Nice Win for Virginia Tech

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
silverfox
Coordinator
Coordinator

Nice Win for Virginia Tech

Postby silverfox » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:39 am

A nail biter and after the first quarter looked as if Georgia Tech was going to run away with it --

But in the end with the help of a great 90 yard kickoff return They earned their W and now they can control their own destiny with three games left in the conference schedule.
8)
Win or Lose - IT'S HOW YOU HYPE THE OUTCOME! BCS logic: When teams in the AQ conferences lose, it shows how tough those conferences are; when teams in non-AQ conferences lose, it is weakness.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Nice Win for Virginia Tech

Postby billybud » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:57 am

Shows you the difference in a conference with some parity...a 5-4 GT gave VT all they wanted in this game and very easily could have won. They played with VT all game.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

silverfox
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby silverfox » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:59 am

Actually this year I believe there is much parity in most of College Football...
Win or Lose - IT'S HOW YOU HYPE THE OUTCOME! BCS logic: When teams in the AQ conferences lose, it shows how tough those conferences are; when teams in non-AQ conferences lose, it is weakness.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:05 am

Yeah...except in the WAC.

In the WAC, no team this year has beaten a team that is higher in the WAC standings...no team has beaten another WAC team as an underdog. Every year, the WAC has been rated as the conference with the least parity. Having lost only two games in ten years and never at home, Boise has a conference schedule where the wins can just be mailed in.

As someone said better than I..."Yes, it’s an exercise in superfluity to predict Boise State will win the WAC. However, for the record: Boise State will win the WAC. But that’s not interesting; or, at least, it doesn’t make for interesting writing. When you write the WAC preview from the perspective of somebody interested only in the team that makes it out, that plays in a BCS bowl, you reduce any number of results to a binary formulation: either Boise State wins the WAC and finishes undefeated, or Boise State wins the WAC and does not finish undefeated. The consequences you care about aren’t December’s crowning of a conference champion, but rather January’s bowl selection and results."
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

silverfox
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby silverfox » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:47 am

yeah I know. so bad so sad.

But this win for VT wasn't about the WAC... more the ACC...

Good luck to Florida State when they face VT. Perhaps parity at its finest....

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:06 pm

FSU will not face VT...I do not think.

I guess if FSU beats NC and Maryland and Clemson and NC State loses one, it might be possible. FSU does not control its destiny at present.

Too bad that GT's QB, Nesmith, got knocked out before the half...GT would have won that game, I think, with their QB playing in the second half.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:26 pm

No disagreement on the above from me. I am thinking the new MWC will be the WAC revisited by the time they are all done...so it may not be Boise, but some team may become dominant. (As a side note, the revenues in both the MWC and WAC may be less because of the shuffling and the availability of contracts...so the MWC reports. BYU may be the winner in all of this.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

silverfox
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby silverfox » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:03 pm

billybud wrote:FSU will not face VT...I do not think.

I guess if FSU beats NC and Maryland and Clemson and NC State loses one, it might be possible. FSU does not control its destiny at present.

Too bad that GT's QB, Nesmith, got knocked out before the half...GT would have won that game, I think, with their QB playing in the second half.

Yeah, you are right. FS Will not face VT. It is Miami, I think.

Donovan is right about the MWC. Thats pretty WACked, I think - the way it seems to be turning out. Boise's Achilles heel is its seating size that keeps it from moving forward. Just not big enough to play with the big boys.

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:23 pm

silverfox wrote:

Donovan is right about the MWC. Thats pretty WACked, I think - the way it seems to be turning out. Boise's Achilles heel is its seating size that keeps it from moving forward. Just not big enough to play with the big boys.

Boise State has about the same number of students that the University of Arkansas has (according to wikipedia...not yhe best source I know, but they have Boise at almost 20,000 and Arkansas right about 21,500).
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:38 pm

Dossenator wrote:
silverfox wrote:

Boise State has about the same number of students that the University of Arkansas has (according to wikipedia...not yhe best source I know, but they have Boise at almost 20,000 and Arkansas right about 21,500).

That I think is correct...but with all respect and not any amount of disparagement meant to, Boise is a good solid education school, not the same type of institution as the University of Arkansas in terms of research, graduate programs..etc. They will expand their football stadium...but that does not change the university's mission.

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:00 pm

Probably because I am overly opinionated and mouthy. But I just want to say that the "solid education" part of the College and University role should be THE essence of these institutions. I find Research and Graduation Programs both often do more to undermine education than they bolster or anchor it.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:44 am

And I disagree with you. Of course, it depends on how limited your scope is when you use the word "education"...and I use it in the broadest human sense.

If you are discussing the rudiments of the three "R"s, you might be right.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:32 am

billybud wrote:And I disagree with you. Of course, it depends on how limited your scope is when you use the word "education"...and I use it in the broadest human sense.

If you are discussing the rudiments of the three "R"s, you might be right.

I agree. The three R's should be taken care of in primary and secondary. College is to expand on your education.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:34 am

WoVeU wrote:Probably because I am overly opinionated and mouthy. But I just want to say that the "solid education" part of the College and University role should be THE essence of these institutions. I find Research and Graduation Programs both often do more to undermine education than they bolster or anchor it.

That hasn't been my experience and observation. At one time, conferences aligned themselves criteria. Size, libraries, compatibility of sports, geography, similar purposes overall. Now that we have gone to criterion alignment...who knows what the heck is going on.

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:24 pm

silverfox wrote:

I went to the game - it was an epic one to witness in person!

BTW - can't be VT-Miami - they're in same division. NC State controls its destiny in the Atlantic going into today.
"Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

Return to “General Discussion”