.

I am sure there are so many of these stories that never get talked about around the country. I love seeing stuff like this kind of stuff.

Again thanks for sharing silverfox.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

silverfox
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby silverfox » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:48 am

Dossenator wrote:Great story silverfox.

Here is one you will like as well...from Arkansas. This kid has been to several Ark practices, games, and has got to hang out with the coaches and team several times. A very sick kid and this was his dream. I am glad Petrino allowed it to comes true.
http://blogs.nwaonline.com/slophouse/20 ... omes-true/

And then there is the Brandon Burlsworth story out of Arkansas. Ark lineman...all american lineman, drafted by the Colts and then dies in a car accident before his first NFL season started. His dream was to make a difference with kids...and he did during his short life. A foundation was formed in his honor and they continue to help kids in his name. They have the Burls kids and a large group of kids are brought to all Ark home games (these are kids that would never get to go to a game). That of course is not all they do. Here is a link to the foundation website (http://www.brandonburlsworth.org/). Brandon's story is being made into a movie. I believe it will hit theaters sometime in 2012. It was co-written by the same guy that wrote Rudy and Hoosiers.

I am sure there are so many of these stories that never get talked about around the country. I love seeing stuff like this kind of stuff.

Again thanks for sharing silverfox.

Thanks Doss & Eric...

Yep the story of Caleb and the Brandon are also great stories. Sometimes we get so wrapped up in the fan fever that we forget these young men and their coaches touch so many lives outside of the football game but because of football. The sports generates so very much more than a two groups of sweaty men on a gridiron gladiating each other to seemingly bloody pulps. these guys are role models and their actions and fan actions define the sport in the way that needs more publicity than the rivalries that draw us in.

I hope more stories are posted like this so we can all enjoy one of the best side benefits of college football -- the human element.
Last edited by silverfox on Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Win or Lose - IT'S HOW YOU HYPE THE OUTCOME! BCS logic: When teams in the AQ conferences lose, it shows how tough those conferences are; when teams in non-AQ conferences lose, it is weakness.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:41 am

Wonderful, genuine stories. I believe there are stories like this at most every school in the country. I also think it is good to post them here...kind of makes this site have the same perspective we all seem to laud.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:35 am

What? Nobody posted the "Radio" story......I actually watched the movie which was unusual for me.

Aubrey Boyd, ex FSU athlete, is an inspiration . He is paralyzed from the neck down due to a pick up football game injury received in 1995. The boosters and Nole fans welcome Aubrey to the Noles sports events and contribute to the Aubrey Boyd foundation, administered by Coach Hamilton. Aubrey is most often seen courtside at the basketball games and he has a wheel chair spot in the football stadium.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:42 am

donovan wrote:Wonderful, genuine stories. I believe there are stories like this at most every school in the country. I also think it is good to post them here...kind of makes this site have the same perspective we all seem to laud.

There are stories like this at most every school.............Something that makes me think that not everyone at every program loses perspective.......Even when we sometimes do.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

silverfox
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby silverfox » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:46 am

billybud wrote:What? Nobody posted the "Radio" story......I actually watched the movie which was unusual for me.

Aubrey Boyd, ex FSU athlete, is an inspiration . He is paralyzed from the neck down due to a pick up football game injury received in 1995. The boosters and Nole fans welcome Aubrey to the Noles sports events and contribute to the Aubrey Boyd foundation, administered by Coach Hamilton. Aubrey is most often seen courtside at the basketball games and he has a wheel chair spot in the football stadium.

The Radio story is truly inspirational...

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:32 am

All are good stories. This is one area I think ESPN does a great job, they seem to lead all networks in showing the page 6 news. Page 6, for "Dreams Can Come True" in a world where the Night Mares and things that would not really be deemed so due to comfortable numbness fill the front page.

It is good to see that some people out pursuing difficult to achieve moments: Conference Championships, Bowl-Bids, a National Championship...take time for other things. Things that aren't really hard to do, yet, they last forever!
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Return to “General Discussion”